Jump to content

Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago


SamuraiJack
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/11/2018 at 6:34 PM, Crowley said:

So, pics of the snakemen plastics are starting to circulate..  and... I'm... not really impressed.

 

27750132_610649877817_480010179385498949

 

27657836_610649902767_389720403589648689

 

27858295_610649927717_847551353947756232

 

I kinda wish I liked them more, but... 

 

The proportions look wrong. The center body is too thick I think. Should be skinnier? And no tail? They're very forward/top heavy... It's too bad there isn't a legless bottom half option in the kit. 

 

I love Reptilians, but these don't do it for me.

 

I will stick to the Reaper Nagendra then.

Bones IV will have 6 more cheap beautiful Snakepeople..

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the Elephantman from the Bones 3 Kickstarter "Savage Avatars" set so I can order a couple to play the role of Erithereans from the Bestiary.  But that is a couple months away, and we've already started our campaign.

 

        I was just going to be content to wait, until a friend sent me a link to some photo of some fantasy figures a guy had made by chopping the heads off of dollar store animals, and gluing them to the bodies of 28mm plastic medieval figures.  The little lightbulb went on in my brain...I had just seen a small elephant figure in a box of junk, and I knew I had a spare Bones Bugbear laying around somewhere...

   I found the elephant and the Bugbear, but I had borrowed the Bugbear's weapon hand for an Orc a while back. So, a quick dig in the bits box, and I came up with what I believe is a GW Ogre weapon hand.

 

fullsizeoutput_2f0c.jpeg

 

A little bit of sawing, and I had this.  

fullsizeoutput_2f0e.jpeg

 

     It was just a matter of gluing it all together then.  

      I now need to greenstuff around the head to blend it to the body, and I think I will add some ears.  I'm not sure if I will leave him with Bugbear feet, or go to the trouble to sculpt them into something more elephant-like.  Generally, though, I'm very happy with the results!fullsizeoutput_2f0f.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks good!  He's got mismatched fingers, though.

I'd say if you just trim down the Bugbear toe talons to be a flat toenail instead, that would go a long way to the Elephant resemblance.

I was really happy to see the Erithereans in Ghost Archipelago.  I love elephants, and had just painted the Savage Avatars Zulu Elephant.  It gave me motivation to paint the other Reaper Elephant Man I had been sitting on for a decade:
 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the Elephantman from the Bones 3 Kickstarter "Savage Avatars" set so I can order a couple to play the role of Erithereans from the Bestiary.  But that is a couple months away, and we've already started our campaign.

 

        I was just going to be content to wait, until a friend sent me a link to some photo of some fantasy figures a guy had made by chopping the heads off of dollar store animals, and gluing them to the bodies of 28mm plastic medieval figures.  The little lightbulb went on in my brain...I had just seen a small elephant figure in a box of junk, and I knew I had a spare Bones Bugbear laying around somewhere...

   I found the elephant and the Bugbear, but I had borrowed the Bugbear's weapon hand for an Orc a while back. So, a quick dig in the bits box, and I came up with what I believe is a GW Ogre weapon hand.

<snip>

A little bit of sawing, and I had this.  

fullsizeoutput_2f0e.jpeg

 

     It was just a matter of gluing it all together then.  

<snip>

      I now need to greenstuff around the head to blend it to the body, and I think I will add some ears.  I'm not sure if I will leave him with Bugbear feet, or go to the trouble to sculpt them into something more elephant-like.  Generally, though, I'm very happy with the results!

 

That's excellent!! I agree, shave down the claws to a more blunt look for the feet. 

 

The real question, what are you going to do with a bugbear headed elephant??

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

Looks good!  He's got mismatched fingers, though.

I'd say if you just trim down the Bugbear toe talons to be a flat toenail instead, that would go a long way to the Elephant resemblance.

I was really happy to see the Erithereans in Ghost Archipelago.  I love elephants, and had just painted the Savage Avatars Zulu Elephant.  It gave me motivation to paint the other Reaper Elephant Man I had been sitting on for a decade:
 

 

 

Thanks! 

Yes, I know the hands are slightly different size, but I was hoping once they are painted the same color it might be less noticeable.  :ph34r:

That's a good idea about trimming the talons, I'll have to try it.  I also don't know if I should trim feet fur, or try to fill it in maybe?

I love your Harapan!  I don't think I had seen that figure before.

 

 

 

21 hours ago, Crowley said:

 

That's excellent!! I agree, shave down the claws to a more blunt look for the feet. 

 

The real question, what are you going to do with a bugbear headed elephant??

 

Thanks!  

Dang, I wish you hadn't put that idea in my head... now I'm going to have to make it happen! :lol:  It doesn't a matter what I will do with it, it has to be done now in the name of science! ::P:

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

 

Thanks! 

Yes, I know the hands are slightly different size, but I was hoping once they are painted the same color it might be less noticeable.  :ph34r:

That's a good idea about trimming the talons, I'll have to try it.  I also don't know if I should trim feet fur, or try to fill it in maybe?

I love your Harapan!  I don't think I had seen that figure before.

 

 

 

 

Thanks!  

Dang, I wish you hadn't put that idea in my head... now I'm going to have to make it happen! :lol:  It doesn't a matter what I will do with it, it has to be done now in the name of science! ::P:


I was actually referring to that Reaper Bugbears have 3 fingers and a thumb, Ogres/Ogors from Warhammer have 4 fingers and a thumb.

Harapan was a limited edition for Indian Tsunami relief.  Every Elephant, animal or animal-man, that Reaper has put out is currently out of print (as the Savage Avatars one is not yet released).  I'm still trying to track down the P-65 one.

Sadly, a Kickstarter I backed that had a faction of Elephantmen, "Parallax: Warband" is looking to be the only Kickstarter I backed that will never deliver.

Edited by Lidless Eye
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:


I was actually referring to that Reaper Bugbears have 3 fingers and a thumb, Ogres/Ogors from Warhammer have 4 fingers and a thumb.

Harapan was a limited edition for Indian Tsunami relief.  Every Elephant, animal or animal-man, that Reaper has put out is currently out of print (as the Savage Avatars one is not yet released).  I'm still trying to track down the P-65 one.

Sadly, a Kickstarter I backed that had a faction of Elephantmen, "Parallax: Warband" is looking to be the only Kickstarter I backed that will never deliver.

 

 

Doh! I can't believe I totally missed the mismatched finger count!   I just assumed...:blink:   I wonder how hard it would be to add a finger to that Bugbear hand, as I worry about cutting one off the sword hand without breaking it off the wrist. Hmmm...

 

Sorry to hear about your Kickstarter; so far I've been lucky.  I suspect Northstar will be coming out with some sort of Elephantman eventually too, since it is doing the official figures for the game.  How cool would a Ghost Archipelago plastic Elephantman set be, though that is unlikely I suspect.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

 

 

Doh! I can't believe I totally missed the mismatched finger count!   I just assumed...:blink:   I wonder how hard it would be to add a finger to that Bugbear hand, as I worry about cutting one off the sword hand without breaking it off the wrist. Hmmm...

 

Sorry to hear about your Kickstarter; so far I've been lucky.  I suspect Northstar will be coming out with some sort of Elephantman eventually too, since it is doing the official figures for the game.  How cool would a Ghost Archipelago plastic Elephantman set be, though that is unlikely I suspect.


It would be cool, but I doubt you'd be able to have Erithereans for count-as Humans like the other plastic warbands have been.  Their stats and size from the Bestiary have been a bit off for that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Eh, ignore the finger count! No one will notice it on the table. 

 

 

Normally I would agree with you and just let it be; but I have to get the greenstuff out anyway to blend the head and do the ears, so I might as well give him the finger :lol: anyway.  

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By planetmut
      I don't play Frostgrave — I'm not even sure what it's all about — but I thought these figures were cool.
       

    • By knarthex
      So I put them on their bases, added some Silflor tufts and Secret Weapon Crushed glass for the snow...
      Wip Here
       
      Thanks for looking! 
      The Drow









    • By knarthex
      So....
      Cinder didn't work out for my return to hobbying, so I decided to try something a bit less ambitious....
       
      Reading back through past projects, I saw one of the hangout minis of the month was Blacktounge, Gnoll Ranger from Reaper, and remembered that I had picked up this set at a paint day with the New England Miniatures folks at the Citadel games store....
       
      I figure if I can follow my old WIP, I won't be stressing to much, and I will have another figure to add to the Frostgrave warband that was started so long ago,,,,
       
      So the 2 got assembled and puttied, and now the never ending search for minor mold lines can begin when the putty is dry...
       
      thanks for taking a look!
      Wish me luck!!!!

    • By AussieAusborn
      Greetings y'all!
       
      I'm starting this thread to use as a painting blog, to help catalog my journey, and to use as a source of ongoing motivation. I have a LOT of stuff I've been putting off, that I want to get through for a homebrew campaign I'm working on, and some warbands for Frostgrave, as well. So, I'll take any extra motivation I can get Once I actually finish pieces, I'll make sure to post them in that part of the forum.
       
      To start things off, I have a dragon I've been working on for a couple of weeks, and just got to the point where it's "good enough for now," although definitely not finished. It's easily my favorite piece I've ever owned, so I put off doing any work on it until I was "good enough" to do the piece justice. That is, until I realized that would never happen , so I decided to:
       
      1) Do the darned thing
      2) Do some work on it every day
      3) Push myself outside my comfort zone to try new things
      4) Be patient and forgiving with myself
      5) To not freak out when I try something that I don't like, and just go ahead and fix it
       
      There's still a good amount to do to it (I have a list with 15 bullet points on it, and growing!), but I'm happy enough looking at it, and want to take a break to focus on some other pieces.
       
      I took some progress shots (though perhaps not as many as I'd have liked). So please, join me as we journey through my learning experience:
       

       
      I fully assembled the mini before putting down any paint. Here's where the mini was after a couple days work, about 4-5 hrs. I used an airbrush to give it a zenithal undercoat with black and white, and then to lay in the base coats of the red and blue. I then painted the underbelly and the wing-fingers with a brush.
       

       
      Here, I'm trying to show the work I've done (still fairly subtle, at this point) on building up the vibrancy/transitions on the red skin/scales. I was fairly happy at this point, as I could start to see that I might actually be able to paint this to the standard I want.
       

       
      The next day, I did some work on the face, horns, and blocked in the body spikes. I generally liked the mouth and tongue, but felt it was a bit vibrant. I thought the blue on the horns was alright, but also wasn't completely sold on it.
       

       
      Here's where it was after another `30min of work. Since I felt the tongue was too much, I did something about it! I did a very light glaze with a grey, just to knock down the saturation a bit. Looks better. I added some more blue to the horns, and still wasn't quite happy with it. Picked out the teeth, which is nice, easy bit of definition. And that eye!!! It looked much better than I expected, although that's the last time it would be that well defined...
       


       
      Here it is after another couple days of progress, building up that red (it takes soooooo long on something this big!!!!), as well as more work on the mouth/face. I'd accidentally painted over the eye (which becomes a recurring theme in this tale ), so I blocked in some color, just to separate it from the face. I added a glaze of 'RMP's fair skin' to the tongue, and now I'm lovin' it. Also added some fleshy-ness to the gums on the upper jaw (though it's a little hard to tell), and that was definitely another good decision.
       

       
      Here I continued to build up the red, progress is slow but steady. Not pictured (which is unfortunate, because it was a good learning experience) is my attempt to redo the horn entirely, to a scheme that was a transition of bone to brown to black at the tip...I was really unhappy with it. I had the bone starting around the eye ridges in at attempt to add more contrast and draw the viewer's eye towards the face, but it just looked awful. So I spent a good while redoing the horn and fixing the whole face. I'm glad I made that mistake, as I think the face looks much better than it did before I started on the horn. Part of that was adding in a new level of bright highlights.
       

       
      Here's the mini in some soft lighting, and although the picture is kinda blurry, it better shows the transitions throughout the red. I think this was also the point where I started working on shading the red, by applying a light blue-black glaze to the shaded areas, which really helped add some contrast to the piece.
       

       
      I had an accident that almost gave me a heart attack, where the figure seemingly jumped off the desk Luckily, I caught it before it hit the ground, and it sustained no major damage. It did separate where the dragon attaches on to the base, and although that was a little frustrating, it ended up being a happy little accident, as it made it MUCH MUCH easier to work on the base. I started by putting down some paints and pigments, until it was at a place I thought was ok. Also, the rock spire that it's curled around was originally about 6 inches taller, which I cut off to better see all of the dragon. So, I started work on sculpting a new top. I started by building up thin layers of cardboard with superglue, to level it off (it had quite a slant to it). Then I mixed up some greenstuff, and tried to match the overall flow and texture of of the rocks. Although not a perfect match, it's close enough to not be distracting. Mission accomplished!! The pillars were a part of the mini.
       

       
      And here's the beast in its current state. I painted the newly sculpted top to match what I'd already done, and left the pillars with a super quick drybrushing. I touched up the eye to look acceptable (it's on my 'to do' list), added some grass tufts to the base, and was happy to leave it be like this, for a time. The final pic is another attempt to 'more accurately'  show the value transitions with the red, though the colors seem a tad washed out.
       
      Thanks for taking a look at my work, and for reading my ramblings! C&C is welcome  As I said, I have a to do list for the dragon, but I'm not afraid to add more to it!!! I'll strive to make a post in here a few times a week, and eventually you'll get to see a completed dragon!
       
      EDIT: I forgot to mention that once the dragon broke away from the base (super cleanly, luckily), I took the opportunity to redo the underbelly on the whole model, darkening it up some. And along the neck, I experimented with wet blending for the first time! I've been apprehensive to try it before, but decided this was a good spot to experiment, as it's a large enough area, but felt less...consequential, I guess, if I messed it up. And I'm pretty pleased with the result!
       
      Next up: Frostgrave warbands for me and my brother!
    • By Lidless Eye
      Finished after a few delays from a project started in...December 2019, woops, are some more female residents of Frostgrave.  All are from the official range from North Star Miniatures, other than two metal minis they are all built from the Frostgrave Soldiers II and Frostgrave Wizards II boxed sets, though they may have a few accessories from elsewhere (and the Cultists from the Frostgrave Cultists kit.




      The two metals: a Barbarian Apothecary and Barbarian Apprentice.




      The Cultists:




      Just plain Thieves:



      Obviously Wizards:



      K'ren, Slayer of Managers:



      A hero type:




      Those who could pass as Townsfolk: a Mule/Porter, an Arcanist/Old Woman, Town Cryer, local guide, and Apothecary/Potion Vendor.


  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...