Sign in to follow this  
TheAuldGrump

Spelljammer/Starjammer - Background - Megans Allowed!

You will note no specifics, past 'someone'. I know someone /did/. I wasn't sure of specifics. ^^;

At the point where you can preserve foods via pickling or fermentation, though, you open the floodgates. A ship with a good cook probably has a happy, well-fed, healthy crew (and good morale).

The preservation and storage of noms for long voyages can be tricky. Pickling is one solution. Adding alcohol (can't remember when I realized what grog is..) to the water another.. or, you know, the other way, whichever... but the things that make food spoil and water go stale and nasty can't handle a certain amount of sugar/salt/alcohol/acid. So, pickled/salted foods keep for practically ever.

Also, for your entertainment, I offer up the notion of /pickled lemons/. Which, one of these days, I will have to actually try making; apparently this makes some glorious lemonade.

I suppose you could Portable Hole your food stuffs... depending on ruleset. Dimensional kitchen-space, on better-appointed ships?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I use pickle juice to put some zing into my chili, so I imagine that pickled lemon juice would be super zingy.

I... hadn't thought of doing that... I will next pot I make though!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

You will note no specifics, past 'someone'. I know someone /did/. I wasn't sure of specifics. ^^;

At the point where you can preserve foods via pickling or fermentation, though, you open the floodgates. A ship with a good cook probably has a happy, well-fed, healthy crew (and good morale).

The preservation and storage of noms for long voyages can be tricky. Pickling is one solution. Adding alcohol (can't remember when I realized what grog is..) to the water another.. or, you know, the other way, whichever... but the things that make food spoil and water go stale and nasty can't handle a certain amount of sugar/salt/alcohol/acid. So, pickled/salted foods keep for practically ever.

Also, for your entertainment, I offer up the notion of /pickled lemons/. Which, one of these days, I will have to actually try making; apparently this makes some glorious lemonade.

I suppose you could Portable Hole your food stuffs... depending on ruleset. Dimensional kitchen-space, on better-appointed ships?

In the 19th Century, preserving food by canning - with lead based solder on the cans - had tragic consequences for Franklin's expedition, when seeking the Northwest Passage.

Twice in two weeks I have had games change as a result of dreams - first the dragon in the kids game, which was a simple and fun change, now... this game... which is going to be a lot more involved.

The Regency just increased massively in size, gaining colonies, client states, and protectorates - all the trimmings of Empire.

Gods are, for the most part, limited to planets that have people that worship them - and the exceptions tend to have names like Umr at-Tawil or Nodens.... (Nodens is the patron god of spacefarers... while Umr at-Tawl is better known as Yog-Sothoth....)

Demons and devils Rakshasha and other outsiders are nowhere near as powerful, but can be summoned from any world, whether there are believers or not - and some become Native once summoned.

The dream had to do with running a game where the ship was visiting the in-game equivalent of The Jewel in the Crown of Empire - India.

Structure of the game is changing as well - borrowing from Bethesda computer games, and what I had already done for a Fallout game - an overarching plot or two for the campaign, and little plots at key locations - that have little if anything to do with the main plots.

So, when visiting Jewel to retrieve a portion of the star chart, the PCs may find that a village near the location desperately needs medicines from another world, which leads to finding that a cult is quietly reconsecrating the temple of an evil serpent god....

It also means that I can add a number of minor races to the game - in the dream it was Vishkanya.

And I can control when a race becomes available for PCs by tying it to some of those side quests - in the case of the Viskanya in my dream it was the PCs helping to reconsecrate a temple to an evil serpent god... that turns out not to be evil. Would you believe that the Regency would lie about such a thing? And tell the general populace a big ol' pile of lies to weaken the religion? :devil:

Typically the added races will be penalized a level at first, for rough balance, and a minimum level for when they can join the party. (So if the average party level is 8 then a PC Vishkanya would be level 7 - but would have the same potential level as already existing PCs, so can mostly catch up before the other PCs hit level 9 - they will be leveling slightly later, rather than a permanent penalty.)

The Auld Grump - I woke Megan when I sat bolt upright and cried 'I have to write this down!' - waking, just so I could make a record of it before I forgot.... I blame watching The Man Who Would Be King last night. ::):

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Surprisingly, the cure for scurvy was not discovered by a German.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Lind

Or even using sauerkraut as a cure.

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/04/magical-sour-cabbage-sauerkraut-helped-save-age-sail/

I knew about Lind, and I knew that sauerkraut made it a whole lot easier to avoid scurvy (and could be made on the ship, which made it much, much more convenient).

I did not know the role that Cook had played in proving that it worked - thanks! (Sorely tempted to go on a tangent about the medical community, the London cholera epidemic, Dr. John Snow, Rvd. Henry Whitehead, and The Pump Handle of Doom....)

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

Incidentally, the Vishkanya are the Visha Kanya of Indian and Hindu mythology - the poison maidens, supernatural assassins - and not always the bad guys in their stories.

Morally neutral... and very much amoral as opposed to immoral.

Uhm, there is even a soap opera about one....

The Auld Grump.

• Like 2

Reading Horror Adventures for Pathfinder, I am really tempted to split this into two campaigns - one spelljamming, the other horror.

Same setting, same timeline (so if the Horror Adventures players burn down Kindly's Kinder Garden then it will still be burned down when the Jammers make port).

Shared plotlines, and probably some shared players. And information shared between the two groups. The Jammers game will have elements of Horror (but not the mechanics) while the Horror Game would have elements of Jamming (but not the mechanics).

By this I mean that the Jammers won't be having their brains turn slowly into warm Jello, while the Horror players will be passengers on ships following standard routes, not Spacejammers themselves.

Also, I would be follow the same calendar, making up any discrepancies in downtime. (Them Tradewinds is unpredictable, they are... took the PCs a month to make a trip that normally takes three weeks.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Huh, Megan tells me that the game is sounding more like Planescape than Spelljammer....

Since I never played either, I am not at all sure what that even means.

The Auld Grump

22 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Huh, Megan tells me that the game is sounding more like Planescape than Spelljammer....

Since I never played either, I am not at all sure what that even means.

The Auld Grump

Planescape is about the destination, Spelljammer is about the journey. ^_^

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Planescape is about the destination, Spelljammer is about the journey. ^_^

Part of why I am thinking about splitting the game in two - so that time can be spent in the Capitol as well as in the journeys. (What are the odds of the ship being attacked by a Space Kraken?... :devil: )

The Auld Grump - or a space walrus! With... photon flippers or something....

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Part of why I am thinking about splitting the game in two - so that time can be spent in the Capitol as well as in the journeys. (What are the odds of the ship being attacked by a Space Kraken?... :devil: )

The Auld Grump - or a space walrus! With... photon flippers or something....

@Chaoswolf and @Dilvish the Deliverer! Release the Kraken!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

6 hours ago, David Brawley said:

@Chaoswolf and @Dilvish the Deliverer! Release the Kraken!

At work.  Kraken will be released upon return to home base!

I'm at home, but I need to go out shortly, so the Kraken stays leashed for now.