Jump to content

Kheprera

[SPLIT] RC2017 Rides thread

Recommended Posts

We might have spare seats in whatever urban tank we end up with as a rental; iirc we're roomed at the HGI.

(I do /not/ understand the fascination with SUVs; we keep ending up with one when we do something like this. Mr. Thorne usually asks for something small!)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lazylich said:

It looks like the block hotels are a fair distance from the event venue itself. Are there any group transportation arrangements or is it every nerd for themselves (rental/rideshare/bus)? Is there anything going on in the "hotel" area that you want to be nearby for?

Last year, Reaper had hired a shuttle service from the hotels to the PEC (where the con is) that ran a few times in the morning and a few in the evening. I am not sure if that will be a thing again this year.

 

Like Haldir said, it generally wasn't too hard to bum a ride from a fellow con-goer, either. A 'please', 'thank you', and a couple smiles worked pretty well for me last year.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Last year, Reaper had hired a shuttle service from the hotels to the PEC (where the con is) that ran a few times in the morning and a few in the evening. I am not sure if that will be a thing again this year.

 

Like Haldir said, it generally wasn't too hard to bum a ride from a fellow con-goer, either. A 'please', 'thank you', and a couple smiles worked pretty well for me last year.

And if that didn't work, he snarled.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be available to provide rides for the duration of the con. And I will be taking Wednesday off. So rides from the airport are on the table.  Like last year, I will not be available the following Monday. My wife has given the green light on minivan useage as well. 

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As said, we may have spare seats in the rented Thorne-mobile, whatever that ends up being. I will laugh hysterically if we end up with a SMRTcar...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, knarthex said:

And if that didn't work, he snarled.....

 Snarled? Well that's a euphemism I hadn't heard before!! :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We may also have space in our rental. It is supposed to be a 2 or 4 door mid-size, Chevy Cruze or similar. Generally we end up with a "similar" of some completely random size. We land at Love Field (DAL) at 1:55 on Wed if anyone needs a ride from the airport. Sadly we have to leave this year on Sunday late afternoon/evening. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2017 at 10:58 PM, DixonGrfx said:

I will be available to provide rides for the duration of the con. And I will be taking Wednesday off. So rides from the airport are on the table.  Like last year, I will not be available the following Monday. My wife has given the green light on minivan useage as well. 

 

 

I may know some people interested...

:poke:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After Con ride:

 

So I'm doing things a bit different this year as my flight leaves DFW around 430 pm this year. Anyone leaving the HGI around 2 pm on Monday afternoon?

 

If not there is always Supershuttle. I've used them before & highly recommend them if needing a shuttle service.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, haldir said:

After Con ride:

 

So I'm doing things a bit different this year as my flight leaves DFW around 430 pm this year. Anyone leaving the HGI around 2 pm on Monday afternoon?

 

If not there is always Supershuttle. I've used them before & highly recommend them if needing a shuttle service.

 

 

My experience last year was that Uber and Lyft were more convenient and cheaper. Plus the drivers were nice folks to talk to on the way.

 

YMMV.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

My experience last year was that Uber and Lyft were more convenient and cheaper. Plus the drivers were nice folks to talk to on the way.

 

YMMV.

 

I've never used a ride service like Uber but I may during my stay over in Boise this year. I'm planning on going to the game store over there after checking in the hotel. Thou, I think at the LGS Tuesday nights are board game night so we shall see.

 

 Just did a estimate on Uber & the price is about the same as I paid last year for SS. (around 20).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, haldir said:

 

I've never used a ride service like Uber but I may during my stay over in Boise this year. I'm planning on going to the game store over there after checking in the hotel. Thou, I think at the LGS Tuesday nights are board game night so we shall see.

 

 Just did a estimate on Uber & the price is about the same as I paid last year for SS. (around 20).

 

Uber uses surge pricing, so their prices can go up and down quite a bit depending on demand while Super Shuttle has a flat rate. Could work out better either way.

 

But you don't have to schedule Uber in advance, IME. That said, really early or really late can be a bit tricky, since their drivers mostly work when they want. It took a while last year before I could get a ride from my Wednesday hotel to the HGI, since I was trying to get there before the first shuttle on Thursday and 0600 isn't a big time for drivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2017 at 8:11 AM, Chaoswolf said:

Last year, Reaper had hired a shuttle service from the hotels to the PEC (where the con is) that ran a few times in the morning and a few in the evening. I am not sure if that will be a thing again this year.

 

Like Haldir said, it generally wasn't too hard to bum a ride from a fellow con-goer, either. A 'please', 'thank you', and a couple smiles worked pretty well for me last year.

You just enjoyed laughing at me try to drive that crappy automatic... BTW. I am not getting a car this year, will be joining in on the shuttle and ride bumming.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dragoneye said:

You just enjoyed laughing at me try to drive that crappy automatic... BTW. I am not getting a car this year, will be joining in on the shuttle and ride bumming.

I'll be arriving at DFW on Wed at 11:30 am and my flight out is at 12:30 on Mon (so leave HGI around 10ish?) let me know if you have a free spot! I'm good to help cover expenses. I'll be going through the posts later (when I'm not supposed to be working... uh, yeah, back to work...)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Marineal
      This little guy is number 2 of 3 posts for now. 
      He was a lot of fun to paint up! His little spine-dies were fairly interesting to paint!

      C&C is always welcome!
       

    • By Marineal
      Number 3!
      Frumitty is supposed to resemble Mort from Madagascar. Also, check out his pockets, HE HAS STRAWBERRIES! How cute is that? I love that Jason Wiebe took the time to sculpt little strawberries. :D
       
      C&C is always welcome!

    • By Marineal
      I just love this little guy!! I've been on a 'woodland critter' kick for a bit, and I'm so glad to have finished this guy. I'm working on a diorama for Reapercon, so that's why he doesn't appear to be based. 
      Let me know what you think! C&C is always welcome and appreciated!


    • By HolkDiggity
      I sort of fell off the WIP thread because life made this take longer than I had originally intended. The minis are by Bombshell, and I have to say that they were a pleasure to paint. I will be picking up a few more at ReaperCon, for sure.
      The scenery is by Secret Weapon, Shadow's Edge, and Woodland Scenics. The base is from a cheap 3 pack from Michael's. All paint is from Reaper.
      I'll probably end up staining or painting the base, but I haven't yet decided which way to go with it.
      It feels really good to finish something for the MSPOpen. In hindsight, I probably should've started with something smaller, and worked my way up to this, but meh. I'm pretty proud of this.



    • By Ludo
      To help alleviate the last minute rush order or trying to have them shipped to the hotel, I'm reminding people that personalized badge ribbons are a thing.
       
      Because of forum rules we can't post a link to where to order them but if you post here, a certain @ub3r_n3rd fairy may PM you details.
       
      The standard size that Reaper makes their ribbons is: Personalized Badge Ribbon 1-5/8"H x 3-1/2"W
       
      FAQ
      What are the ribbons for?!
      Reaper gives out ribbons for various tasks like joining a faction, taking a class, spending a LOT of money in the Reaper Booth. Some are known, some are secret.
      Individuals also have their own ribbons made and have their own criteria for earning them. 
      In the past there has been a prize for longest chain (without duplicates) but this is subject to the whims of Reaper.
       
      Can I make my own ribbons?
      Absolutely. Anyone can have their own ribbon. Come up with fun (family appropriate) phrase and a task that you will have the receiver perform (again, family appropriate) then contact a ribbon company to have them printed.
       
      How many ribbons should I bring?
      If this is your first time giving out ribbons, 100 should be plenty. If you are teaching a class, running a game or a vendor, you probably want more as you will be interacting with more people.
       
      Is there a list of all the Ribbons and how to get them?
      Short answer, No.
      Part of the fun is talking to people to learn how they got a particular ribbon. When the con starts, I'll probably update this post with a list of known ribbons. like the ones Reaper gives out or ones individuals want to share. (Please don't share the how to unless you have the OK from the creator) 
       
      Not even one spoiler?
      Ok, if you want to get the "Ludo, Friend" ribbon, you have to bring Ludo a small rock. (Rocks from the hotel decor will not be accepted.) Bonus points will be awarded on how fancy the rock is. 
       
       
  • Who's Online   37 Members, 2 Anonymous, 97 Guests (See full list)

×