Sign in to follow this  
John Fiala

John Paints Chibis

I think I've collected every tool I might need right now to paint miniatures. I've got brushes. I've got paint. I've got a wet palette. I've got paint. I've got superglue and a little drill and all sorts of medium. I've got more paint than I probably need. And I've got a nice place to hole up and paint.

But I haven't actually been painting. So, time for a goal!

Happily, I've got something to use as a goal - earlier in January I got a kickstarter copy of Masmorra, and this month I should be receiving the Kickstarter rewards for Arcadia Quest: Inferno. Lots of grey plastic to paint, and it's all Chibi - cartoonish. I'm thinking it'll be easy to paint, and more fun than just mussing over zombies. And the practice will get me ready to paint the various Reaper Bones figures littering my storage boxes.

To start with, I'm going to paint this merry band, the five characters from the Masmorra base set.
post-6286-0-63594200-1486441412_thumb.jpg

That's Valerie, Jay, Algus, Greybark and Mika, by the way.  Here's a shot of them from the kickstarter, in color:

0ebae5f4b088f196a91aac9dfba5df77_origina

Very energetic!

So, I decided to start with the wizard, Algus.  He's a pretty simple look, on the whole, and was pretty easy to paint.  I'm not entirely sure I've got the eyes right...

post-6286-0-98445600-1486442570_thumb.jpg post-6286-0-26228600-1486442588_thumb.jpg

Let's see if I remember this right...  For the dark purple I tried the Imperial Purple first (9023), but it was a smidge too dark.  So I tried two parts 9023 with Amethyst Purple (9024), which I liked better.  The light purple is Amethyst Purple.  The hair is Rainy Grey, and the brown is a Leather Brown.  The white spots are Linen white, and the yellow (applied without much skill) is Lemon Yellow.  I did the gem by using some silvery paint first, then some clear purple paint on top.

I'm pretty happy with him, so I'm trying out some Gloss Medium & Varnish by Liquitex on his back to see how it dries.  Back when I started getting into painting, the local fine art supply store was having a big sale for it's 125th anniversary, and so I got a bunch of Liquitex mediums and other supplies on sale.  Fun!

Next up, Valerie.

Edited by John Fiala
  • Like 12

Get a knife or other tool to remove flash and mould lines.

(The one between his thumb and index finger on his open hand is very visible)

A Donegan OptiVisor is a good investment, also...

And finally, there's no such thing as too much paint.

Your colour choices are good, and you have got a nice and even coat. The detail work cou!d be better, but that will come with time and experience.(choice of brush may also have an impact)

Which brushes did you use and which do you have?

(These days I mostly use a #2 filbert and a #0 series 33 from Rosemary & Co, and a small flat for drybrushing)

• Like 1

Which brushes did you use and which do you have?

(These days I mostly use a #2 filbert and a #0 series 33 from Rosemary & Co, and a small flat for drybrushing)

What's that line about not noticing mold lines until you're done?  (Although they're not very noticeable except when you're taking a photograph at 0 range with your cell phone.)

I'm not sure what I'm using.  I've got a pointy little brush that I got from, I think, a Army Painter set of some sort.  I'll have to take a look when I get home.  That's the main one I'm using, other than a janky craft brush that I'm using to mix paint, apply primer, and the like.

I've got some nicer brushes that I picked up during said big sale, but a) I'm not sure I'm up to trying them yet and b) I'm not sure where they are.  I originally set up my painting station downstairs, but it became necessary to move it upstairs, and in the move things got mislaid.

That's probably a AP 'Warpainter: Fine detail' brush?

(The Insane Detail is even smaller)

They're OK, but my experience is that they don't last very long.

(Min didn't... )

But the Fine Detail brush is really too small for most work, really.

My #0 is much bigger, but has a very fine tip. And since it holds more paint, you have less issues with the paint drying on the brush.

(This matters to me because I'm now at below 30% air humidity. )

Do you have a brush soap?

• Like 1

That's probably a AP 'Warpainter: Fine detail' brush?

(The Insane Detail is even smaller)

They're OK, but my experience is that they don't last very long.

(Min didn't... )

But the Fine Detail brush is really too small for most work, really.

My #0 is much bigger, but has a very fine tip. And since it holds more paint, you have less issues with the paint drying on the brush.

(This matters to me because I'm now at below 30% air humidity. )

Do you have a brush soap?

Yeah, I'll have to report on my brush when I get back to my workspace at home.  It's okay if they don't last very long, I've got a couple of them that I think I got in other paint sets.

I don't seem to have so much trouble with the paint drying on the brush - I live in Denver, where it is pretty arid.

I do have brush soap.  I use it occasionally.

So, I've actually already started on my second model, Valerie.  She's more difficult than the first in a couple ways - there's more color, and there's more depth - lots of bits sticking in front of other bits, preventing me from easily painting under or around them - which makes a narrow brush easier to work with, I think.

post-6286-0-40136300-1486521183_thumb.jpg post-6286-0-17731100-1486521200_thumb.jpg

This one let me play with metallics - her shoulders have silver and gold stripes, and I'm using a chainmail metallic for the legs and chest-piece.

I really liked the hair  - I started with an old bottle of Sandy Tan, and then added in a bunch of Pale Saffron, based on various comments online about using brown and yellow together.  It really worked well, I think.

The cover of the book and the handle of the hammer is using "Soiled Suit" from my Zombicide paint set, which was mostly just a 'dark brown I had on the table'.  Yay handy!

As you can see, I'm still struggling with the eyes.  Why aren't there more blind characters?
  • Like 9

I bought the same game, so I'll be keeping an eye on your progress.

You can mix a little gloss medium into your paint if you like (on the palette, not in the bottle). Too much will increase the transparency, but just enough will make the paint lay down smoother.

For eyes, I usually use Pearl White or possibly Bleached Linen, depending on which I find first...

Then I add the iris as a dot of whatever colour takes my fancy. Whether or not I add a smaller black dot for the pupil just depends on whether or not I feel brave enough, and don't mind repainting it...

Eyes are difficult!

Okay, last night I spent a little time fixing up the eyes on this gentleman.  Honestly, the mold line was invisible at normal size, but I got this great lamp with a magnifying glass that I used to try and scrape off (and repaint) the line, so let's see the wizard again.

post-6286-0-90843700-1486605930_thumb.jpg

I also attacked the cleric again with another layer of paint on her hair in the back, a bit of gold paint (that I'd missed) on her chest, and an attempt to fix the eyes a little:

post-6286-0-67595700-1486606003_thumb.jpg

Feeling really good about the wizard - I think I'll probably finish coating him soon.  Almost there with the cleric.

• Like 8

Okay, this is better.

I went over my cleric.  I did a second pass over the book and her hair, I carefully de-emphasized the eyes, and removed the pupil entirely.  She's looking a lot less crazed, and I like where she is.  I'm going to give her a little while longer and see if I want to try for the pupils again.

post-6286-0-42699900-1486701339_thumb.jpg

post-6286-0-32862700-1486701356_thumb.jpg

So, on to Greybark, the druid.  As you can see, he's already nicely primed - I use gesso - and I've taken a hint online and done the eyes first.  This means he looks like he's waiting for his chance to join Kiss right now, but let's be honest, who wouldn't want to join Kiss if they could?  Certainly not this druid!

After I took this shot I tried some cloudy grey for his hair... might be a tinge dark, but it's a good start for now.

post-6286-0-25988500-1486701458_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Okay, it's been a little time since I posted, but progress has been made!

For one, I'm just about done with Greybark. He's left Kiss and struck out on his own:

post-6286-0-16860500-1487382010_thumb.jpg

post-6286-0-43440100-1487382030_thumb.jpg

Although the art shows fairly pale skin, I went with Tanned skin for him, because he's a Druid, and out in the wild. The eyes are looking good, still.

I used a bit of strong wash from the Army Painter kit I got a while back and used it here and there, especially on his wrist-bands, which I imagine getting nice and dirty. I cheat with the gem - a layer of silver covered with a layer or two of green makes it shine nicely.

I had a lot of trouble with painting this - I kept trying to paint behind something I already painted - lesson learned! Paint the stuff behind first.

Next up is Jay:

post-6286-0-25611600-1487382277_thumb.jpg

post-6286-0-84144400-1487382288_thumb.jpg

There's going to be a lot of gunmetal blue on him.

• Like 7

Well, it's not a Chibi, but I just did some father's day painting on Samson from Zombicide: Black Plague.  I'm not done, but I'm happy with my progress so far.

BP_Samson_front.thumb.jpg.ae52fad52323b0253e51681a3379695c.jpgBP_Samson_back.thumb.jpg.3c380ebc43a53d08a9f3af614758d7ac.jpg

• Like 8