Krylon Craft Foam Primer(update on page 2)

chaoshead

That's great!  Does that mean that the "hobby" has become so widespread that they had to make that product for us?  Seriously, who else has that niggling urge to spray paint foam besides terrain-builders?

Teachers for classroom signs and what not, Students for school projects, Marketing departments with mock ups, Engineering/Architect firms for scale models of projects...

Flying airplane modelers, surfboard shapers, cosplayers…

::cough:: Rhetorical question  ::cough::  Also 2/3 of those are "us." 

• Like 1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great!  Does that mean that the "hobby" has become so widespread that they had to make that product for us?  Seriously, who else has that niggling urge to spray paint foam besides terrain-builders?

Teachers for classroom signs and what not, Students for school projects, Marketing departments with mock ups, Engineering/Architect firms for scale models of projects...

Well, I asked a pedantic (rhetorical) question....  And though I'd lump architects with us (as literal "scale modelers.  "it's where I learned to make buildings, though I always used cardboard), I did neglect to remember stage props--we spray blueboard and the sprayed variety.

What's rhetorical mean? I always get that wrong...  ::D:  ::D:  ::P:

What's rhetorical mean? I always get that wrong...  ::D:  ::D:  ::P:

Rhetorical questions are questions asked without expecting an actual answer.  Like, "What's up?" or "Why does this always happen to me?"  Not sure if the word bears much relation to the philosophical concept of rhetoric though.  ;)

Okay, an update on this product.

We have now used 7 cans of this to prime our new terrain project and have found some interesting stuff.

First off, it really is safe to use on foam.  All of this is mostly foam and was all primed with this stuff.

20170130_164606_zpsppd08z7a.jpg

Secondly, when the can starts to get towards the bottom and you are having to shake it to get it to continue to spray, STOP!  

The last bits of paint are not worth getting whatever concentrated amounts of aerosol propellant on your foam because this is what happens.

20170130_164654_zpsamgke7tk.jpg

Now I really want to point out that that happened with me trying to get the very last little bit of paint out of the can and the spray was probably 80% propellant at that point.

Lastly, you really do need to use two coats of this if you plan on using another aerosol spray paint on the foam.  This product is a little too thin for a single coat to fully protect the foam from other aerosol with only one coat.  (I forgot to take pics or they didn't turn out or something but trust me, two coats.)

This stuff is still a good product and I will buy it again when the need arises but you may just have to leave the last little bit in the can.

Hope this helps someone.

• Like 9

RC modelers doesn't paint their foam planes. They cover them with tape.

Most paints just won't make a smooth enough surface on foam-like materials.

There's also the issue of fuel spillage on the motorized planes(I only have RC gliders)...