Haven't had much time to take photo's of a WIP on the warband I've been working on but now that I'm done with them and can work on individual figures at time I figured I would show you guys what I'm working on. 

post-13341-0-77808600-1484932872_thumb.jpg

• The cloak is painted in Monarch Purple
  • then washed in Reaper Brown wash to dull it
    • This is done because of the free hand pattern I'm planning on putting on it I want to be subtle but noticeable.
  • The horizontal lines on the cloak are done in Monarch purple. You can see how the brown wash really dulled the purple to make the original color pop a bit more.
    • These are guidelines as the moment. 

post-13341-0-70640200-1484932873_thumb.jpg

• To keep the coloration similar I did what I like to call a wash-invert. The brown is washed with a diluted Monarch Purple and the Purple is washed in Browns. And the browns look very purple in the photo but they are not that bad. The center armored tunic is paint VLJ German Grey then the recess' are washed in Gloss black. The Belt is painted in gloss black.

This is really just surface stuff right now. I'm going to get into it this weekend.

I got bored and had him primed while working on my warband and did some of his base.

• Like 12

Very Nice!

Love the Purple!

Very nice so far!  I'm a fan of your purple cloak so far.

Thanks y'all I wanted to do purple but not a bright one, just kind of like... a sinister one. 

• Like 1

After drawing the lines I made a few connection and drew hexagons on it. From there I began filling in the sections (triangles). 

Colors used in order:

1. Monarch Purple 
  2. Brown wash (dropping the tone)
  3. Monarch purple (to draw the lines)
  4. Monarch Purple for base fill in
  5. A touch of Imperial Purple mixed with Monarch to shade up the purple sections
  6. VLJ German Grey mixed with Monarch Purple (to do the darker sections. 

Not pictured: I used more Imperial purple to hit the higher sections of the purple diamonds. It looks good. I'll take pictures tonight. :) 

3 Rothmartyn Back FILLING in.jpg

I got a fortune cookie last week that seems to like my color scheme for Rothmartyn. HAHA.

Spoiler

58ee321342210_0RothmartynCloakpattern.jpg.fa3c52aa8b5c096550b6ebc171a45c66.jpg

Edited by Arc 724
Added a picture of the pattern I did for Rothmartyn's cloak
  • Like 11

Here are the photo's I was talking about. Better look at the hood too!

4 Rothmartyn BACK Ligten up.jpg

5 Rothmartyn Front Head Lighten up.jpg

• Like 11

Worked on the dark sections of the cloak over the weekend. I started with using a middle grey and add Royal Purple to it to darken it then moved up with with a light. Everything in their still has a grey tint to it. Also tried to make the purple pop a bit.

58ecdb1860662_6RothmartynBlacksandgreys.jpg.5496e671a8db362096b80e492f19baf3.jpg

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 12

Really interesting process. I am glad you are sharing. Freehand is something I am still not confident with so seeing the steps from someone else helps me immensely.  Purple is also my favorite color so that's a bonus!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pochi said:

Really interesting process. I am glad you are sharing. Freehand is something I am still not confident with so seeing the steps from someone else helps me immensely.  Purple is also my favorite color so that's a bonus!

So I decided to draw out the pattern I painted on the cloak that helped me. I didn't do it with a ruler like I did the picture and you can kind of tell. But I'm also working with curves and what not with the cloak. 

Basically, I drew the horizontal lines first then the criss-cross, then painted it in as I saw fit. I have added it to the photo above when I actual did it. But here it is again in a spoiler bar.

I learned that from Bailey here on the forums. He paints larger stuff and uses a measuring device, a toothpick he has marked up, if I'm not mistaken.

Spoiler

58ee321342210_0RothmartynCloakpattern.jpg.fa3c52aa8b5c096550b6ebc171a45c66.jpg

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 5

UPDATE

Texture is the name of the game this weekend! 

I worked on leather straps, bags and belts. As well as the tunic that looks slightly redish in nature. I was going for texture and I think I got it, what do you'll think? Good, bad, ugly? 

• I painted the whole Tunic in a red/brown color (sorry forgot the name of the paint) 
  • This dotted (or stippled) with a bright orange and a super dark brown. Then glazed over it with the original red/brown. 
  • Lastly, I took a dark brown (I think it was walnut brown) diluted it down and used it to shade the shadows. I used no actual "blacks" to paint the tunic parts (legs & arms)

I touched up the pants a bit more. I think I need to go over it with some Pure Black in the shadows to make it appear more black. It looks good for now.

Lastly, I approached the eyes and face and it turned out better than I had thought. I actually dont have to use a magnifier for the eyes anymore. And Red Box Games figures have TINY eye holes.

I did not work on the hair at all, as you can tell.

Ohh I forgot to take a picture of his back. I did the bow and quiver. I went with a black/grey wood colored bow and then did a duel tone quiver. I'll take a picture If I remember too.

7 Rothmartyn TEXTURE Tunic and bag.jpg

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 9

Took a back picture to show the bow and the quiver. I have not done the arrows yet.

Additionally showing the gloves and tunic sleeves.

8 Rothmartyn BACK Bow Q.jpg

Even though I always forget to put this. I am very open to suggestion on all of my pieces? Is there something more you would like to see me attempt. By all means recommend it. The push always motivates me more. Thank you in advance fellow forumnites!

Edited by Arc 724
Declaration for Suggestion
  • Like 11

Great idea, great execution.

Oddly enough, the quiver is very eye catching!  I like that effect.

My advice would be to try to gradually lighten the cloak diamonds as you go toward the head.  The part by the left arm is brighter, which sells the lighting, but then a few lower down got the same level of brightness, so it disrupts the effect.

If that makes sense?

• Like 1