Sign in to follow this  
kerthnk

The Marsh Troll

So I haven't posted in quite a while, which I suppose no one noticed. Better to be humble about these things. I have been working on this marsh troll for a while but I am a little frustrated because he seems too green. I can't seem to get the colors right.

post-14194-0-48854100-1486103579_thumb.jpg

I am also working on the base, which will be, ....., A marsh. I am trying to get the feel of a swampy marsh, and have the troll in the water. Here is the base and the materials  I am using

post-14194-0-53943300-1486103578_thumb.jpg

and here is the layout I am thinking of

post-14194-0-62046100-1486103455_thumb.jpg

I think it looks too bright and cheerful right now. I was going to use the lichens to make roots at the edge of the water, and mix in some dead grass. I was going to make the water a murky greenish black. Any suggestions?

• Like 13

The base looks great! I like your troll but if you aren't happy with him, as stated above, you can give him a wash. You could also give him a light drybrush with a more olive toned green.

Whatever you choose, I would sample it on a small area first to make sure you like it before doing all of him. Great work so far!

Thanks for the reply's. I am trying some reddish purple glaze as suggested, and it does 

tone down the green a bit, I also put some red and pink around the edges of the eyes

to give a grittier look. I'll post some more pics this weekend. It's game night ::D:

• Like 4

So got some more work in today, managed to shirk cleaning the garage ::P:

First the base, I said I was going to add roots at the waters edge using some lichens I collected.

post-14194-0-51300500-1486259454_thumb.jpg

After putting some varnish on them to help preserve them I started on the other side, I also started adding the cat tails. Cat tails are made from paper, some green stuff and a pin, here is the tutorial I used, http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorials/tut_base_plants03.php

post-14194-0-30896300-1486259455_thumb.jpg

And lastly I painted them with some GW dryad brown.

post-14194-0-26437700-1486259456_thumb.jpg

So back to the troll. Taking peoples suggestions I added some reddish purple wash, and I added some pink and red around the eyes.

post-14194-0-80168300-1486259457_thumb.jpg

I still thought that wasn't enough color, so I lightly dry brushed some vallejo golden yellow mixed with Ivory

post-14194-0-98082100-1486259456_thumb.jpg

I am starting to like it a bit more. Still need to work on the details.

Thanks for watching. Feedback appreciated.

• Like 8

The purple wash along with the yellow and ivory were a big improvement. The slight addition of a flesh tone really helped this guy come alive. Very nicely done. Can't wait to see him on that base. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this