Sign in to follow this  
Joe the Revelator

A Prank Website Devoted to Horrible Flocking/Terrain

Hello terrain builders,

So a few years back I started cooking up an idea for a joke website where I pretend to be the worst scratch-builder/terrain-maker ever (not a big stretch for me) and brag about how amazing I am at it. I started collecting junk that I could give pithy names to, like a hand saw for Sawback Ridge, a broken hubcap for Battle of the Rim, whatever, and then make up terrible stories to accompany my ridiculous brags about how I "flocked" non-terrain items. Literally trash items with Zapp Brannigan levels of brag.

post-13411-0-88716500-1486375797.jpg

Did I mention that I've been running this site for two years now, slowly building followers and readership so I could pull this prank overnight? I re-tooled Statbonus.com for this

post-13411-0-46676100-1486376264_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I figured I'd invite my friends from Reaper to create their own joke submissions or write comments about the junk. The gag is that we praise the terrible stuff, and disrespect the actually good terrain that's been provided by Arbiter10. Don't worry about being cruel, he's in on the joke, and I've given him cred and links to his etsy from the "about" page-- which is the only serious section.

Got an old toaster or TV that would look good green? Ever wanted to flock garbage? Here's your excuse.

[email protected]

• Like 13

Something must be wrong with me. I think those actually look kind of sweet.

• Like 8

Nope nothing wrong with you. I was thinking the same thing... Maybe something wrong with me too. LOL ::P:

• Like 3

I approve of this in a totally non joke manner. I appreciate the humor, but seriously, these aren't bad ideas. 

• Like 4

Nope nothing wrong with you. I was thinking the same thing... Maybe something wrong with me too. LOL ::P:

I approve of this in a totally non joke manner. I appreciate the humor, but seriously, these aren't bad ideas. 

A little work and that hubcap could be an overgrown abandoned bunker...

Lol, I can see the bunker, now that you mention it. Maybe saw out the middle so a circular door can open up exposing the nosecone of a missile. It was a lot of fun to throw caution and care to the wind on these, but now I'm curious how some time and love could look on some bizarre objects. It would be freakishly strange if this prank turned into a serious pursuit...

• Like 4

This interests me, as I would totally use a flocked hubcap in just about any genre.

A little work and that hubcap could be an overgrown abandoned bunker...

This kind of thinking is what happens once someone has witnessed numerous Frogciddents.

And this is a good thing.

I am not as sure about the spoof webpage.

• Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DocPiske
      Looks interesting for the terrain, if not the miniatures. Two armies package includes two 20"x20" fortresses for less than $100.

There are a couple of things that give me pause, though. First time creator, and claims to be in Chicago but English is clearly not his first language. May not mean anything but makes me wonder.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crumb-group/eternal-eight

"After over three years in the making, we are proud to present you the Eternal Eight - a WORLD'S FIRST 3D mini war game with innovative real 3D RELIEF. 
      The goal of the game is to  capture the enemy’s King. The advantages of Eternal Eight are the 3D castles, fortresses and villages with a myriad of traps, labyrinths and  secret passages. All of the army bases (castles, villages, fortresses) are easy to assemble and move around.
      The game can be easily incorporated into your existing game table setup or provide a great addon to some of your existing mini war games."

• By Mckenna35
      Stumbled across this and thought it might be of interest to some folks here.  Be a different way of putting together woods and stuff for traditional wargaming.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/babbletree/terragon-terrain

Pretty much the entire 'leader' page is GIFs so I'm not going to try and copy it over to here.
    • By Rob Dean
      So, I invoke the 3 foot rule on these; one could go back and forth forever attempting to edge half-timbered buildings.

I have been idly working on new scenery since the pandemic, and finished two more buildings plus a well I bought a few months ago.  (That’s lightning speed compared to some projects.)  These are sold on Amazon by some outfit called Ender Toys.  I picked up a group of four, and a second group of two, some fences and the well.  

If these are an example of what I could get at home, I’m not rushing out to get a printer to wrestle with.  The filament lines are pretty distinct close up.

However, they are light and didn’t take all that long to paint, so I think they will be fine in a game.

I posted the earlier buildings plus some tree bases in this thread: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/92205-tree-group-bases/

The overall building collection now looks like this, including a Battle Masters tower:

My crystal ball says there is a skirmish game in my near future...
    • By Rat13
      As Halloween approaches the dollar stores are filling up with cheap decorations and spooky bricabrac. Amid all the potential projects a certain reflective skull caught my eye. Not knowing if it would take paint or not I decided to roll the dice on a few. I attached them to some bases, added a bit of sand, and the next day I took them out to prime. 

They ended up taking primer just fine, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised with the primer I use. Unfortunately I forgot to snap a picture of their grey primed goodness. 

Next up were the basecoats of the skull and "dirt".

I didn't get great or even smooth coverage on the skulls, but it was good enough as I was just going to add a heavy wash anyway.

The wash was a bit thicker than I wanted but again I figured it was passable and more than good enough to move onto a final drybrush.

Not too bad, but there is definitely room for improvement. I guess I'll just have to practice a bit more with my new drybrush. 

I finally took the leap and tried Uncle Atom's makeup dry brushing technique. Though this project probably qualifies as a failure, I do see the potential. Now all I need is more practice, it's not like I don't have a huge backlog of terrain just waiting to be painted.
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Not super sure where to post this but this made the most sense to me. I found some fantastic miniature pumpkins at my local Joann Fabrics.

Hopefully you can find them elsewhere if you don't have a Joann's.
      They come in $10 bags that are pretty big. I don't see myself ever needing to buy more. 

They say "fall drieds" which makes me think they're some kind of organic. But they have the consistency of some kind of acorn or pinecone. So pretty solid. I don't think they'd deteriorate but if you're worried I'm sure a sealant of some kind would do the trick. 

They come in a mix of sizes but they all look pretty good at 28mm scale. The cutting mat has half-inch squares.
      Most of the pumpkins are of the artistically exaggerated size compared to a mini, and the smaller ones tend to be darker and a bit more mishapen. The coloration in them is pretty decent. I think they could use a layer of highlights but if you're in a hurry or making a huge pumpkin patch, then they look just fine. 

Anyways, I hope this is useful for someone!
  • Who's Online   21 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)