Completely Frivolous Paint-Organization Question

So I'm cleaning up my painting area the other day, the better to slot some new paints into my racks.  And I wondered -- How do other people organize their paints?  Not storage, or racks.  I mean what order do you keep them in?  By hue? By warm/cold? By Reaper number?

I've experimented with a couple different "systems," but was curious to hear what other folks had come up with.

I'm about to re-sort my paints into a new rack, and was thinking of going topical first, with 3 rows for the skin triads(shade at the bottom, highlight at the top, and starting with the lightest skin colout to the lefy, and ending up with the darkest to the right), then another row for Bones, HD, Flesh Wash and other skin-related paints.

Hair, Skeletal, and ivory Triads get a similar treatment. And so on....

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Like 1

By Crayola order:  black, blue, green, yellow, orange, red, purple, brown, and interjecting grays, whites and metallics with black, flesh tones with brown.  Basically I can look and find the bluish bottles and then hone in quickly, with other shades for comparison, and find a single bottle without scrounging.

• Like 5

Scale 75 are kept in the 8 pack groups of the sets

Warcolours in the 5 pack sets of the layering colors, with the 'one coats' in a row beneath them

MSPs mainly by triad and color

Polly S, VMC, Tamiya & GW by color

Misc. glazes, mixes, blends and what have you near the parent colors....

• Like 1

I sort by color groups (all reds together, all blues, all metallics, etc.), then by shade/hue within those groups as best I can.

A picture will show it better:

T3Wtk4vl.jpg

This makes it very easy to find the color I'm looking for while painting (as long as I'm not looking for a particular one, like say Big Top Red, because then I usually have to pull half the category out to find it). So, let's say I'm using a medium blue that's kind of grayish, and I want a good highlight color for it. I can just hold up the bottle of what I'm painting and compare it to the rack, and find one that works well pretty fast.

It's not a perfect system, but it works for me. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 22

I have paints from every major range, and some from lesser ranges, so it makes the most sense for me to arrange by hue. However, I keep them in these plastic boxes (for portability), and they roll and shift in transit, so they generally do not stay in order (though the color groups remain segregated in their own boxes).

But that's okay. My brain keeps a solid catalogue of everything I have, so I pretty much know exactly what I'm looking for every time I reach for a pot. I pull from the box and arrange on the table while working on a particular project.

Alas, between needing to cart the paints around, and not having enough room for a truly dedicated painting corner, this just suits me best.

• Like 1

I organize mine similarly to OneBoot (with a bit of Buglips too, man that always happens haha), but my stand is only 5 deep.

So going left to right on stand 1 is "rainbow order." Working from back to forward is darkest to lightest.

So I have my shadows in all colors in the back row, all midtones in the middles, and highlights/pastels in my front row, all still in rainbow order.

My second stand is a mix. All my warm/cool/neutral grayscale, darkest again in the back, lightest in front. Then a strip of metallics, then earths, and then human skin tones. 

I originally did it by Reaper Triad, but once I got braver with colors, I was always looking for stuff! The triads are relatively close in my color order, of course, but it's not exact.

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 1

My rack is actually short shelves that fit two bottles deep, or three if they're staggered.  I arrange them by color, based on how many of each color I have so that they fit.  I don't arrange within a single color, though.  I have all of my greens together, but there is no organization within 'green', as I choose by eye anyway.

Whenever I get a bottle of paint, the first thing I do is shake it up and smear a drop of paint on the top of the lid.  I can see the color, and the dried paint gives a much better representation of what's in the bottle than looking through the semi-opaque plastic.  It also lets me set them upright and just look at the tips.

• Like 3

I slowly crowd them all around me until my working area shrinks to about 1 inch square, then sweep them into a box to begin the process anew.

This is similar to mine, except now that I've made my own racks the colors that get the most use end up in the tier closest to me.

• Like 2

By colour, then by # for the most part. Reds, Pinks, Oranges, Yellows, Greens, Turquoises, Blues, Purples, Skin Tones, Browns, Greys, Blacks and then Whites.

I have a pretty robust paint collection so I break things down even more than that:

Warcolours have their own rack and I put in the layering line by colour and then #, then the basecoat line by colour and then #.

Reaper, Scale75 and Vallejo dropper bottles are mixed on their racks, but go by colour first, then Reaper by #, then Scale75 by #, then Vallejo by #.

GW, P3 and Coat d'Arms paints share a rack that holds the paint pot bottles - I keep them by company, then by colour, then by #.

Then I have a rack that is just for "technical" paints, which are all different brands. I sort those by type first (Inks, Washes, Glazes, mediums, primers, etc.) then by colour. There are a couple of things that are separated out of order just to prevent myself from accidentally grabbing the wrong thing.

Lastly, I have a rack that holds most of my metallic paints.... most because currently all of my P3 metallics are with the other P3 paints because they fit. But I think the rest of them are sorted by company, then # or colour (I say or because Warcolours metallics are not numbered.)

Pics if you're interested:

post-13371-0-43984100-1486658796_thumb.jpg

The metallics are just at the very top left. Warcolours rack is the one on the very left, then the rest are Reaper, Scale75 & Vallejo.

post-13371-0-27287000-1486658797_thumb.jpg

Top rack is for technical paints and mediums and the bottom rack is for GW, Coat d'Arms and P3.

This makes it very easy to find the color I'm looking for while painting (as long as I'm not looking for a particular one, like say Big Top Red, because then I usually have to pull half the category out to find it).

For that very reason, I took a thin sharpie marker (and a few hours) and wrote the numbers on the bottoms of the bottles. That way if I'm looking for a specific paint, I can just plug it into Reaper's store to get the number, because I'll never memorize all of those numbers. It makes them easier to find and also easier to put back in order.

• Like 5