Secret Project One: Ral Partha 10-420 Clutch of Fear

buglips*the*goblin

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I *love* the green on her : :wub:: she looks great and I really do love the scene as a whole.  Whomever this is for (or whatever its for) they will love it!

Oh, they're all for me.  What makes them special is that I'm doing three significant and interesting old school projects back-to-back, each more awesome than the last.  This one is the least notable appetizer piece.  I expect number 2 might excite a bit more, and number 3 ought to be quite something. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 8

Always like this piece and the green looks great on it. However the variation in the browns you achieved are outstanding.

You mean on the wings and chest?  It's the same thing I did on Takhisis, which in that case didn't even hardly show in the photos.  I'll have to take new pics and update that show-off, because her wings turned out even nicer than these. 

Great job! The green is really nice.

Easy, too.  Yellow for highlighting green is an excellent trick, and nearly impossible to mess up.  If anyone is ever stuck on a dragon and don't know where to go or is to afraid to to mess up?  Green it up.  100% pure EZ-scales. 

• Like 6

It's absolutely beautiful, it looks great in green. I also like the way you painted the eggs. Congrats on achieving this one so fast.

The eggs were the hardest part outside of assembly and sheer weight.  Come to that, the eggs were the first "new" task on this whole piece.  That goes back to why it came out so quick - all of it I'd done before.  The green I figured out doing the Bones Flit dragon long ago, the wings/belly scales I finally figured out on Takhisis, the stone I figured out doing golems, the dude leathers I learned painting orcs.  But eggs?  Never painted eggs before.

For any new people reading, this is why you have to dive in and do it!  Paint, as much and as often as you can!  You will make mistakes, don't worry about it.  It pays out in the end, like it did here.  I made all my mistakes on other minis to figure things out, and once they clicked I knew how to do pretty much everything I wanted to do on this model.  It looks pretty good.  There's still a lot more for me to learn and do better, there always will be, but figuring out that stuff is why I'm painting so much now (I haven't had a break since early December).  My biggest errors were doing the greenstuffing, some of which is pretty horrible but hidden from view.  But it had to be done to get a dragon on the shelf, so I did it... even if poorly.  But some of it turned out half-decent and can barely be spotted.  Next time it will probably be better.  And again after that.  Eventually I will master my wily putty enemy.

Just do it!  Paint now!  Paint!  Forth, and fear no mold lines! 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 10