Kheprera

[SPLIT] RC2017 Rides thread

We might have spare seats in whatever urban tank we end up with as a rental; iirc we're roomed at the HGI.

(I do /not/ understand the fascination with SUVs; we keep ending up with one when we do something like this. Mr. Thorne usually asks for something small!)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, lazylich said:

It looks like the block hotels are a fair distance from the event venue itself. Are there any group transportation arrangements or is it every nerd for themselves (rental/rideshare/bus)? Is there anything going on in the "hotel" area that you want to be nearby for?

Last year, Reaper had hired a shuttle service from the hotels to the PEC (where the con is) that ran a few times in the morning and a few in the evening. I am not sure if that will be a thing again this year.

Like Haldir said, it generally wasn't too hard to bum a ride from a fellow con-goer, either. A 'please', 'thank you', and a couple smiles worked pretty well for me last year.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Last year, Reaper had hired a shuttle service from the hotels to the PEC (where the con is) that ran a few times in the morning and a few in the evening. I am not sure if that will be a thing again this year.

Like Haldir said, it generally wasn't too hard to bum a ride from a fellow con-goer, either. A 'please', 'thank you', and a couple smiles worked pretty well for me last year.

And if that didn't work, he snarled.....

• Like 2

I will be available to provide rides for the duration of the con. And I will be taking Wednesday off. So rides from the airport are on the table.  Like last year, I will not be available the following Monday. My wife has given the green light on minivan useage as well. 

• Like 8

As said, we may have spare seats in the rented Thorne-mobile, whatever that ends up being. I will laugh hysterically if we end up with a SMRTcar...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, knarthex said:

And if that didn't work, he snarled.....

Snarled? Well that's a euphemism I hadn't heard before!! :lol:

• Like 1

We may also have space in our rental. It is supposed to be a 2 or 4 door mid-size, Chevy Cruze or similar. Generally we end up with a "similar" of some completely random size. We land at Love Field (DAL) at 1:55 on Wed if anyone needs a ride from the airport. Sadly we have to leave this year on Sunday late afternoon/evening. 

• Like 2

On 7/2/2017 at 10:58 PM, DixonGrfx said:

I will be available to provide rides for the duration of the con. And I will be taking Wednesday off. So rides from the airport are on the table.  Like last year, I will not be available the following Monday. My wife has given the green light on minivan useage as well. 

I may know some people interested...

:poke:

• Like 3

After Con ride:

So I'm doing things a bit different this year as my flight leaves DFW around 430 pm this year. Anyone leaving the HGI around 2 pm on Monday afternoon?

If not there is always Supershuttle. I've used them before & highly recommend them if needing a shuttle service.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, haldir said:

After Con ride:

So I'm doing things a bit different this year as my flight leaves DFW around 430 pm this year. Anyone leaving the HGI around 2 pm on Monday afternoon?

If not there is always Supershuttle. I've used them before & highly recommend them if needing a shuttle service.

My experience last year was that Uber and Lyft were more convenient and cheaper. Plus the drivers were nice folks to talk to on the way.

YMMV.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

My experience last year was that Uber and Lyft were more convenient and cheaper. Plus the drivers were nice folks to talk to on the way.

YMMV.

I've never used a ride service like Uber but I may during my stay over in Boise this year. I'm planning on going to the game store over there after checking in the hotel. Thou, I think at the LGS Tuesday nights are board game night so we shall see.

Just did a estimate on Uber & the price is about the same as I paid last year for SS. (around 20).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, haldir said:

I've never used a ride service like Uber but I may during my stay over in Boise this year. I'm planning on going to the game store over there after checking in the hotel. Thou, I think at the LGS Tuesday nights are board game night so we shall see.

Just did a estimate on Uber & the price is about the same as I paid last year for SS. (around 20).

Uber uses surge pricing, so their prices can go up and down quite a bit depending on demand while Super Shuttle has a flat rate. Could work out better either way.

But you don't have to schedule Uber in advance, IME. That said, really early or really late can be a bit tricky, since their drivers mostly work when they want. It took a while last year before I could get a ride from my Wednesday hotel to the HGI, since I was trying to get there before the first shuttle on Thursday and 0600 isn't a big time for drivers.

On 7/2/2017 at 8:11 AM, Chaoswolf said:

You just enjoyed laughing at me try to drive that crappy automatic... BTW. I am not getting a car this year, will be joining in on the shuttle and ride bumming.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dragoneye said:

You just enjoyed laughing at me try to drive that crappy automatic... BTW. I am not getting a car this year, will be joining in on the shuttle and ride bumming.

I'll be arriving at DFW on Wed at 11:30 am and my flight out is at 12:30 on Mon (so leave HGI around 10ish?) let me know if you have a free spot! I'm good to help cover expenses. I'll be going through the posts later (when I'm not supposed to be working... uh, yeah, back to work...)