Sign in to follow this  
buglips*the*goblin

Reaper 02232 Karina of the Blade WIP

post-3313-0-27606100-1483910977_thumb.jpg

post-3313-0-75859000-1483910987_thumb.jpg

I still don't have replacement brushes, but I've been getting oddly useful results from my u-shaped brush and managed to heal a W&N Series 7 00 enough to help the terrible brush along.  I'd rather fight them a bit than take a painting break, because I've been going gangbusters since about mid-december.  I might fall out of the groove if I take a few days off. 

Since it's been a while since I last did a WIP, and as this one is very fresh and untouched, I thought I'd post her up as I went along.

I think you can see the rather large mold lines on the inside of her shield.  That's going to be trouble, but I think it's worth it.  I'm always a sucker for a nice Sandra Garrity fightin' lady.  I've already been picking at it, so she should be ready for primer soon.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 19

Nice mini.

A sharp exacto blade will take care of theat mold line.

Looking forward to see her painted.

Nice mini.

A sharp exacto blade will take care of theat mold line.

Looking forward to see her painted.

It's actually a mold crescent (you can see it in the store pics of the figure).  I ought to have taken a better shot of it.  Anyway, I think it's gone now so I'm putting on primer to find out.

• Like 6

post-3313-0-95648400-1483912361.jpg

post-3313-0-33683900-1483912374_thumb.jpg

Okay, looks like it came out.  I gouged the back of the shield a bit with my file (it's awkward to get around back there), but I didn't remove any detail.  Front of the shield came out okay, too, but that one wasn't so bad.  I think I hunted down all the other mold lines.  The shield has some mold removal funtimes going on, but the rest of the figure (this was bought around 2011, but the figure is from 1998) is well-cast and pretty crisp without much trouble. 

• Like 16

post-3313-0-78274400-1483914669.jpg

post-3313-0-59891100-1483914677.jpg

Anyone who has seen my other WIPs will remember that I like to work from dark to light, and that I'm generaly pretty sloppy about my blacklining.  So usually I'll paint a figure all over in brown liner or black.  Lately I've been doing something different - I have some Flames of War black, which as I understand is Army Painter black.  Anyway, this stuff is extreme black, and maintains its darkness even under heavy thinning.  This makes it eminently suitable to make washes out of.  So this is it thinned about 6:1, with a drop of reaper flow improver tossed in to make sure it gets in all the nooks and crannies.

As you can see, even thinned this much it is still quite black - but just thin enough that I can still clearly and easily see all the little details.  Going forward, this will be my new method.  It also dries pretty quick, so I'll be back soonish with some pictures of real painting.

• Like 16

I really like whatever colour the hair is, has a nice reddish hue.

I also find it perpetually amusing that she is called "... of the blade" when she's wielding a mace. Sometimes I'm easily amused. She's a very crisp sculpt, though! ^_^

• Like 4

I really like whatever colour the hair is, has a nice reddish hue.

I also find it perpetually amusing that she is called "... of the blade" when she's wielding a mace. Sometimes I'm easily amused. She's a very crisp sculpt, though! ^_^

It's pro paint aged red brick.  I'm trying out a new red hair recipe, see if it works.

• Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this