CMON Rising Sun

SamuraiJack

The expansion has some cool elements, but  is only interesting to me, if I decide that I really want to play the board game, which I might. Eric Lang has done some great work in the past.

Still time to think on it though.

• Like 1

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im in for now, not sure if I will stick through it though - really like the minis, not super into or wanting the board game. So wish they would offer a resin mini only option. The painted ones they show look very nice but I think it is a bit misleading in that those are resin and not the plastics we are seeing....

1 hour ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Those painted resin miniatures ... wow ...

I know that the plastics will not (and cannot) be that detailed and sharp, but Blood Rage plastics surpassed my expectations.

Do we know for certain that those are resin? I think one of the videos mentioned the people being production plastic while the monsters were still in resin after on of the people got dropped.

6 hours ago, aku-chan said:

I'm still undecided (it's probably going to be a no though, other things want my precious hobby monies).

I've noticed in a few other places, that there is now a thing about this game being horribly racist, what the heck happened?

Well, if it is on the interweb, it must be true!

Edited by Highlander

7 hours ago, aku-chan said:

I've noticed in a few other places, that there is now a thing about this game being horribly racist, what the heck happened?

I've seen comments about that comment BGG and Dakka. I think it's pretty much a given that someone, somewhere, will be upset at your choice of art or other aesthetics.

As for the miniatures, I've seen other Japanese historical and folklore miniatures (eg. Zenit games), so it's not hard to find metal and possibly resin on the market. Professional miniature paintjobs are always impressive, but these guys are only painting a handful of miniatures for $200+ apiece. If liked hybrid games or there were more miniatures, I'd pledge, but I'll save the $125 (including shipping) for Reaper and Dwarven Forge. Reaper's Eastern Legends really looked nifty and I hope we'll have more yokai and Japanese feudal miniatures in their next KS!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Arc 724 said:

It's unbelievable how far this has gone. I'm still baffled that for 100$ you get all those stretch goals free added to your order. That is a lot of stuff.

It makes more sense if you think in terms of cost, wholesale, and retail prices. To make it simpler we'll pretend CMON does their own distribution. The most generic pricing scheme is keystone, for a $100 retail item that would mean a $50 wholesale price and a $25 cost. So typically CMON would sell a game for $50 wholesale and get $25 from each game after cost. On the kickstarter though CMON is selling the game for $100 (msrp) instead of $50 (wholesale). That means if there were no stretch goals they'd be getting $75 for each game after cost, 3x more. What that means is they can spend up to $50 more at their cost to end up with the same amount of earnings per unit. Or to put it another way they can include up to $200 msrp worth of stretch goals while still earning the same amount per unit. Now that of course is very over simplified, but it does give the general idea.

A few things that should be there which I left out are distribution costs, paid add-on margins, and cannibalizing sales of non-exclusive "free" stretch goals (a huge reason why they have so many exclusives in the freebies).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ced1106 said:

I've seen comments about that comment BGG and Dakka. I think it's pretty much a given that someone, somewhere, will be upset at your choice of art or other aesthetics.

So it was just a lot of fuss over nothing?

That's oddly disappointing.