Sign in to follow this  
Jasper_the_2nd

Jasper paints Oathsworn's Burrow and Badgers

tl;dr:  I'm painting bunnies!! (and other critters)

I'm finally wrapping up my painting projects left over from December, so I guess it is time to finally decide on some things to paint in 2017.

One of my goals for this year is to actually play some of the games I've bought figs for.

So far finding time to get a minis game going with the gaming group has been rather slow...been passing around the Frostgrave book since the fall, everyone seems interested, but haven't moved beyond that yet.

So, moving on to my other potential person to play against, my wife. While she like playing games, so far she hasn't found time to read the quick start rules for CAV:SO I put on her phone last summer, and her Rach army remains unpainted.

So perhaps something...cute and furry....

Burrows and Badgers seems like a perfect fit, and I've been dying to start painting them.  I've been slowly reading through the rules (the only time I ever seem to find time to read these days is when I go to bed, but then reading rules makes me sleepy...(no Michael, it's not your writing, I have partially read CAV:SO, Counterblast, MERCS and Timewatch sitting beside the bed too  ::D: )).

And the other night I showed her pics of all the figs from the first two kickstarters. And she seemed interested.But now the problem is she wants all my Bunnies....

Also, all the figs are 1 piece, so we can play even before all the figs are painted (I know they won't roll as well, but it will help with learning the rules).

And I get to paint all the awesome terrain Jo has made for B&B (and I may pull some out of the other Oathsworn boxes too).

And as a bonus, if/when we get to playing Frostgrave, I'm making a warband out of B&B figs.

So, I will dig out the figs and get a picture over the next few days, then get some figures prepped for painting.

Now where to start??   Maybe rats.....I don't want to do the bunnies until I get a few under my belt...

• Like 9

Had a few minutes while other things were drying, so had to dig out the figs.

post-8239-0-91340200-1484269373_thumb.jpg

The small box on top is from the first kickstarter. So let's see what goodies I have to paint in there.

post-8239-0-65209800-1484269372_thumb.jpg

It appears I ordered an extra of the awesome hare and massive badger.  Excellent.

And wow, had totally forgotten how much scatter terrain was included. Sweet.

• Like 16

I'll enjoy watching this... might even inspire me to paint the 30+ that I'm supposed to do before our next show (in the middle of February!)

• Like 5

I'll enjoy watching this... might even inspire me to paint the 30+ that I'm supposed to do before our next show (in the middle of February!)

I'm sure you can get those done up no problem!  It's not like (Dark 7) you have anything else (Ravenrodd) to work on (Cthulhu Zombie Gnomish Steam-Powered Mechs from Mars::D:

I'm hoping to have one or two done by mid-feb, and likely some terrain.

• Like 3

I also unpacked the Freelancers box last night.

post-8239-0-50464000-1484327263_thumb.jpg

I was wondering why the box was so much bigger than the first KS.  I'd completely forgotten about the awesome and massive terrain Jo made for this one!

I'm really looking forward to painting up some terrain.  But I'm thinking of getting some hard card or something to mount them on.  A lot of them have quite thin edges that I'm worried about chipping.

• Like 13

Did some sorting and started a bit of prep last night.

post-8239-0-12515500-1484412307_thumb.jpg

Think I will start with the shrews.  These have had the mold lines cleaned up.

post-8239-0-63242600-1484412304_thumb.jpg

Then I'll likely do the mice.

post-8239-0-07859300-1484412306_thumb.jpg

And then a small horde of rats.

Hopefully I'll get these all cleaned and primed over the weekend.

• Like 12

Got the mice and rats prepped last night.

post-8239-0-12014400-1484499830_thumb.jpg

Somewhere along the way it appears Gromley stole something from the rats, as they had the mice and shrews backed into the ruined tower.  Luckily the mouse hedge knight and shrew-zerker were able to hold them off until I got there.  Everyone settled down after a nice warm soapy bath.

This morning everyone got primed.

post-8239-0-88486300-1484499828_thumb.jpg

The terrain pieces in the background got washed last night as well and will get primed at a later date.

Once the primer is dry I'll need to go over them all for the inevitable missed mold lines.

My plan for now is to paint these at work, so it will be a day or two to finish up my cat paladin for my wife, then on to these.

Terrain will get painted at home.

• Like 14

Gotta love a job that enables you to hobby while you work!  :)

• Like 3

Gotta love a job that enables you to hobby while you work!  :)

Its just the hour at lunch, but most days that's all the painting I get in, so it has greatly increased my productivity.  Its also helped me determine how much I think I can do in a hour.

Of course with my new painting room I'm hoping to get more productive at home too!

• Like 3

Well, seeing as I have no idea on exactly what colours I'm going to be using for fur, I've loaded my work paint case with every brown, grey, black, flesh, red-brown, yellow-brown, and combination I could find, plus some whites and pinks. And a few metals of course...there are weapons and armor!

These don't actually fit in my work paint case (which is an old tool box).  So I also have my new holiday paints case with the overflow, including the 3 triads I'm also using for some bases I'm working on at home, so it will travel back and forth for a few days.

• Like 3

So.... paint!

post-8239-0-03014800-1484760129.jpgpost-8239-0-73008200-1484760129.jpg

Sorry the front shot is a bit blurry, that was the best of the 3 I took.

Decided to go with the full base coat, since I really wasn't sure what colours I was going with.  From the pictures I looked at shrews are all over the range in browns.  

Had some trouble deciding on the line for the dark and light fur split, but think I'll stick with just his might abs and chest in the light.

Took some time deciding if his right arm covering was a fancier metal bracer, or a leather wrap with cord holding it.  Decided on the later.

And did the pants in grey for now, but think they might look good in a blue.....I just didn't have any blues with me.

Still lots to do but that gives me a good idea of where I want to go with him.

• Like 15