Sign in to follow this  
Jasper_the_2nd

Jasper paints Oathsworn's Burrow and Badgers

More work on the Shrew-zerker. Mostly on the fur.

post-8239-0-98947700-1484846098.jpg

Here we have a rare "in the middle of a session" picture, since I never remember to take any.  I wanted to get a bit of black into the fur, so instead of my usual "wash brown with brown"  I used AP Dark Tone, which is their black wash.

Once dry I drybrushed, first the original colour, Dark Shadwo, then some Harvest Brown, which is a little orange-y.  I like it so far, not sure if it needs a lighter highlight (so probably it does).

The hands/wood, feet, arm wrap all got AP Strong Tone.  Tried some Stained Ivory for the claws.

Chest got a thin coat of the strong tone too, then heavy Linen White over it.  Trying to accentuate his "mighty abs".

And put some Shadowed Steel on the axe and metal arm thingy. All highlights on the axe are just from the lights, although they look pretty good.....

post-8239-0-32442200-1484846098.jpgpost-8239-0-71814800-1484846099.jpg

Still a bunch to do, but he's coming along nicely I think.

BTW, he will be based at the end and have his integrated base blended in since he needs to be on a 30mm base for the game.

• Like 14

Was busy at lunch today, so no progress on the Shrewzerker.

But while working on some other stuff I took a few minutes to prime the first piece of terrain.

post-8239-0-27558100-1484964783.jpg

Trying out the primer sample that came in my ReaperCon swag bag.  Assuming it works out ok I'll likely use it for all the terrain.  I don't really have anywhere to spray prime in the winter and even though this is a "sample" it's a good sized bottle.

Anyone else try it out?

• Like 11

At home I pretty much finished up some basing for other figs that needed finishing, so I can start focusing on terrain (and basing these figs as they get finished).

Today I finally had a an uninterrupted lunch and got lots done.

post-8239-0-45997600-1485368660.jpgpost-8239-0-13439900-1485368661.jpg

I think I've about finished up everything but the pants and belt.  Kind of liking the grey so maybe I'll keep them grey and work from there.

Should hopefully get him finished up the next session and start on the next one.

• Like 16

So, some interesting news.  My wife's back was bugging her this morning, and the boy is driving himself to his exam, so by the time I was ready for work she was already bored sitting there with a hot pack on her back.  So I go and get her the B&B rules I'd printed off for her (just the game play rules, didn't want it too intimidating).  2 hours later, she's already read them, been surfing online looking at painted figs, and asking which ones she can paint and when she can start.   ::D:

This is not a level of enthusiasm with games, or painting, that I'm used to from her, so I'm thrilled.

The only downside I can see is that she'll probably need some of my browns at home to paint....so I might need order more paint.....did I say downside??  :devil:

• Like 7

So, some interesting news.  My wife's back was bugging her this morning, and the boy is driving himself to his exam, so by the time I was ready for work she was already bored sitting there with a hot pack on her back.  So I go and get her the B&B rules I'd printed off for her (just the game play rules, didn't want it too intimidating).  2 hours later, she's already read them, been surfing online looking at painted figs, and asking which ones she can paint and when she can start.   ::D:

This is not a level of enthusiasm with games, or painting, that I'm used to from her, so I'm thrilled.

The only downside I can see is that she'll probably need some of my browns at home to paint....so I might need order more paint.....did I say downside??  :devil:

Yeah, not seeing any downside there.  :P  

Kind of reminds me of the old Playstation commercials with the "representative" from Sony who was taking complaints and a guy complaining that all his girlfriend wants to do is watch the "movie" Drake's Fortune.  The representative's response?  "Yeah, I'm gonna file this under 'Not Actually a Problem'".  :)

• Like 4

Today's painting.  Going to call the Shrewzerker done, in the "take him home, gloss coat, him and start on basing him" sense of the term.

post-8239-0-60709300-1485454169.jpgpost-8239-0-43474400-1485454171.jpg

had a bit of time left over so started on the Shrew Warrior.

post-8239-0-35234000-1485454170.jpgpost-8239-0-76060400-1485454168.jpg

Kept the skin colours the same but when with Russet Brown for the fur base.  We'll see how that goes.

• Like 13

Wow, been almost a month.  My wife hurt her back (she's much better now) and couldn't do much for a couple of weeks.  That meant my work load at home more than doubled, since I was doing my stuff, plus her stuff, plus taking care of her and keeping her from trying to do stuff that would just aggravate her back more.  Add in a really crappy week of on call (I had one uninterrupted night's sleep), far too many meetings, and having to sort out some other stuff, and no painting got done.

But I was supposed to get a bunch of painting done this week.  My wife is away in Florida visiting relatives, and I'm having a stay-cation at home. Kid was supposed to be at school every day, house nice a quiet, get lots done.

Instead it has been constant snow storms, the kid only had school on Wednesday, 3 days were cancelled due to weather, teachers staged a one day strike today for reasons that don't need discussing....

I've lost track of how many hours I've spent with the snow blower this week, but my back and neck tell me it was too much.

But hey, I did get a start on some terrain.  Been priming and now I've started with some actual paint.

post-8239-0-40843000-1487392385_thumb.jpg

Not trying anything fancy with these.  They are going to be scatter terrain for the game. 

What do you think of the plaster base colour on the one that has it done?

• Like 10

If you are referring to the middle one with the Plaster on the wall.. its a good start.. needs a bit more highlight of white over the surface  (possibly a very light drybrush)

• Like 4