Shin Okada

Looking for some nice tentacles

Wow, that is a cool project! 

I had a problem getting primer to cure on a rubbery plastic toy once when I was building a froghemoth mini out of a squeaky frog toy (I made the tentacles out of green stuff but they did not come out near as nice as the squidly ones you've got there).  It stayed tacky instead of drying out.  The fix offered by Joe Kutz was to soak the toy in mineral oil (baby oil) overnight, or maybe it was for a few days, to make the chemicals that make the plastic flexible (and inhibit the curing of the primer) leach out into the oil.  Worked pretty good, and I also found it useful for making perma-bent plastic D&D minis stand up straight (clamp/tie them in an upright posture before a days-long long soak), if the repositioning was not too drastic. 

I soaked the tentacles of the giant squid toy in J&J's baby oil for 2 nights. It stiffened nicely. But the problem is, though I washed those bits for 2 times with soapy water, they are still ... oily.

I wonder if those bits have absorbed the baby oil or plasticizer was melted by the oil and still effusing.

I will try soaking the bits in soapy water for a night or two. But do you have any idea or recommendation for solving this problem?

post-879-0-66052200-1486097083_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

IIRC I used Dawn dish detergent to clean the baby oil off mine.  It's the go-to common household product for cutting through oil and grease, works better than other dish detergents.  That was a few years ago; I do not recall if I had to let it soak.

Good luck!

Kang

• Like 1

Hi! For several months, I have been busy assembling/painting other miniatures. Now I have re-started this project and finally attached the tentacles onto the brain model. After cleaning up some detail, I will prime it and start to paint. Unfortunately, now the tentacles are dangling onto much lower places than I was expected when I started this project. So now, instead of the flying base stem, I have to use some clear plastic pole or pipe, I guess.  

P9230001.JPG

P9230002.JPG

P9230003.JPG

P9230004.JPG

• Like 9

That did become a TRULY CREEPY creation. Having it floating over the noxious looking well was a splendidly imaginative idea.

It is a BEAUTIFULLY converted & painted one of a kind piece. VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 8:55 AM, Kang said:

Wow, that is a cool project! 

I had a problem getting primer to cure on a rubbery plastic toy once when I was building a froghemoth mini out of a squeaky frog toy (I made the tentacles out of green stuff but they did not come out near as nice as the squidly ones you've got there).  It stayed tacky instead of drying out.  The fix offered by Joe Kutz was to soak the toy in mineral oil (baby oil) overnight, or maybe it was for a few days, to make the chemicals that make the plastic flexible (and inhibit the curing of the primer) leach out into the oil.  Worked pretty good, and I also found it useful for making perma-bent plastic D&D minis stand up straight (clamp/tie them in an upright posture before a days-long long soak), if the repositioning was not too drastic. 

Was it spray primer? For toy plastic, spray primer will become tacky, for reasons you've already outlined. However, in my experience, paint on primer (Vallejo, Reaper, whatever, as long as it's acrylic) works just fine, as does gesso.

• Like 3

Yeah, I had tried to prime my rubbery plastic toy frog with Tamiya fine surface primer IIRC, a waste of the good stuff as it turned out.  That may actually have been the final straw that made me give up using anything on minis that comes out of a spray can.  Brush-on everything for me ever since, just too many hassles with dullcote, primers, you name it.

Holy moly that elder brain scene pic is amazing.  Thanks for the update, Shin!

Kang

• Like 1