Sign in to follow this  
Gargs

High Exemplar Kreoss by Privateer Press a Newbie WIP

So since I was kidding Ub3r earlier, I feel its only fair that I post my own WIP (which will likely be slow progress). 

post-12714-0-62401000-1484020506_thumb.jpg

This is High Exemplar Kreoss, a.k.a. Kreoss 1, a.k.a. pKreoss.  A Warcaster for the Protectorate of Menoth in Warmachine by PP.  This is just a quick shot of him primed (along with my lovely thumb as I had to hold it close to the light in order to get any of the details to stick out).  I should have an update tomorrow with some early base coating!

• Like 8

As promised, some progress.  Not much, but some.  I'm slow and don't get a lot of time to paint, but I'll take what I can get!

Got some of the initial base coating of the top of the model done plus an undercoat for some of the gold parts.  Also went ahead and did the sash since that is hard to reach with the weapon in the way, followed the sash (heather blue) up with some shade and highlights.  Not perfect but a good start on it at least.  Think I over-shaded it a bit, but alas.  

post-12714-0-49142500-1484061849_thumb.jpg

post-12714-0-28998000-1484061860_thumb.jpg

post-12714-0-62391100-1484061872_thumb.jpg

post-12714-0-74939900-1484061881_thumb.jpg

The brown areas (P3 Gun Corps Brown) will become gold.  Plan is for most of the armor to be red (base coated in Dragon Red) with some gold elements when I am all said and done.  The cloak I was originally thinking red as well, but that might be too much red.  The "official" scheme for this guy is mostly white which, frankly, gives me nightmares.  :p  But a dark red (P3 Sanguine Base) is the other main color used.  I'll see how it goes and may decide on a different color for the cloak, but that's the plan for now.

Just out of curiosity, I know that an undercoat works really well for golds, what about other metallics like silver or the various steels?  Do you use undercoats for them too?  If so what colors generally work well for you?

May not get any more progress today since I may have to take Mrs. Gargs to the movies tonight, but we'll see! 

• Like 7

good start.. looks like you have a plan and it is coming together.. keep pressing forward!

Thanks, hoping to get a bit of work in tonight.

• Like 1

A little bit of progress last night.  Slow and steady gets the job done . . . eventually . . . right?

post-12714-0-75613400-1484231967_thumb.jpg

post-12714-0-44260300-1484231991_thumb.jpg

post-12714-0-08656100-1484232000_thumb.jpg

post-12714-0-06927100-1484232010_thumb.jpg

Got some shade/highlights on the shoulders then started in on the gold parts.  Still need to shade/highlight the gold and honed steel and then work a bit on some of the details of the face.  Also got a touch of gold on the cloth around his neck so will have to clean that up later.  All in all not too bad for me for an hour's work or so.  

As always C&C are welcome, especially if it helps me get better!

Cheers!

• Like 6

Decent amount of work yesterday, Finished off the armor and robes and got all the gold base coated.  Been having issues with shading the gold though.  Seems as though its all or nothing with my shades on gold for some reason.  Either too much brown and it just looks brown instead of gold, or not enough gets on to have an effect.  I'm sure its a paint thickness issue, so may keep working on it some more.  On the flip side, I can live with unshaded gold on him.  :)

post-12714-0-88240500-1484515207_thumb.jpg

post-12714-0-52301500-1484515225_thumb.jpg

As for the robes, I think I may need to go back and do another round of highlighting as the highlights don't really seem to stand out.  Thoughts?  Could just be the dark red (HD Dragon Red) that I was using though as the dark reds seem difficult to highlight well.

Otherwise, I just have the weapon to finish and then clean up the base, which is good since I have a few minis I need to work on for my Pathfinder session next weekend!

As always, comments, critiques, suggestions most welcome!

• Like 8

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MusicalFeline
      So, before I go any further, I am an absolute rookie in the mini painting world. So, uh, prepare for the worst.  

Anyways, here's a trio of Kobold leaders. Yeah, I know there's six of them, but one got lost and the other two need a good bit more work, so it's just these three for now.

As I said, I'm completely new to this hobby, so any friendly critiques are welcome!

KNOWN FAULTS:
      I missed a couple spots on the first kobold leader's face.
      And a few other random spots elsewhere on all three.
      All of their bases look nasty...
      I didn't do their eyes, as I want to get a bit more familiar with this before I try doing something like that.

• By silentoutsidr
      Hi Everyone,

This is my first time sharing my miniatures step by step, and excited to do so. Hopefully I can learn some things and everyone else who views the thread will learn a bit too.
      I have been looking forward to the Starcadia board game and especially painting the minis that come with it. So first up is the Weeble alien monster. I picked it for 2 reasons, 1 because it was a simple model and I wanted to try my hand at the big eye. There are 4 total Weeble models and it took about 4-5 hours to get to the point in the last photo. I decided to mimic the illustration that came on the Weeble card in the game, so I am using a similar color scheme.

First step was prepping the model, and removing the mold lines. 2 of the 4 models had 2 bad areas on their left fin that left gaps and a rough spot. To fix it, I tried a new method, I put a little varnish on each area. If you haven't tried it, I definitely recommend it for small gaps or trouble areas that need filled or smoothed. I put a small dab on, let it dry and done, no need to pull out the putty.

2nd step was priming. I don't like the spray can so I use gesso. It might take a little longer, but no noxious fumes and extra space needed, just brush it on and let it dry. I just spread it thin and quick most of the time, hence the streaking in the picture. The streaking never shows on a finished mini from what I have experienced.

3 is where the fun began for me, choosing the colors and beginning to paint. My most recent elven minis, I started experimenting with different ways to do base coating and time around I am trying a colored base that is different that the final paint layer. I'm trying this out to see if I can reduce a step in my process and still get results I like. After examining the illustration, I settled on a blue-green for the body of the Weeble, and yellow for the eye. I plan on keeping with the warm yellow highlight in the front and the cold blue / purple shadow in the back. Once I decided that, I chose my basing colors, of a dark yellow brown for the front and dark blue purple for the back.

4 with the base shadows on the model, I started working from dark to light. I mixed up a glaze of a medium green and medium purple blue. I gradually worked up the colors with multiple layers making sure to blend the colors together where the transition occurred between them. I left the eye alone, because the dark yellow brown was perfect for the yellow eye.

5 once I was happy with the dark colors, I moved on to my mid-tones. I mixed up glazes of yellow green for the warm light and a blue green for the cold light. I took my time on this step again applying the glazes in layers to build up the color. I decided to try reflected / bounce lighting on the model, so I applied the blue green more on top of the model and the yellow green more on the bottom. I imagine the lighting being blue white (like a daylight bulb) which results a warmer reflected light in the areas not directly hit by the blue light.

6 after a while I moved on to the eye. I continued with painting dark to light, so I chose an orange brown for the light area and the same yellow brown and dark blue purple for the shadowed area. Again I gradually applied the glazes and blended them together.

Overall I am pleased with the direction it is going, and it is still far from done. I having gotten to the brightest highlights or even attempted the mouth yet. After that will be the finishing touches, the green slime, and scaly lumps. In the illustration the lumps are black but I don't think black will look good, any suggestions? I was also thinking of doing a slime trail, or more drool I've not done something like that before does anyone have any suggestions in the direction? Or should I not do a slime trail or more drool?

• By Zanderina
      Hello all! I'm working on the blacksting wyvern from bones 4, as you can see from the title. Getting ready to start base coating some color in and noticed an area I'm not sure if it is supposed to be anatomically correct or not filled In from when made. No it does not sit on anything either that they would plug into.
      Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

Happy painting and  stay safe! 
      -Z

• By Darcstaar
      Well, while I let Devona dry, I’ll switch gears to a mini off the shelf of waiting...

I started Kagunk, Ofre Chieftain a year or two ago.  

The plan is for an ice ogre, with blue-gray skin.
    • By Choppertown
      Hi all, my first post was answered by such warm and supportive folks I decided to have a crack at the ol' orc from Reaper mini training set #1. The left eye took me 6 tries (and twice that many curses.)  Really enjoying this new hobby, first time I tried was back in 1983 and it was a disaster.  Maybe patience does come with age.  :)
      #separatedbutnotseparate

• Who's Online   22 Members, 2 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)