Secret Project One: Ral Partha 10-420 Clutch of Fear

buglips*the*goblin

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How tall is that thing?  It looks amazing!  I am just starting out and like you mentioned I am just starting with some basic guys and waiting on the ones that I really like until I build up my skills.  I hope I can get to your level one day!

Is the assembly tough? And what are the dimensions?

• Like 2

How tall is that thing?  It looks amazing!  I am just starting out and like you mentioned I am just starting with some basic guys and waiting on the ones that I really like until I build up my skills.  I hope I can get to your level one day!

Is the assembly tough? And what are the dimensions?

It's about 7 and 1/2 inches tall to the top of the wings.  Assembly isn't the worst I've seen, but it goes together in a weird way where you have to do several things that all fit together.  So each leg attaches to each part of the base, which is also separate and attaches together, and each leg attaches to the body.  So there's a lot going on at once that all has to work together.  That said, it may be a lot easier to manipulate if it's not the lead version.  There are three versions of it:  The really old lead one, which this example is; the plastic and ralidium version, which I recommend to avoid because the plastic is terrible resin; and the lead-free (ralidium) version.  Lead-free is the best choice, if a choice is to be had.  It's a heavy beastie!

If not for the complicated lower half, it would actually be a pretty good first metal dragon because the fit is overall forgiving. 

If your aim is to paint at my level, I guarantee you can do it fairly easily with some practice.  My work is okay, occassionally surprisingly nice, but overall I keep to pretty simple methods and don't go in for anything fancy.  Painting miniatures more or less breaks down into two broad categories:  the Game School and the Painting School.  I come out of the former from AD&D 2nd Edition days, so most of my style is pretty 90's.  There wasn't much in the way of instruction then, so I picked up a lot of bad habits! (to my own credit, I never once used shoe polish to paint a miniature) Guindyloo is out of the Painting School - she's never even played a miniatures game so for her it's just about the fun of painting.  It's not necessary to pick one or the other, and many people overlap between them, it more or less just informs your needs.  If you're painting for a game you'll probably need more output and will lean towards simpler but functional methods - this is why I'm generally simple but pretty quick.  But if you're painting for the sake of painting, you'll have more time to explore that side of the hobby and can go for some seriously amazing results.   

Overall, pretty much everything about miniature painting is pretty easy to learn given enough time and practice - especially with the wealth of resources these days.  I often say don't be afraid to make mistakes, and that's true, but I'd also give this advice:  go looking for trouble.  Every problem you run into gives you something to solve, and solving each problem adds experience.  That's how hard stuff becomes easy (or at least easier) stuff.  The first time you get something fiddly to turn out will seem a miracle, by the 50th time you do it it's mostly routine and you hardly even need to think about it.   

You can definitely paint as well as me.  If you really want to, I can even guarantee that you can do much better!  It's only a matter of how much you want to put into it... just be sure to keep it fun!

• Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.