Do I need to seal my Wargaming Minis?

Baldur8762

I dust all my finished miniatures with Testors Dullcoat.

This is something I thought of some time ago.

Pretty much only edges and raised surfaces need to be sealed. Deep crevices are unlikely to come in contact with any other surfaces, so aren't prone to rubbing off. So if some part of the mini was hard to reach while painting it, it's a safe bet that it won't require much sealant, if any.

Though YMMV depending on how you transport your minis. If they're all thrown in together, pointy bits like spears and swords can come in contact with deeper areas of other minis. But if everything is transported in its own compartment and only the Cheetos laced fingers of gamers, then only the raised surfaces are at risk.

But all in all, once you decide to go ahead and seal your minis, full coverage doesn't take very long.

• Like 1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One interesting note regarding varnish - I've noticed in Privateer Press' painting guides in their WarmaHordes books that they recommend sealing metallics before painting on the final highlights to allow the highlights to be as bright as possible.  Has anyone noticed a difference by doing it this way rather than just painting and highlighting first and sealing at the very end?

One interesting note regarding varnish - I've noticed in Privateer Press' painting guides in their WarmaHordes books that they recommend sealing metallics before painting on the final highlights to allow the highlights to be as bright as possible.  Has anyone noticed a difference by doing it this way rather than just painting and highlighting first and sealing at the very end?

I know that DullCote interacts with GW metallics, but I had always, after the first time anyways, taken that into account when using those paints....