Sign in to follow this  
gr33n

Cannot avoid chalking

So i'll preface this post with the current model (abandoned model) that I was working on http://imgur.com/a/o2u44

I ended up hating the colors and the reason is because I'm avoiding the colors I want which at the moment are purple/magenta. I for whatever reason cannot avoid chalking and the advice I have been given "go over it with the midtone" doesn't work if the midtone is also chalking

I have tried most of the reaper colors and today I tried

- vallejo game color warlord purple

- modelcolor magenta

- p3 murderous magenta

- GW screamer pink

It's driving me up a wall and I'm not sure what to do. I don't have good painters near me and this is the best forum for advice i've seen

Edited by gr33n
  • Like 3

The advice is mostly correct.  However, you're probably going to need a lot of thin mid-tone washes and I hate to say it, but you may also have to reapply your highlights if they get too dark.  Which bring might bring you back to more chalkiness, but in the end it'll work, it just takes a while.  Some other things you can try are to not use pure white (or white at all) when creating your highlights, try a brighter version of the same color.  When I paint P3 beaten purple, I use P3 murderous magenta as my first highlight and then P3 Carnal Pink as my final highlight in most cases.  If I want an even brighter pink, I may add a little P3 Menoth white highlight to the mix. 

Having said all that, I have intentionally made bright chalky highlights and then used an ink wash to make the whole thing are richer shade of whatever color I'm painting, which is basically the same thing I mentioned above with the midtone color.

I've often found that in addition to the amazingly helpful folks here, there are several great groups on Facebook.  Some of them (just as we do here sometimes) have live hangouts to hang out and share what they're working on and get advice.  Even if you can't do the live hangouts, most painters are friendly folks who are happy to help.   I hope this helps you somewhat.

Lastly, your model looks wonderful!  I'm a bit jealous of your abilities. 

• Like 3

The advice is mostly correct.  However, you're probably going to need a lot of thin mid-tone washes and I hate to say it, but you may also have to reapply your highlights if they get too dark.  Which bring might bring you back to more chalkiness, but in the end it'll work, it just takes a while.  Some other things you can try are to not use pure white (or white at all) when creating your highlights, try a brighter version of the same color.  When I paint P3 beaten purple, I use P3 murderous magenta as my first highlight and then P3 Carnal Pink as my final highlight in most cases.  If I want an even brighter pink, I may add a little P3 Menoth white highlight to the mix. 

Having said all that, I have intentionally made bright chalky highlights and then used an ink wash to make the whole thing are richer shade of whatever color I'm painting, which is basically the same thing I mentioned above with the midtone color.

I've often found that in addition to the amazingly helpful folks here, there are several great groups on Facebook.  Some of them (just as we do here sometimes) have live hangouts to hang out and share what they're working on and get advice.  Even if you can't do the live hangouts, most painters are friendly folks who are happy to help.   I hope this helps you somewhat.

Lastly, your model looks wonderful!  I'm a bit jealous of your abilities. 

I don't use washes and if the various glazes are causing chalkyness then nothing will fix it : /.

also I haven't even got to the white and there is chalkyness. I actually never have issues with my whites and highlights. it's always glazing the shades on certain colors (reds/purples sometimes adding black to certain colors)

I had THE WORST TIME with red originally but I switched over to a recipe from "glazed over" (not sure his real name) and now I paint red like a champ but I'm convinced i'm doing something wrong since all these purples are awful forme. ALSO ALSO the p3 murderous magenta seems to be chalky no matter WHAT i do. I have bought two bottles

Edited by gr33n

Are you thinning with just water, or are you also using matte mixing medium? Mixing medium prevents chalkiness in a lot of colors.

• Like 4

Are you thinning with just water, or are you also using matte mixing medium? Mixing medium prevents chalkiness in a lot of colors.

This. I use mixing mediums to remove chalkiness from skin colors and yellow and yellowish green colors. The only mixing medium I have access to is Reaper's brush on sealer, but hey it works. ^__^

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 2

Are you thinning with just water, or are you also using matte mixing medium

? Mixing medium prevents chalkiness in a lot of colors.

currently no. I have tried medium but not with these recent colors.

what would be a good ratio for me to start with? also p3 i believe is liquid pigment right? does that mean it needs a dif medium?

This. I use mixing mediums to remove chalkiness from skin colors and yellow and yellowish green colors. The only mixing medium I have access to is Reaper's brush on sealer, but hey it works. ^__^

brush on sealer? i have GWs lahmian medium and vallejo matt medium and glaze medium.

The matte medium would be similar. The flesh tones I went through was 2:1 and I want to say the yellowish green was 3:1 (I didn't jot this down in my notebook so I don't remember). Try the mix on a different miniature with the color sample you are attempting. Experimentation! WOo!

The matte medium would be similar. The flesh tones I went through was 2:1 and I want to say the yellowish green was 3:1 (I didn't jot this down in my notebook so I don't remember). Try the mix on a different miniature with the color sample you are attempting. Experimentation! WOo!

i'm so burnt on "figuring it out" but yeh here we go i'll do some shading right now with medium. assuming 2:1 paint to medium

Edited by gr33n

brush on sealer? i have GWs lahmian medium and vallejo matt medium and glaze medium.

The matte medium and lahmian medium should be the same thing. I use Liquitex, 8oz for about $15. Same stuff, lower price point.

• Like 2

And Vallejo's glaze medium is just matte medium with some extender added in to increase working time.  For dilution purposes they are pretty interchangeable.  pcktlnt is correct about experimentation.  The amount you need to thin a paint depends in part on the inherent opacity of the pigments in the paint.  A good rule of thumb is that darker duller paints require more thinning than your more vibrant highlight colors, but YMMV.

• Like 4

And Vallejo's glaze medium is just matte medium with some extender added in to increase working time.  For dilution purposes they are pretty interchangeable.  pcktlnt is correct about experimentation.  The amount you need to thin a paint depends in part on the inherent opacity of the pigments in the paint.  A good rule of thumb is that darker duller paints require more thinning than your more vibrant highlight colors, but YMMV.

YMMV is intimidating... am i too old at 29?

i tried with screamer pink and stil chalky as hell. this is sooooo frustrating

Edited by gr33n
  • Like 1

Are you thinning with just water, or are you also using matte mixing medium

? Mixing medium prevents chalkiness in a lot of colors.

currently no. I have tried medium but not with these recent colors.

what would be a good ratio for me to start with? also p3 i believe is liquid pigment right? does that mean it needs a dif medium?

I remember someone saying something to the effect that there is no such thing as "liquid pigment", it's probably just a buzzword term. But I haven't actually interrogated P3 reps personally to find out.

YMMV is intimidating... am i too old at 29?

You're probably too young. :;): Your Methods May Vary.

• Like 1

I remember someone saying something to the effect that there is no such thing as "liquid pigment", it's probably just a buzzword term. But I haven't actually interrogated P3 reps personally to find out.

I believe that came from Anne Foerster, here on the forums. I recall that same conversation.

• Like 2

ugh still chaking......... this color....

i'll try more tomorrow with GW medium or something. is too much medium bad? I had these colors doing well and then randomly one color would throw down an insane amount of chalk. My finished product had smaller streaks of chalkynessin it. The thing its not obvious unless you are inch from the model but thats enough to bother me

edit - gw medium is CAUSING chalking

Edited by gr33n
  • Like 1