Darcstaar

Tyranny of Dragons: Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Part I of the Tyranny of Dragons Campaign

A Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Campaign

by Wolfgang Baur and Steve Winter

Published by Wizards of the Coast, and Kobold Press

Copyright 2014

For the past several days, you have been traveling a road that winds lazily across the rolling grasslands of the Greenfields.  You decided to push on in your travels to try to reach town before dusk.  Sundown is approaching when you top a rise and see the town of Greenest just a few short miles away.  But instead of the pleasant, welcoming town you expected, you see columns of black smoke rising from burning buildings, running figures that are little more than dots at this distance, and a dark winged shape wheeling low over the keep that rises above the center of the town.  Greenest is being attacked by a dragon!

Suddenly, a terrified human family consisting of a mother, father, and three young children erupt from the undergrowth onto the Greenway, about 20 feet in front of you.  The man limps badly, carrying his youngest child, and trying to usher his other children away from danger.  All five seem at least minimally wounded in some way.  Their mother turns, and lowers the point of a broken spear back toward her pursuers, and readies her round shield.  She looks determined to slow down her pursuers as much as possible to give her family a chance to survive. 

Just then, a group of eight kobolds stream out of the underbrush, fanning out to surround the woman.  Either they don't see your group, or they think you are on their side, because they don't seem to pay you any mind.

What do you want to do?

OOC: Well... I want to prevent loss of life here. Does Daton have time to place himself between the Kobolds and the fleeing family? And hope either his allies will join him or convince the kobolds to depart or even bluff them somehow.

Deckard approaches the kobolds, his rapier rasping free from it's sheath.  Stopping 15ft away, he hisses in Draconic, insulting the size of their birth clutch while infusing his words with power (Vicious Mockery: Will save DC 14 or take 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on it's next attack roll before the end of it's turn.)

16+4=20 I'd draw my bow, take aim at the kobald nearest the children. "Shoo you stinky skink!"

(2 extra Rolls 11+15)

Daton bravely rushes forward to interpose himself between the mother and the kobolds, just as Deckard strums a dissonant tune on his lute while berating a kobold in their native tongue.

(Wisdom save 12-2=10 roll damage for vicious mockery). Deckard then shoulders the lute and draws his rapier as he closes to 15 feet.

Rolen nocks an arrow, seeming to beg a kobold to make a wrong move.

(Initiative Roll 8 +0 = 8)  Talbard will move forward with his warhammer and shield ready for action and to help shield the family as well.

Upon seeing the dragon, Klaus will arm himself with his shield & will grip his axe. Knowing that he wouldn't stand a chance vs the beast he still feels like he can at least give the family a chance to escape. When the kobolds appear he erupts into a roar,  & will charge at them. His slow feet thou betray him. (Init: 9)

• Like 1

Deckard 23

Rolen 20

Daton 13

Klaus 9

Talbard 8

Kobolds 3

Imagine the kobolds are in a semicircle focused on the mother. The closest is 10 feet away, the farthest is 35 feet away. They are all next to each other, and all are 10 to 20 feet away from the mother.

So, Deckard has gone with Vicious Mockery.  That Kobold is still alive. We'll call him Kobold 1.

Rolen, if you'd like, you may fire at a Kobold.

Then Daton is going to rush in to protect the Family.

If there is a kobald within 5 feet of one of my allies and the children are safe, I'll aim at one near the ally for the sneak attack. If not, I'll aim at the one closest to the family.

10+6=16

1+4=5 (sneak attack 4) =9

"Hey wanna be lizardmen, go pick on someone your own size, like a pixie!"

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AussieAusborn
      Greetings y'all!

I'm starting this thread to use as a painting blog, to help catalog my journey, and to use as a source of ongoing motivation. I have a LOT of stuff I've been putting off, that I want to get through for a homebrew campaign I'm working on, and some warbands for Frostgrave, as well. So, I'll take any extra motivation I can get Once I actually finish pieces, I'll make sure to post them in that part of the forum.

To start things off, I have a dragon I've been working on for a couple of weeks, and just got to the point where it's "good enough for now," although definitely not finished. It's easily my favorite piece I've ever owned, so I put off doing any work on it until I was "good enough" to do the piece justice. That is, until I realized that would never happen , so I decided to:

1) Do the darned thing
      2) Do some work on it every day
      3) Push myself outside my comfort zone to try new things
      4) Be patient and forgiving with myself
      5) To not freak out when I try something that I don't like, and just go ahead and fix it

There's still a good amount to do to it (I have a list with 15 bullet points on it, and growing!), but I'm happy enough looking at it, and want to take a break to focus on some other pieces.

I took some progress shots (though perhaps not as many as I'd have liked). So please, join me as we journey through my learning experience:

I fully assembled the mini before putting down any paint. Here's where the mini was after a couple days work, about 4-5 hrs. I used an airbrush to give it a zenithal undercoat with black and white, and then to lay in the base coats of the red and blue. I then painted the underbelly and the wing-fingers with a brush.

Here, I'm trying to show the work I've done (still fairly subtle, at this point) on building up the vibrancy/transitions on the red skin/scales. I was fairly happy at this point, as I could start to see that I might actually be able to paint this to the standard I want.

The next day, I did some work on the face, horns, and blocked in the body spikes. I generally liked the mouth and tongue, but felt it was a bit vibrant. I thought the blue on the horns was alright, but also wasn't completely sold on it.

Here's where it was after another `30min of work. Since I felt the tongue was too much, I did something about it! I did a very light glaze with a grey, just to knock down the saturation a bit. Looks better. I added some more blue to the horns, and still wasn't quite happy with it. Picked out the teeth, which is nice, easy bit of definition. And that eye!!! It looked much better than I expected, although that's the last time it would be that well defined...

Here it is after another couple days of progress, building up that red (it takes soooooo long on something this big!!!!), as well as more work on the mouth/face. I'd accidentally painted over the eye (which becomes a recurring theme in this tale ), so I blocked in some color, just to separate it from the face. I added a glaze of 'RMP's fair skin' to the tongue, and now I'm lovin' it. Also added some fleshy-ness to the gums on the upper jaw (though it's a little hard to tell), and that was definitely another good decision.

Here I continued to build up the red, progress is slow but steady. Not pictured (which is unfortunate, because it was a good learning experience) is my attempt to redo the horn entirely, to a scheme that was a transition of bone to brown to black at the tip...I was really unhappy with it. I had the bone starting around the eye ridges in at attempt to add more contrast and draw the viewer's eye towards the face, but it just looked awful. So I spent a good while redoing the horn and fixing the whole face. I'm glad I made that mistake, as I think the face looks much better than it did before I started on the horn. Part of that was adding in a new level of bright highlights.

Here's the mini in some soft lighting, and although the picture is kinda blurry, it better shows the transitions throughout the red. I think this was also the point where I started working on shading the red, by applying a light blue-black glaze to the shaded areas, which really helped add some contrast to the piece.

I had an accident that almost gave me a heart attack, where the figure seemingly jumped off the desk Luckily, I caught it before it hit the ground, and it sustained no major damage. It did separate where the dragon attaches on to the base, and although that was a little frustrating, it ended up being a happy little accident, as it made it MUCH MUCH easier to work on the base. I started by putting down some paints and pigments, until it was at a place I thought was ok. Also, the rock spire that it's curled around was originally about 6 inches taller, which I cut off to better see all of the dragon. So, I started work on sculpting a new top. I started by building up thin layers of cardboard with superglue, to level it off (it had quite a slant to it). Then I mixed up some greenstuff, and tried to match the overall flow and texture of of the rocks. Although not a perfect match, it's close enough to not be distracting. Mission accomplished!! The pillars were a part of the mini.

And here's the beast in its current state. I painted the newly sculpted top to match what I'd already done, and left the pillars with a super quick drybrushing. I touched up the eye to look acceptable (it's on my 'to do' list), added some grass tufts to the base, and was happy to leave it be like this, for a time. The final pic is another attempt to 'more accurately'  show the value transitions with the red, though the colors seem a tad washed out.

Thanks for taking a look at my work, and for reading my ramblings! C&C is welcome  As I said, I have a to do list for the dragon, but I'm not afraid to add more to it!!! I'll strive to make a post in here a few times a week, and eventually you'll get to see a completed dragon!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that once the dragon broke away from the base (super cleanly, luckily), I took the opportunity to redo the underbelly on the whole model, darkening it up some. And along the neck, I experimented with wet blending for the first time! I've been apprehensive to try it before, but decided this was a good spot to experiment, as it's a large enough area, but felt less...consequential, I guess, if I messed it up. And I'm pretty pleased with the result!

Next up: Frostgrave warbands for me and my brother!
    • By Darcstaar
      I’ve been working on this dragon too.
      It has some serious lean.  In order to try to address this, I cut the front feet away from the back feet, and from each other.  I was hoping gluing the to the base separately would do it, but no!

Still serious lean.
      I decided to pin the feet to the base, but as I played with it, realized the back feet, left and right front feet would all have to be at different levels.  

It’s now straight and erect.  I had to chop and reposition the tail for this, or else the tip dipped below the level of the base.  Now I need to sculpt green stuff supports around these pins.  Then I’ll try to turn them in to rocks.
    • By Darcstaar
      Starting up another, now that Janan is done.
      Satheras, Male Warlock.  He had a really bent staff.  On the behind shot you can see I cut it off at the hand, wedged a bit out and re glued it into a straighter angle.  I also cut him off his integral base, since it had no texture.

Hoping to try to get a little better at OSL on him, with a green gem in the staff.
    • By Consequence
      I have had this dragon "mini" for a while but couldn't decide on a color. I don't have a lot of green miniatures so it's now green. 

• By Darcstaar
      Brought some painting models for vacation.  Finished the Hell Hound last night, didn’t WIP it.

Had Yephima on my shelf of shame for a long time.  If it ends up 1/100 as good as the studio version I’ll be happy.  Plan on light blue skin and silvery hair, like the Bestiaries suggest.  Other than that, not sure...

Here she is primed with Brown Liner.  That’s gonna take some work to get the skin tones brighter.
  • Who's Online   29 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)