I love it, I suck at OSL.

::D: THANKS! OSL.. I watched videos of people doing it then mimicked it. 

Any that you suggest?

• Like 1

I love it, I suck at OSL.

::D: THANKS! OSL.. I watched videos of people doing it then mimicked it. 

Any that you suggest?

For Core concepts I have the Jessica Rich DVD's. Her video on OSL is pretty decent. It doesn't really follow through with full execution - super brights or anything - but the core concept is there. But since her's is on a DVD I can't really find it on Youtube. But here is a link (below) for the same idea she presents from Jay Adan. Core concept is a big deal (at least in my head) of how to view the OSL. I use a super small LED light and place it almost on top of the location the light is coming from. Moving it back and forth to see where light and shadows form. On Frodulf here I literally paint blue in the spots the light touched... to a point. I made a cut off point. As you can see with the miniature the brightest point is from the center of the sword right onto his head. I first painted all the areas in the darkest blue I wanted to use that the light would hit then shaded up from there just like you do with most everything. I think of light as Omni-directional water. LOL. If I had want to make it look even bright I would just have to extend out the brightest-spot to more of his body. And in turn the lower shades would have to extend out. 

James Wappel's: This one is good once you watch a video on the core concepts. The reason I say that is this video feels like it starts in the middle of the process. Once you understand the stuff from the above, Mr. Wappel is doing makes more sense. At least in my head. His video is the last piece of the puzzle I needed to wrap my mind around it. 

From this point I then began looking at a lot Infinity miniatures and Sci-fi pieces as they tend to use OSL more often in regular everyday uses. Especially on bases.

Hope that helps. ::):

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 2