Sign in to follow this  
Dilvish the Deliverer

Stonehaven Elf Mage

Next up is one of the better figure that I have painted of late. I painted this figure up to represent a wizard for Frostgrave. As this particular figure has a Native American vibe to it, I went with buckskins fo the clothing. All buckskin was too bland for her male counterpart so I added the blue to her outfit to help break it up. I carried over the blue to her eyes, the crystal on the staff and the gem in her circlet. I like how the hair came out. I kept messing up her left eye and finally gave up when it didn't look too bad. (believe me it looked plenty worse before).

post-626-0-54595800-1485874224_thumb.jpgpost-626-0-80074600-1485874245_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Not sure why you find the eyes so hard considering how well you do on those itsy bitsy studded jewels!

I think that it's a difference in raised and recessed detail. With the studs I just side brush over the raised detail. Of I get some paint in the skirt it's easy to go back in. With eyes, the recess catches any excess and floods the socket. Then fixing it becomes a pain as the white doesn't like to cover the pupil.

At least that's how it goes for me.

Yeah, if my wife had a dollar for every time she heard me scream "I HATE EYES."

What stopped me was the color combinations. Those browns and icy blue go real nice together. You also did a really nice job on the crystal.  

If you can follow my directions you may have an easier time with the eyes. They won't be pro, but they will be nicer.

1) fill in the eye area with black.

2) fill in the black area with white, leaving a small, usually oval, ring of black. (so now you basically have egg eyes with black outlines)

3)  Put a black dot in the middle of the white (pupil). Make sure it touches the top and the bottom parts of the black ring and only leaves a very small amount of white on the left and right.

4) (this is the hardest part for me) place a tiny white dot in the upper area of the middle black dot.

post-11859-0-62894600-1486082998_thumb.jpg

Later you can use colors instead of the small white dot.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lidless Eye
      In my first set of finished miniatures in 2021, a selection of heroes from Stonehaven Adventurers 2020 Kickstarter.  They were primed at the end of 2020 after a end of year arrival, but painted over the last month or so.

The whole of my finished ones:

The Orcs:

My favorite of the set.  They showed her as concept art on Instagram about 3 projects ago, I'm glad to see her in physical form finally.

The Goblins:

I got a very Nott the Brave vibe from this one:

A Kobold with some fancy gear:

Some live some day in the way of the froggy guys:

Tieflings:

A Dragonborn Wizard:

Some live some die in the way of this Hobgoblin Guy...wait I used that one already?  Darn.

• By Inarah
      This was an experiment with color. I decided to give the Limited Palette challenge a try last night.  The challenge is 3 colors, plus black and white. Specifically, the three colors must be a blue, green, and pink.  I chose cyan blue, gnoll pelt, and cactus flower.  I'm quite happy with how she came out, for a figure I wasn't terribly interested in to begin with. 

Sorry, my camera could not handle a close-up of the face. 

For anyone wondering about the red hair, a strange thing happens when you mix cactus flower and gnoll pelt....

The base is from Secret Weapon. 

• By Werkrobotwerk
      I had started this meaning to use it for the reapercon quad color clash. But I took too long and then decided it need another 3 colors. So technically it's 7 color. Mint green vampire mist, dungeon grey, some old hd blue who's label fell off, carbon grey, shadowed stone, golden glow. 

• By Conan the Painter
      I already have the human blacksmith, but I wanted another blacksmith.  Unfortunately I applied the paint to thick at parts (which didn't really help the fact that her face was kinda just a tiny glob already) but Ive got a wet palette that Ill be trying to use next time.  I'm also absolutely awful at painting female faces, they always look ridiculous once I paint them haha.  Anyways, and criticisms and advice are always welcome

• By 72moonglum
      So some times you just done get things finished with the deadline you have imposed on yourself and this elf was one of those self-imposed deadlines. I wanted to have her done by Christmas, but just got too busy with other miniatures and other things.  I got this figure if I recall last Christmas when I won her with some others on a Reaper Christmas Giveaway on Twitch.  

Here she is:

Always thought she was a cute little figure.  The other ones I want but they haven't sold them for a few Christmasses now are the two elves, naughty and nice.  But one of these days I'm sure they will pop up again.

Anyhoos, enjoy, happy belated Christmas and New Year!

• Who's Online   27 Members, 1 Anonymous, 59 Guests (See full list)