Arbiter10

Gothic Chess Set with Warlord minis

How did you make the board? This looks amazing. Sorry, if your blog says how, it won't load for me. (firewall issues)

Still, that is radical to the max.

• Like 3

I made it using Hirst Arts molds. If you're not familiar with them, you should definitely check them out (I don't want to violate board rules about external links; just do a Google search and you'll find the web site). It's a similar concept as Legos, except that you cast all of the bricks using high-quality rubber molds.

• Like 3

The castles/rooks are also Bruce Hirst's designs and made using the blocks.

Thanks for checking out the blog! Not sure why the pics aren't showing up. Do you have any filters active or anything like that? Maybe try a different browser?

• Like 1

I ::wub:: this so much!  I've wanted to do this for ages with my Hirst Arts blocks, but have never gotten around to it.  With Bones models, this would be very affordable and since you kept the models black versus white, fairly quick to paint I imagine, although it would still have taken a goodly amount of time given all the models you have there.  Its really inspiring ::adds to future projects list::

• Like 3

Thanks so much, vegascat! Bones models would make this much more affordable, thanks for bringing that up. Cost-wise, the minis were actually more expensive than the molds and the materials used to make the board!

Yeah, my original desire was to paint the minis like actual gaming minis, but I know my limits and I knew that I needed to keep it simple if I wanted to actually see it finished. You're correct, even in a classic black and white chess color scheme, it still takes a while to clean, base, prime, and drybrush 32 models!

• Like 2

Classic B&W is far superior - means you can actually play chess with this set and not get totally confused

this is incredible and i wholeheartedly endorse this project

AWESOME!

• Like 4

I've also wanted to construct this, but could never bite into the number of mold pours that are required.  I think my count was like 165 pours from 6 different molds.  I maybe get 6-8 a week for hobby related things, and this is just too much of a commitment.

Maybe a good retirement project.

• Like 2

I've also wanted to construct this, but could never bite into the number of mold pours that are required. I think my count was like 165 pours from 6 different molds. I maybe get 6-8 a week for hobby related things, and this is just too much of a commitment.

Maybe a good retirement project.

Leave off the building and just do the board? Keep the battlement and crenelated zone and just don't do anything below that.

• Like 3