Sign in to follow this  
ub3r_n3rd

Female Snake/Sea Monster Conversion (NSFW) - an ub3r WIP

Dooooooood, good luck with the pour! I've been skiddish about water effects after last years issues! I'm excited to see the results here though! Good luck!

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, MissMelons said:

Dooooooood, good luck with the pour! I've been skiddish about water effects after last years issues! I'm excited to see the results here though! Good luck!

Thanks! I'm not scared, I'd be a bit upset if it didn't work, but I'm willing to take on all challenges and try many different things in this hobby. The large pour is one of the more difficult things to do right, so I need to get it down because I have other projects in mind that will be using larger pours of the stuff.

• Like 6

Watching this with great interest as I hope to one day have a certain kraken popping up from the depths...  Good luck with the second attempt!

• Like 5

Annnnd POURED!

Looking good, no leakage thus far... I probably went a bit overboard on making sure it wouldn't leak this time, but I think it paid off. The difficult part is still to come when I try to remove the mold from the plinth itself. I'll have to pry the wood off the plinth itself and I'm sure I'll have to do some sanding to get it back to square so I can glue some plasticard on it and paint the plasticard matte black, which means I'll make sure to wrap the resin in some painters tape as I do the work on the plinth. 

Anyhow, pics!

She looks like she's just enjoying a nice relaxing bath calling a sea-minion for a glass of seaweed wine! bwhahahah!

597933f771d60_MonsterBase25.thumb.jpg.e2e1dcfbc2dd0b49f70f4514e634af70.jpg597933f80315f_MonsterBase26.thumb.jpg.ddd0848fe8edbb7f5e93d718b15425e7.jpg597933f88d607_MonsterBase27.thumb.jpg.34adae989f44ba847a15b8c3c449190a.jpg

NSFW full frontal pic

• Like 10

Okay, spoke too soon, a very very tiny bit of leakage, but not enough to worry about as it's super slow and will stop when the resin starts to harden in a little bit here.

• Like 6

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, ub3r_n3rd said:

Thanks! I'm not scared, I'd be a bit upset if it didn't work, but I'm willing to take on all challenges and try many different things in this hobby. The large pour is one of the more difficult things to do right, so I need to get it down because I have other projects in mind that will be using larger pours of the stuff.

LARGER POURS?!?  <faints>

Probably if I was going to do a really large pour I would plan to do several layers.  The first layer tends to be where it leaks anyway.  There can also be issues with bubbles getting caught around your objects and that's less likely to happen with multiple pours.  There were some sea shells that I had to do in two steps, first put resin into the shell and let it cure, then put the shell into the form and pour resin around it.  I'm not sure if that would be relevant to your planned projects, but if you've got multiple projects planned you can use a little bit of leftover resin to prep other bits.  Or even bits that you might use some day.  

But congrats on getting a successful pour!  ::D:

• Like 4

This is very interesting and informative.. and inspiring! 

One Day I will find courage to try such a project.

• Like 5

Very cool!

I also would like to try one day.

Still afraid of ruining models.

How do you remove the sealing parts without damaging the resin?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

Very cool!

*** Watches Ub3r frantically looking through books and on his computer ***

*** Looks at Colorful Wolf and shrugs ***

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

Very cool!

In theory, because I put down some Vaseline on the interior of the mold it should peel off easily there. Then I'll have to pry the wood off the bottom portion where wood meets wood. I'm sure I'll have some pieces that stick and are left behind, but I'll scrape and sand those off while covering the clear resin I poured with painters tape to keep it from getting marked up. 

8 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

Haha!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

*** Kicks the Sabretooth into a pool of resin***

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

*** Kicks the Sabretooth into a pool of resin***