Oldhammer Goblin Miniatures with Earth dawn (last few hours)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said: I'm about to get another shipment from the Loud and Raging Kickstarter. If the quality is ok this time, I'll have no problems staying a backer and even going higher.

My only issue with that is I don't know when whatever you are about to receive was cast.   If it was pre-January ... it won't tell you anything to be very honest.

If you ask anyone about my company and if your money is the smallest bit at risk with me ... I am confident you'll get the same answer from anyone that has done business with me.    I cannot do more at this time than stand on the reputation I've built being in business for 11 years with the same standards of how to treat my customers during all that time.

Tom @ Impact!

Edited by impactminiatures
  • Like 6

I received the Impact Urban Heroes miniatures and had no problems with them.

If you're talking about Troll Forged, their Alien Assimilation Host KS is 4+ years late. After my KS with them (I received my stuff, since I only pledged for bases), I now look closer at any casting companies running their own KS, since the project I backed may / will be in conflict with projects from their other clients. However, the only such company that I know of, is Prodos / Archon, which I avoid for other reasons (see the Dakka "Misc SF Miniatures" forum). So... if you're unhappy with the caster for a reason, sure, I don't blame you for not wanting to indirectly give them business. 

I'm still waiting on IM for another KS to back.  :upside: I already have plenty of fantasy miniatures, but chibis and rollergirls are a little out of my range (for now).

• Like 1

I'm talking about Troll Forged and their work for the Raging Heroes Kickstarter - which resulted in a very bad, partially unpainted batch of first miniatures.

The miniatures I'm about to receive were allegedly already cast with the new formula (at least a number of them as Loud and Raging claim they delayed my shipment - which was due at the end of January - in order to add fresh/new miniatures that only arrived at the end of January) .

To be very, very clear: I have no beef with Impact. They appear to be a great company and I appreciate their assurances. But even if Impact say they will refund me (i.e. there is no risk), I still have to decide if I ever want to have something to do with Troll Forged again (especially as my money is not infinite and there are a number of interesting Kickstarters running).

Thank you ced1106 and Thes Hunter for the words of support.   Reaper is the only forum I feel like a punching bag when my projects get announced.   :;):

I'm talking about Troll Forged and their work for the Raging Heroes Kickstarter - which resulted in a very bad, partially unpainted batch of first miniatures.

L&R should have told everyone that the best way to paint those figures was with a wash with Dasty and then a spray prime with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer.   I've used that in house to paint hundreds of the old formula resin and mold release with zero issues.

However that is a pain to have such a specific method ... I do not argue.   I work very closely with Troll Forged to make sure I get everything as good as I can for my backers and customers.   Troll Forged wants folks to enjoy their products and Ed has worked every year to keep improving the process.   He is a small business just like mine and has had a ton of growing pains.  I'm Ed's oldest higher volume client.   I've worked with him to develop costs systems, get new equipment to offer more services and told him when he really needs to bite the bullet and just fire an employee who is not caring as much about the product produced as he does.  He was constantly trying to make the company better as often as he could.   I'm not defending how difficult it was to work with their older formulas ... trust me that even though we found a 100% method to paint them ... I was still really happy to hear the new formula improvements in January.

I get what you are saying but can I tell you the tales for you the sides of Troll Forged that you don't hear from the angry sides.   In the last 2 years, there have been 2 KickStarters that were failing and the only reason the backers received miniatures was because Troll Forged offered to work with them to use what resources those projects had left to get their miniatures made and for the backers to be able to get their miniatures.   There are other projects where there have been issues but Troll Forged choose not to present their side of the issues for those projects which I think did them no favors as I still see posters on forums hold anger for them on those projects which I don't think they would have if they knew everything.  And yes... I personally bug Troll Forged to get their own KS finally done and out the door and done as well ...  as I agree ... really really agree ... that it is beyond way behind and needs finished for the few backers still needing their kits (part of this issue is that Ed is a frecking perfectionist who wants to make the mini as good as he can before casting it when he really sometimes needed to be okay with not adding a few details and just get it in the mold press).

So I understand what you are saying KoDT/Weresheep but I also know this is not a company trying to produce products to make you unhappy.  They worked their asses off almost around the clock to revise all the molds to work with the new formulas to help L&R get the new minis as quickly as possible in January.  They don't deserve a medal for that ... absolutely not ... but its not the sign of a company who is trying to screw over gamers.

Edited by impactminiatures
  • Like 7

(BTW Tom, thank you for always supporting Speed Painting at Gen Con. It's how I learned about your product, and why I had a chance to meet you. :lol:)

Love supporting the Paint & Take and Speed Painting.   I like helping those events as I think they are an important part of Gen Con to expose people to fun of painting minis.   I've been a Bronze to Silver supporter of those events since 2008.   The Beer Garden Beauty is still one of my favorite figures this year is the 10 year anniversary of that sculpt which was the first one my company hired a sculptor outside of my friends to start sculpting new figures for the company.   Patrick Keith now of Bombshell Miniatures did a great job on her.

• Like 6

I want to reiterate I've heard nothing but good things about Tom and Impact, and Ed seems like a good guy. On the other hand, constant reformulation is a calling card of Trollforge. I've got TF stuff going back to Tre's first KS that ranges from decent to literal garbage. In my experience, TF is just too unreliable. I don't doubt for a second it's done with the best intentions, but reliability is as important as quality.

To be fair, too, I don't like that Raging Heroes decided speed trumps quality and pushed so hard to get things shipped quickly. Anyone willing to sacrifice quality for speed isn't someone I'll be doing business with again. You can ignore the complaints and end up like Adam Poots (years late but setting the quality bar) or you can try to kowtow to the complaints and sacrifice your reputation like RH did.

Probably obvious by now, the only thing I care about is quality.

• Like 1

I hear what you are saying - on the other hand, I did never say Troll Forged were out to scam people, only that I (and other people) got a bad product.

And that is the line for me: if the next batch of L&R minis is not good enough for the money I paid, I will not back anything that uses Troll Forged to cast miniatures, because I don't want to send them any more money (even through a "middle man" - yeah, I'm still quite angry - I have never been more disappointed with miniatures than with the Raging Heroes ones). The blame can also be laid at L&R's feet (and believe me, I do), but Troll Forged used that kind of resin, that kind of mold release and probably designed the molds with vents in places that made getting miniatures off the sprues almost impossible without breaking anything).

designed the molds with vents in places that made getting miniatures off the sprues almost impossible without breaking anything).

Ah some of that is what the company asking for the molding does to the process.   I work with TF to get the molds done to avoid these issues.   I'm not sure if RH does.   If they are like some companies that Ed has had to deal with ... they require X items to get into one mold and trying to get them all to fit can create some strange venting.

That is why I wanted to show what the figures looked like right off the sprues on the KickStarter with the images of all 3 items being funded as test casts from the molds so that it was clear what was being offered.

If you can KoDT ... can you send me a list of the items you already received that you were unhappy with.  It really does matter to me that people want to work with Impact! and that means people wanting to work with Ed.   So if you send me a list ... I'll see what I can do to ask about them.

• Like 7

Stretch Goal #10 unlocked! 18 more minis for Stretch Goal #11

We reached $5000 yesterday and unlocked Stretch Goal #10 which means that if you select a BIG set instead of a MEGA set if you pledged for a rewards where you get 2 more sets that you'll get $6 to use for anything you want (another set, a subset or unlocked Add-ons).   Thank you backers.

And to that note of being able to use extra monies for add-ons ... I have the first unlocked Add-on as well.   Based on backer request I have been able to research and add on the Tim Prow Minotaur w/Axe (Heartbreaker #3602) as a $3 add-on.  If you would like one you can increase your pledge by $3 and when the pledge manager comes out after the KickStarter is over you can select it as part of your reward.

660cd0ac836d3c4ad64e37905ce979ef_origina

And now Stretch Goal #11

So I was struggling for what I could do for good new stretch goals and then I remembered a box I had set aside temporarily as part of Chris Bledsoe's estate.  The box had 74 different masters from Heartbreaker's Earthdawn range that I've already negotiated agreement from FASA to bring back if I can.   So I definitely think we can get all 74 of those back into production as well over the next 2 weeks and it keeps with the original theme of the KickStarter to return the Heartbreaker masters to production.

Stretch Goal #11 will unlock at $5500 and will add a MEGA set of Earthdawn Orcs & Big Monsters to the KickStarter.

(18 minis MEGA pack for $35 / Big Monsters 6 minis SUBSET for $15 / Dwarf 12 minis SUBSET for $24 )

3415aa328b064ed29f9efedd717e78bc_origina

I will be working to have some type of stretch goal every $500 to $600 to make sure I can thank our backers for their help in bring this range back into full production.

Tom @ Impact!

• Like 4

I really want to back this project.  So, despite my reservations about the casting company I'm going to take a look tonight.  Won't be a huge investment, but for me it's more about the intent than the models themselves in this case.

@Impact - Tom, if you could find a way to get the molds for the old Ilyad Games stuff, I think you'd find a pretty substantial audience.  Besides, I just want A LOT of them, but am not willing to pay ebay prices for most.  :-)

• Like 1