Sign in to follow this  
Thrym

Side Project: Mountain Base w/ Marble Boulder

As I tend to do, I had a side basing project today for our Paint Day here in the Finger Lakes of New York.

So I present the ...

Mountain Base w/ Marble Boulder.

post-7739-0-25024900-1486873794.jpg

The pieces are obviously, Bark (from Home Depot Mosser Lee garden bag),
Marble stone (from Lowes, loose in the parking lot), Play Sand, and Super Glue.

All of that is mounted on a 3.75-inch Square Trivet from the dollar store.

The bark and sand has Reaper Brush-on Sealer on it to allow a good surface for painting.

post-7739-0-97255900-1486873794_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-67428900-1486873795_thumb.jpg

Once the sealer dry, I primed it with Reaper Grey Primer and then washed it with Reaper Coal Black.

post-7739-0-37943200-1486873796_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-11619900-1486873797_thumb.jpg

From there, I coated the sand that I could see with the Reaper Sparkling Snow.

post-7739-0-00692000-1486873798.jpg

Finally, I started working on my finished rock colors.

I went with Reaper Redstone Shadow, Reaper Turkey Brown, and Reaper Tanned Shadow as a highlight color.

Amusingly, this brought it back towards the original bark colors.

If you hadn't guessed it, I am leaving the marble piece alone for the moment.  I do expect to coat it with DullCote later which should dull the sheen making the boulder fit in with the scale a bit more.

Enjoy and Stay Tuned!

• Like 10

After looking thru my menagerie of mighty minions... I found this large gent who might do this base justice.

post-7739-0-90357300-1486886647_thumb.jpg

And naturally, Cinder might fit the base perfectly.

For now though, I will just stick to painting the base. 

• Like 3

Paint day came and went.  Didn't get a lot done on other projects.  Pretty quiet day.

So, just worked on my side project.

Four more rocks painted each a different trio of colors.

58c4dd34959d1_MountainBase-RocksPainted1.jpg.d07aee79443ab8b8adb76b4a49fa3d9a.jpg

58c4dd356caab_MountainBase-RocksPainted2.jpg.bdd9b78724bd94e1038ec33edc23c949.jpg

Next, clean up the bottom, finish the snow and clean up all around.

Enjoy.

• Like 7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Metalchaos
      Happy New Year's Eve everyone. To end the year with a little snow, I completed this base today. I had painted the Yeti two years ago, and he was only lacking a thematic basis. This is the Bones version of 77434, Yeti Chieftain sculpted by Jason Wiebe. The artificial snow is BF4103 from Army Painter Battlefields. The icicles were made with pieces of translucent plastic and gloss Mod Podge.

• By lazarp
      Here's Gregor Clegane and his bannerman!

(click on images for better quality)

• By [email protected]
      Started painting during the pandemic but was really intimidated by basing. Finally picked up some supplies and based my first couple models. Really improved the overall quality and aesthetic. 

• By Shadespyre
      Hello Reaper friends!  You might remember I did a whole tribe of Hill Giants on a display board, with hex bases?

This is my follow up to that, this time: Stone Giants.

Errrm, it all got a bit out of hand, and I'd LOVE some input from you all, please

This is where I'm at after a week and I'm a bit stuck tbh.

I think I need to decide more about what the "finish" will look like before I go a lot further. Once I cover that foam with more than paint it's going to be harder to make changes. I'm thinking of sort of "cladding" it in pieces of slate, with sculpted  bits / groundwork in the gaps?

I'd also love to hear suggestions for other miniatures and features to add to the scene to break up those big open rocky spaces. Current extra bits and bobs are just there for a sense of scale and how extra minis might "interrupt" or "enhance" the scene.

Some next steps though:
      - cork around the hexes on the platforms for the bases to fit into
      - some sort of "door frame"
      - "box in" the sides (which are cut out of a continuing mountainside, in my head at least)

Please, rain your ideas and encouragements upon me!

• By MoonglowMinis
      Not super sure where to post this but this made the most sense to me. I found some fantastic miniature pumpkins at my local Joann Fabrics.

Hopefully you can find them elsewhere if you don't have a Joann's.
      They come in $10 bags that are pretty big. I don't see myself ever needing to buy more. 

They say "fall drieds" which makes me think they're some kind of organic. But they have the consistency of some kind of acorn or pinecone. So pretty solid. I don't think they'd deteriorate but if you're worried I'm sure a sealant of some kind would do the trick. 

They come in a mix of sizes but they all look pretty good at 28mm scale. The cutting mat has half-inch squares.
      Most of the pumpkins are of the artistically exaggerated size compared to a mini, and the smaller ones tend to be darker and a bit more mishapen. The coloration in them is pretty decent. I think they could use a layer of highlights but if you're in a hurry or making a huge pumpkin patch, then they look just fine. 

Anyways, I hope this is useful for someone!
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)