Sign in to follow this  
Arc 724

Baba Yaga's Hut by Eastern Front Studios (Picture heavy)

UPDATE #2

3-Magnetic base: This was a trail but a fun one. You can see the magnets I used there on the left of the photo, (1.26 inchs) Got them from amazing. So for this guy I did the chicken legs first. Dremeled out the large hole then placed the magnet it unglued. Put the hut on top and flipped it over. Marked the location and then dremeled the hole. Finally mixing Greenstuff and covered over the holes. Those magnets have a 45 LBS hold so they work GREAT. All in all it turned out great! I do this kind of stuff on Battletech techs all the time but never anything this large. Well it translates over easily.

post-13341-0-88220400-1486480304_thumb.jpg

To preface the next two pictures. She is painted green so that when I go over it with a tans it has a different look. It's color theory thing I'm doing here. The client didn't want a green witch so I'm doing a multi-toned, elvish style skin... hopefully. LOL.

4-Next we have Baba Yaga Standing. I wanted to add some free hand to this gal and I think I came up with something good. Now I am going to muck up the whole outfit but here it is clean. 

post-13341-0-87107200-1486480305_thumb.jpg

5-Baba Yaga Action: I added the free hand to the bottom of her "dress" as well. Although her outfit is torn and wild. It even has patches on it. The mortar and pastel turned out well too. Although I am thinking of punching up the color on it. I will wait though. Going to do some OSL coming from the inside the pot.

post-13341-0-96295300-1486480306_thumb.jpg

Lastly, I want to do some free hand on her shirt but I can't seem to come up with anything I like. If y'all have any ideas please post a picture of it here. I'm kind of stuck right now.

• Like 18

UPDATE 3

I punched up the red on her bonnet a bit more. Still working on it.

I'm tackling the skin now. Trying out attempting to make it look discolored. I still need to do an off white (using Leather white) upper highlights. The discoloration is done with a Vallejo Heavy Red which is kind of a purple red. 

post-13341-0-05080100-1486740325_thumb.jpg

What do y'all think? Any suggestions? ::):

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 16

That is the weirdest looking mortar and pestle I've ever seen (to date), and yes, I own one. ^^;

Past that, I'm boggled, fascinated and looking forward to seeing what new wonder you're going to show off.

And.. dayum, but that standing version of Baba Yaga has some long arms.

• Like 1

That is the weirdest looking mortar and pestle I've ever seen (to date), and yes, I own one. ^^;

Past that, I'm boggled, fascinated and looking forward to seeing what new wonder you're going to show off.

And.. dayum, but that standing version of Baba Yaga has some long arms.

Thanks Sylverthorne,

Ya no joke. I was reading up on the lore of Baba Yaga and one description talks about her being able to reach every corner of her hut while standing over her area she is brewing a potion or whatever. It went on to say how her nose would hit the walls. It's a pretty interesting lore.

• Like 1

UPDATE 4

THE HUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I got around to putting base coats on the hut. Not finished with that process as I got enthralled with painting the onion. It turned out ok... I'm still not happy with it. I'm thinking of adding a bit more brown to the lower section. Going to sit on a day then re-approach it.

7- the onion is done with staggered shades of orange. Then some darker browns. The client wanted the little birds to be red but worn and faded. I painted them Big Top Red and then washed them with a Brown/red colored painted that I can't remember the name of right now. Later on I will use some Leather white and what not to make it look faded. Again, all of these are base coats so it's just stage one of the process. Except for the onion with I spend most of my time on last night.

post-13341-0-09255200-1486997362_thumb.jpg

8-You can't really see it in the photo but I used a bit of metallic medium and glazed the outside... then glazed over it with brown. It will probably not show up in the picture but it's there and looks a lot better than I had thought. Adds a little bit of whimsy to the piece. ::):

post-13341-0-81683300-1486997362.jpg

Suggestions are always welcome. Thanks!

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 19

My first thought was ... why did he put an onion on top of the hut? I did not realize at first that it was part of the mini. It looks very much like a real onion. The discolorations on Baba Yaga work really well too. Thanks for showing us how you do it!

• Like 4

UPDATE 5

Previous update for comparison:

post-13341-0-05080100-1486740325_thumb.j

9/10 - Basically I used Leather white on the upper highlights. After that I used a Reaper flesh wash focusing on pulling it toward to VLJ Heavy Red at the wrists. 

post-13341-0-54377500-1487169494.jpg post-13341-0-76561800-1487169495.jpg

11/12 - More free hand to match the standing Baba Yaga and the same skin and blending from the standing.

post-13341-0-03408700-1487169497.jpg post-13341-0-09617700-1487169498.jpg

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 13

Thanks everyone.

Whoa, I didn't realize this set had finally come out!  The mortar-riding version is right out of Ivan Bilibin's art.

Everything looks great so far!

- Ya I actually mentioned that to the client. I have those pictures saved for this project too.

• Like 2