Krylon Craft Foam Primer(update on page 2)

chaoshead

I stumbled on this while looking for something to prime my new foam terrain set.

http://www.krylon.com/products/craft-foam-primer/

An internet search later and I found some locally, purchased and experimented.

It says it creates a thin durable primed surface that seals the foam and makes it safe to spray with other aerosol paints.

20170123_155957_zpsypm61rkm.jpg

Well, it is definitely thin and is not going to hide any detail, I will apply two coats just to be safe.

20170123_160058_zpsgzgg1jpp.jpg

It dries pretty quick, this is two coats with one hour between coats then one hour to dry.

Here is the true test, black aerosol spray paint....

20170123_160518_zpsmtbsrbu8.jpg

...and it worked.

There is no bubbling, melting, deformation or even softening of the foam.

For all of us foam using terrain-oholics out there we finally have a way to spray primer our terrain.

Edited by chaoshead
  • Like 13

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was finally able to find it at a small, old ACE Hardware store without a website, other than a phone number and address for directions to get there.

The other local ACE Hardware stores with the fancy websites that said they had it, not only didn't but never have.

None of the big box hardware or home improvement stores around me carried it either.

Good luck n your searches for it if you go looking.

• Like 1

Thanks! We have one of those little old ACE Hardwares in town.  I'll have to check it out if I can find time this week.

If they don't have it, ask them if they can order it.  I had to replace some Delta faucet cartridges and they didn't carry the parts in store but told me they could order it.

• Like 2

That's great!  Does that mean that the "hobby" has become so widespread that they had to make that product for us?  Seriously, who else has that niggling urge to spray paint foam besides terrain-builders?

Teachers for classroom signs and what not, Students for school projects, Marketing departments with mock ups, Engineering/Architect firms for scale models of projects...

• Like 2

That's great!  Does that mean that the "hobby" has become so widespread that they had to make that product for us?  Seriously, who else has that niggling urge to spray paint foam besides terrain-builders?

Teachers for classroom signs and what not, Students for school projects, Marketing departments with mock ups, Engineering/Architect firms for scale models of projects...

Flying airplane modelers, surfboard shapers, cosplayers…

• Like 2

What foam do you use to make your terrain?

I use building insulation foam for almost everything I build.

I believe that is extruded polystyrene???  I could be completely wrong about that.

This stuff says it's good for that as well as polyurethane foam, so maybe it is the that one.

What foam do you use to make your terrain?

I use building insulation foam for almost everything I build.

I believe that is extruded polystyrene???  I could be completely wrong about that.

This stuff says it's good for that as well as polyurethane foam, so maybe it is the that one.

Insulation sheathing board is usually extruded polystyrene foam, though some is expanded polystyrene bead foam board. Polyurethane foam is usually the gap-sealant that comes in spray cans or as a 2-part liquid mix, but there is also high-density urethane foam used in signage and product design. Probably too expensive for your hobby, but more durable if you need the strength. Most floral foam blocks are also one of these two types. Good to know this primer works on multiple materials.

• Like 1