So I have Kahnjira and it's slowly coming together my big problem though is it just will not stand straight up on the base. Whenever I attach the model to the base it just tips over. I've tried boiling the base to make sure it was flat and as far as I can tell it is as flat as I can get it. So my question is, is there a way to use something to put up under on the inside of the base or something to mount the base to that will help? Any suggestions as to what I might use to do either of these is greatly appreciated as well.

• Like 1

Fill it with Bondo?  Wood putty?  My first thoughts are to get something like an air hardening clay to fill the spaces (I forget if the base is solid and don't feel like digging mine out right now). 

Another option would be to build the base out.  Use 1/4" or thinner material with some weight to it--plywood might work, mdf even--trace the base onto it, and cut it out larger.  Then build the base out to match.  The weight might not change much with this option, but a wider base couldn't hurt.

• Like 2

My first thought is to fill any empty spaces with something like shot or ball bearings and glue, then seal them in with a bit of putty and paint.

Edited by Dr_Automaton
  • Like 2

Well, you could go get a piece of wood cut to fit. That should be heavy enough to balance it.

• Like 2

Thanks all! I'll probably start with washers and if that doesn't work will move on to the clay idea since I have a ton in storage. I'm just hoping I can get something to work before the model is needed.

• Like 1

I use epoxy and BBs in the nose of tail heavy airplane models with tricycle landing gear to get them to sit properly, if they are not otherwise anchored to a decorative base.  The mix of the BBs and the epoxy will conform to most shapes.  I have not tried epoxy with Bones, but I imagine you could substitute super glue for the epoxy with no issues.

• Like 3

This is usually what I save all my flash and sprue bits for... Depending on just how much weight you need, where you need it, and how much space you have to achieve that weight with whatever you're filling it with, some combination of all of the above will probably be best.

For something like Khanjira, the cheapest solution would be to use any old metal figure bases you have, plus steel washers, with any empty space filled up with ball bearings/metal shavings and epoxy - metal shavings and epoxy make a great paste that can even be somewhat sculpted after a fashion.

The main thing you need to do is determine where in the base you need to add the weight, and if you need to stiffen the base any in order to keep it from bending and thus unbalancing the figure. Whichever way the figure tips over, add the weight to the opposite side. Adding the weight in the right place means not having to add quite as much and making the whole thing heavier than it needs to be.

From what I can see in the store picture, I imagine it's probably tipping forward and falling on its face? If so, place the weight along the back edge of the base and inside the stone wall.

If the base is solid, you can either dig out enough material from the bottom to add washers, lead chunks, etc., or you can drill holes horizontally through the sides of the base with a large drill bit and put nice big metal rods through it (which have the side effect of enhancing the structural integrity of the base) before covering the holes with greenstuff.

You could also drill up at an angle through his feet and into his lower legs to add rods/small ball bearings inside for a bit more weight. And if necessary also consider cutting a couple divots into the underside of his tail then drilling a hole inside the divot (angled so they follow the line of the tail), and then stuff some metal rods or weights into the holes to give the tail more weight. You can then replace the divots and won't have to do much repair work to cover up the lines where you cut them out.

You might also consider putting some stiff wire sticking out of the rear of the base to use as an armature and extend the back of the base with putty. You could build more weight into the extension of the base if you need it.

On a figure the size of Khanjira, you could probably add almost a pound of weight to the figure if you're clever about it.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

The main thing you need to do is determine where in the base you need to add the weight, and if you need to stiffen the base any in order to keep it from bending and thus unbalancing the figure. Whichever way the figure tips over, add the weight to the opposite side. Adding the weight in the right place means not having to add quite as much and making the whole thing heavier than it needs to be.

From what I can see in the store picture, I imagine it's probably tipping forward and falling on its face? If so, place the weight along the back edge of the base and inside the stone wall.

It's actually falling over backwards which is why I initially boiled it thinking the base was warped. I'll probably end up boiling it again just to make sure it's definitely flat before I add weights to it. 

Steel washers are probably the easiest to work with for this purpose. Mostly because they're already flat and come cut to size. You can get them at any hardware store.

This, this. ^ This...this...this.
  • Like 1

Khanjira is right on the threshold of tippy.  Mounting it to a base is a good solution, but if you don't want to do this there's a 2-part solution that should do what you need.

The first part is adding weight inside the base.  Lead fishing weights are good here so you don't have to use as many.  Install these as far forward as you can but avoid filling the whole crevice - you don't need the whole thing heavy, you just need to help redistribute the weight of his tail.

That solves the base, but the figure itself may still be vulnerable to sag from temperature fluctuation.  He's thick and pretty solid so this is not a major issue, just one you want to manage and control.  When you place Khanjira on your shelf you want to brace it in a balanced forward-lean (i.e. the correct position).  Books or whatever can work for this, you just want to prevent it from moving backwards by placing it against something (it won't take much, I braced mine with his hand against Kaladrax's wing).  Ideally you will want to use the bracing for a whole year so it goes through every temperature variation it is likely to encounter.  Each time it warms it softens and flexes a tiny bit, each time it cools down it hardens a tiny bit.  These fluctuations are very small but add up over time.  At the end of the year you can remove the bracing and it will be settled into its final form and should remain so indefinitely. 

• Like 4

The first part is adding weight inside the base.  Lead fishing weights are good here so you don't have to use as many.  Install these as far forward as you can but avoid filling the whole crevice - you don't need the whole thing heavy, you just need to help redistribute the weight of his tail.

Fishing weights have been my go-to for years as a scale modeler - they're cheap, have sufficient bulk, and can be shaped with a few whacks of a hammer to fit into pretty much any space.

The Egg

• Like 2

Love this topic, always good to find Ideas I haven't tired before as well! I'm about to get on one of the bigger bones dragons as well so I'll definitely put some of this into use

• Like 1