My daughter is showing interest in sculpting.

does she take commissions?   ::):   She's doing great!!

When I was a little Erin I took all the ceramics classes my local art center offered.  That's always a great way to get experience with some of the tools and techniques at a larger scale.  It can be less intimidating to work with clay.  Sometimes they even offer parent/child classes depending on the place.  That might be a fun family experience!

• 1 month later...

I spent a couple hours sculpting with my kids today (ages 7, 9, and 11). They used some air dry clay from the dollar store, although they've used Sculpey before and liked that better. They're quite resistant to being shown how to do anything at the moment (they seem to have inherited stubbornness from someone), although perhaps if it came in the form of a YouTube video and not from Mom, they'd be more open to the idea, haha. 

So glad to come across this thread. Glad other people are sculpting with their kids, too. ::D:

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Živa said:

I spent a couple hours sculpting with my kids today (ages 7, 9, and 11). They used some air dry clay from the dollar store, although they've used Sculpey before and liked that better. They're quite resistant to being shown how to do anything at the moment (they seem to have inherited stubbornness from someone), although perhaps if it came in the form of a YouTube video and not from Mom, they'd be more open to the idea, haha. 

So glad to come across this thread. Glad other people are sculpting with their kids, too. ::D:

Typical kids. It's not you, most kids don't like things that are unfamiliar until they become familiar. My nieces like drawing with felt-tip pens and they like painting with paints, but they are quite indignant about the idea that felt-tip pens aren't very good for painting or that it helps to draw a picture with a pencil before you paint it. I think we've all seen kids doggedly try to color-in a whole sheet of paper with a felt-tip pen.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

She is great! If she switches over to polymer clay, feel free to message me! I've saved up a ton of notes from many, many websites that I could condense into little tips - being that young, I'm not sure how her attention span fares, even if it is something she's super into. :) 

(I hesitated to say it, but I've always been open so - I am just a little bit jealous that she's following art so early and with so much help, but my heart is just so happy to see a parent letting a kid wander and find what they enjoy!)

• Like 2