Arena Rex Medusa (linked for translucent fabric)

odinsgrandson

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's astounding!  I wish the sculptor had left her face exposed though.

I usually feel that way- but just this once, I really love the veil.  I think that it is because it adhere's to her skin so well that I can actually show some of the face beneath the veil (at least to some extent).

I've heard that in traditional sculpting, a veiled face is considered one of the top challenges to an artist.  I've always thought the depiction of translucency in an opaque, non colored medium to be breathtakingly beautiful.

http://viola.bz/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/statue-of-the-Blessed-Virgin-Mary-in-marble-by-Strazza-2.jpg

Medusa here is the very first time I've ever seen that sort of technique applied to a mini- otherwise veils tend to be portrayed as opaque pieces (please correct me if there are others out there- I'd love to paint them).  

So maybe I'm a bit bias towards her.

Last Gencon, I pointed out the AR lineup to a lot of my painter friends (ok, a lot of them already knew how good AR minis are).  I know Marike went home with a Medusa- I'm really excited to see what she does with it (I imagine it will involve a lace pattern on the fabric).  

I could talk others into painting up AR minis, but not medusa.

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 6

That's astounding!  I wish the sculptor had left her face exposed though.

I usually feel that way- but just this once, I really love the veil.  I think that it is because it adhere's to her skin so well that I can actually show some of the face beneath the veil.

Last Gencon, I pointed out the AR lineup to a lot of my painter friends.  I know Marike went home with a Medusa- I'm really excited to see what she does with it (I imagine it will involve a lace pattern on the fabric).

Michelle pointed them out to me as well at ReaperCon. Word of mouth works

Phenomenal work as always sir.

I have had this mini for a while, I just pull it out and look at it every once in a while.

I am actually just tempted to paint it as a statue just so I can display it, yes, I find the sculpt that appealing.