• Forum Mascot

I'm jealous as they were on my want list, but I totally missed them.  I'm looking forward to watching you paint yours!

Me, too.  I even knew I had to order brushes in December, but needed to buy presents for kids before I was sure I was clear.  Better to wait longer for brushes than be short on presents.  Got it all done Dec. 20, missed the whole promo.  My own fault for poor planning, these and the goblin carolers were nice sets. 

• Like 5

Lovely!

Thanks!

I'm jealous as they were on my want list, but I totally missed them.  I'm looking forward to watching you paint yours!

Yeah, I picked up a second set this year.  1st one is going to my sister for her boys.  Ultimately I'm thinking of making a Christmas diorama with these a Santa and the wrapping dragons.  

That's a really nice skin tone.

Thanks, Its just three colors:  Reaper Bones Cinnamon Red, Christmas Wreath Green, and Rosey Skin Highlight.  Simple.

Me, too.  I even knew I had to order brushes in December, but needed to buy presents for kids before I was sure I was clear.  Better to wait longer for brushes than be short on presents.  Got it all done Dec. 20, missed the whole promo.  My own fault for poor planning, these and the goblin carolers were nice sets. 

Yeah, That's the main reason I missed out on the carolers as well.

• Like 2

Thanks Jasper

More work.  More work done on painting the green clothing and hat.  Next update I think I'll add a sir forscale. (grumbles... I actually had one and could have painted him up for that competition last year)  Still trying to decide if I want to make the belt buckle and chest piece gold or silver.

post-12625-0-78545300-1486346956.jpg

post-12625-0-40780700-1486346957.jpg

• Like 13
  • 9 months later...

OK, while I wait for my Zcide Abom to be sealed, I thought what should I work on next...  Well, as you can see from this post where I made my decision.  I thought I needed to finish some projects I started before I start another new one.  Then an idea for a diaroma with these 2 ladies and sitting santa dwarf along with the villager mom and kids waiting in line to see santa.

Well here is where she stands at the moment.

Xmas_Naughty_05a.jpg.a6fa28d78d89bf4d03c759faea96a936.jpgXmas_Naughty_05b.jpg.f3711c67a9b6013819a9d9df656f4faf.jpg

I think the base fits with my idea for the diorama, so I plan to keep it.  Just not sure if I'm going pre-paint it.

• Like 13
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      I love me some weekend painting! 

Got another one from the 90's batch of Ral Partha's.  This one is a Drow Elf.  Was feeling like trying some of the darker skin tones after watching another RVE on it.  Feels pretty good!

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      * Skin combo: Black Brown, Black Red, Orange Red.  Used in conjunction with one another.  The highlights are still on the darker side, but you can still make out muscle and shape.  Win!
      *  Used copper/brown combo to bring this guy to life.  Feels very warm, but still needs some kind of "pop" color somewhere.  I tried to make that happen on the fletchings on the bolts, but feels like it needs more.
      *  Gradient work on the weapon.  I was trying to think of it radiating heat, since this is the underdark afterall.  I wasn't able to pull off a glowing effect or OSL, but it seems like it works.  
      *  The face - getting the mustache, side burns, and eyes to really pop was fun.  I feel VERY happy about the eyes.  

Misses:
      *  Not wild about the accessories colors.  
      *  Questioning the color chosen for the sword.
      *  Was messing around a few times on what parts were wood, metal, or otherwise on the crossbow.  Meh.
      *  Hair is still an area I struggle with.  I did 3 layers on this one.  Deep grey, light grey, white.  I feel it comes out strong, but not super good on showing definition or volume in the hair. 

Always open to any feedback anyone has.
      I'm also curious to think of what kind of base to put this guy on.  Any thoughts?

• By MoonglowMinis
      Better late than never.

Here's some fun Pumpkin Horrors I painted up for @Inarah for Secret Sophie this past December.  I was still riding on my Halloween spirit when Secret Sophie began, but wanted to do something that fit the winter theme.  Inspired by the snowman-like design of the Pumpkin horrors and my own past mistakes of leaving pumpkins outside to rot all winter, I decided to do a holiday mashup with these guys left out in the cold too long.

With some time having passed, I wish I would have made them look a bit rotten and frost-bitten, but I also like the more colorful result.

More Photos Below the Spoiler:

These were some fun minis and my first time working with metal.  I have now broken the seal and have started looking into other minis that I previously considered off-limits.  I also enjoyed participating in Secret Sophie and joining in to some of the forum shenanigans.  I highly recommend participating in these kinds of things for any who have been reticent.

What are some of your favorite holiday minis?
    • By Kangaroorex
      Well 2020 is over and even though the year wasn't so great I did get my dragon goal of 12 dragons completed (actually completed 15 !) So with the new year I'm looking to try it again.

The last year I did a bunch of dragons from all eras a d makes.  This year I think I will make the challenge a little more specific.  This year I'll try for 12 dragons from defunct companies: grenadier, Ral Partha, Thunderbolt Mountain, heritage, and others that are no longer producing today.  Whether i include minis from companies that died recently, im not sure (and I  know Ral Partha lives on as Iron Wind and Grenadier lives on as Merltion?  But I'm including them because its my challenge and the ones I have are the originals. 

That said the first piece I did was the Bridge of Sorrows.  It came out really well so I let my better half look through my old boxed sets and she chose the next one:  Clutch of Fear!

This is another mini that I have had sitting in its box waiting for decades to be completed and its time has come (besides if I really mess up they have started recasting the molds again so its not an utter disaster. Also, since i have this one in the original box, I thought i would do a WIP to show how it goes.

Here is what it look like when I opened the box...

All the parts are there, including the instructions (more on those in the future) and an "inspected by 3" as well as assembly instructions.

Hope you all enjoy the ride.  I'll try to be diligent with updates.
    • By ManvsMini
      So anyone who follows my planned goals for hobbying/painting in the Speed Painting subforum knows that I don't fair very well when it comes to monthly goals; I barely got one month's goal done last year. So this year I've decided to give myself a bit of leeway: an entire year to try to complete five hobby goals from 25 possibilities. The idea was inspired from Rob Hawkins' blog, that I've sporadically read for a few years.

I've tried to tailor my card to areas in which I typically struggle yet still retain some fun, as well as to make sure that no path to victory is entirely easy for me. Given that I finished no models last year, this should still prove quite a challenge for me.

A couple squares are time sensitive goals. To provide myself with a bit more incentive, I've decided to incorporate some health goals into the mix should I fail to achieve them. For example, if I'm attempting the assembly of 10 model in under a week, however many models I fall short by equals a number of physical exercises. I'm looking forward to it (both the exercise and getting through some of my stash).

I'll do my best to post here so you all can keep me honest. Don't be afraid to ask me about my progress!

-MvM
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)