Jump to content

[SPLIT] RC2017 Rides thread


Kheprera
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Moderator
13 hours ago, lazylich said:

It looks like the block hotels are a fair distance from the event venue itself. Are there any group transportation arrangements or is it every nerd for themselves (rental/rideshare/bus)? Is there anything going on in the "hotel" area that you want to be nearby for?

Last year, Reaper had hired a shuttle service from the hotels to the PEC (where the con is) that ran a few times in the morning and a few in the evening. I am not sure if that will be a thing again this year.

 

Like Haldir said, it generally wasn't too hard to bum a ride from a fellow con-goer, either. A 'please', 'thank you', and a couple smiles worked pretty well for me last year.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Last year, Reaper had hired a shuttle service from the hotels to the PEC (where the con is) that ran a few times in the morning and a few in the evening. I am not sure if that will be a thing again this year.

 

Like Haldir said, it generally wasn't too hard to bum a ride from a fellow con-goer, either. A 'please', 'thank you', and a couple smiles worked pretty well for me last year.

And if that didn't work, he snarled.....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will be available to provide rides for the duration of the con. And I will be taking Wednesday off. So rides from the airport are on the table.  Like last year, I will not be available the following Monday. My wife has given the green light on minivan useage as well. 

 

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We may also have space in our rental. It is supposed to be a 2 or 4 door mid-size, Chevy Cruze or similar. Generally we end up with a "similar" of some completely random size. We land at Love Field (DAL) at 1:55 on Wed if anyone needs a ride from the airport. Sadly we have to leave this year on Sunday late afternoon/evening. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2017 at 10:58 PM, DixonGrfx said:

I will be available to provide rides for the duration of the con. And I will be taking Wednesday off. So rides from the airport are on the table.  Like last year, I will not be available the following Monday. My wife has given the green light on minivan useage as well. 

 

 

I may know some people interested...

:poke:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After Con ride:

 

So I'm doing things a bit different this year as my flight leaves DFW around 430 pm this year. Anyone leaving the HGI around 2 pm on Monday afternoon?

 

If not there is always Supershuttle. I've used them before & highly recommend them if needing a shuttle service.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, haldir said:

After Con ride:

 

So I'm doing things a bit different this year as my flight leaves DFW around 430 pm this year. Anyone leaving the HGI around 2 pm on Monday afternoon?

 

If not there is always Supershuttle. I've used them before & highly recommend them if needing a shuttle service.

 

 

My experience last year was that Uber and Lyft were more convenient and cheaper. Plus the drivers were nice folks to talk to on the way.

 

YMMV.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

My experience last year was that Uber and Lyft were more convenient and cheaper. Plus the drivers were nice folks to talk to on the way.

 

YMMV.

 

I've never used a ride service like Uber but I may during my stay over in Boise this year. I'm planning on going to the game store over there after checking in the hotel. Thou, I think at the LGS Tuesday nights are board game night so we shall see.

 

 Just did a estimate on Uber & the price is about the same as I paid last year for SS. (around 20).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, haldir said:

 

I've never used a ride service like Uber but I may during my stay over in Boise this year. I'm planning on going to the game store over there after checking in the hotel. Thou, I think at the LGS Tuesday nights are board game night so we shall see.

 

 Just did a estimate on Uber & the price is about the same as I paid last year for SS. (around 20).

 

Uber uses surge pricing, so their prices can go up and down quite a bit depending on demand while Super Shuttle has a flat rate. Could work out better either way.

 

But you don't have to schedule Uber in advance, IME. That said, really early or really late can be a bit tricky, since their drivers mostly work when they want. It took a while last year before I could get a ride from my Wednesday hotel to the HGI, since I was trying to get there before the first shuttle on Thursday and 0600 isn't a big time for drivers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2017 at 8:11 AM, Chaoswolf said:

Last year, Reaper had hired a shuttle service from the hotels to the PEC (where the con is) that ran a few times in the morning and a few in the evening. I am not sure if that will be a thing again this year.

 

Like Haldir said, it generally wasn't too hard to bum a ride from a fellow con-goer, either. A 'please', 'thank you', and a couple smiles worked pretty well for me last year.

You just enjoyed laughing at me try to drive that crappy automatic... BTW. I am not getting a car this year, will be joining in on the shuttle and ride bumming.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dragoneye said:

You just enjoyed laughing at me try to drive that crappy automatic... BTW. I am not getting a car this year, will be joining in on the shuttle and ride bumming.

I'll be arriving at DFW on Wed at 11:30 am and my flight out is at 12:30 on Mon (so leave HGI around 10ish?) let me know if you have a free spot! I'm good to help cover expenses. I'll be going through the posts later (when I'm not supposed to be working... uh, yeah, back to work...)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...