buglips*the*goblin

06053 DHL Army Pack Skeletons With Swords and Shields

post-3313-0-17067900-1484947672_thumb.jpg

Primed and given a blackwash.  It didn't quite take in a couple of spots, so I'll have to go over again to get those.  On normal figures I'd leave it, since there's a lot going on paintwise and it's likely I'll have to go back to fix my lining anyway.  But with skeletons, the dark recesses are essentially the deepest basecoat so they have to be cleaned up.

• Like 7

These guys are great.  And supper fun to paint.  I like the two handed sword version a little better visually, but the sword and shield ones remind me of the movie The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

jason1.jpg

***   or was it Jason and the Argonauts?...  

Edited by DixonGrfx
  • Like 4

It was Jason & The Argonauts (there is a skeleton fight in 7th Voyage of Sinbad in the magician's lair, it was the prototype for the Jason scene). 

I looked up the insignia on the Argonaut skelly shields to see if that'd be neat to do, but it would take more time than I want to spend.  It is definitely something I'd like to try later when I don't have pressure to get numbers of them ready.

• Like 3

post-3313-0-75613600-1484962527_thumb.jpg

post-3313-0-11127100-1484962535.jpg

It turned out that the blackwash didn't work very well.  It didn't flow into everywhere it needed, was patchy in parts, and was too glossy in other parts for the MSP Bone Shadow to go over smoothly.  I thus decided to basecoat them all in MSP Brown Liner, which should fix the issues.

While there, I decided to do the shaow color on the base - old pro paint shade darkened up with a lot of brown liner.

• Like 8

I like what you're doing.

It was Jason & The Argonauts (there is a skeleton fight in 7th Voyage of Sinbad in the magician's lair, it was the prototype for the Jason scene). 

I looked up the insignia on the Argonaut skelly shields to see if that'd be neat to do, but it would take more time than I want to spend.  It is definitely something I'd like to try later when I don't have pressure to get numbers of them ready.

If you do not want to spend much time on it, but do want the designs...

You can order decals from Foundry or Warlord for such things. Google Greek Shield design and you might even be able to print free stuff out on transparent paper?

• Like 1

post-3313-0-98810900-1485038809_thumb.jpg

post-3313-0-86149500-1485038817_thumb.jpg

post-3313-0-54279000-1485038828.jpg

post-3313-0-29750300-1485038837_thumb.jpg

Before I found myself compelled to go and spend 3 hours clearing snow, I managed to put on the Aged Bone midtone, do the bases with old pro paint sage, and paint the swords and shields with some old pro paint pewter mixed with opp armor grey.

• Like 9

post-3313-0-55433100-1485056328.jpg

post-3313-0-30316400-1485056336.jpg

post-3313-0-20385100-1485056348_thumb.jpg

post-3313-0-11931400-1485056358_thumb.jpg

Skeletons all have their top highlight of MSP polished bone now.  They look very spooky now! 

To celebrate this milestone, I started in on some simple, colorful designs for their shields.  And then my hand cramped quite badly, so I guess that's the end of fun time for tonight. 

• Like 11