SparrowMarie

Video Editing Software

I'm looking for some decent cheap or free video editing software for Windows 10. Husband is working on a project for school about D&D but we need to do some video interviews and aren't really sure where to begin as far as editing goes. 

If you only need it temporarily, adobe premiere can be rented for a month for about $20, possibly less if you get it through the school. but it is software by subscription, so the cost can really pile up quickly on a longer project

• Like 1

Before January 10, 2017, I would have said Windows Movie Maker, but that has gone bye bye now (though you might can find it on TechRadar for a while... but long term it probably isn't the best solution).  I do most of my editing on a Mac, but we support students that used to use Movie Maker.  I'm leaning toward Shotcut (there is no "r") because it is free and cross-platform compatible.  You do have to use the tutorials to figure out how to do some things... heck, the FAQ has a lot of that stuff in it too...  but it is probably what we will put in the labs until it either fails miserably or something better shows up.

• Like 1

Oh... and if you are recording interviews, your most challenging aspect is going to be capturing audio.  That's a whole other story, but if you can get a good audio recorder you can get by without too much effort as long as you can eliminate most external noise (or if you don't care).  You generally don't want to use in-camera audio except as a reference point to link your audio from another source.  Some video cameras can do ok, but can be expensive for all of the options that will allow you to include this.  We have gotten to where we just use a DSLR for anything under 20 minutes (and most are), and pipe in sound with a wireless lapel mic.  Using an audio recorder at close range (but out of shot) will accomplish the same thing for much less money.  

Edited by Grayfax

If you only need it temporarily, adobe premiere can be rented for a month for about $20, possibly less if you get it through the school. but it is software by subscription, so the cost can really pile up quickly on a longer project

We briefly looked at premier and it's still an option on the table since we can use it for some photo stuff too, if I read the description right, like collages.

Before January 10, 2017, I would have said Windows Movie Maker, but that has gone bye bye now (though you might can find it on TechRadar for a while... but long term it probably isn't the best solution).  I do most of my editing on a Mac, but we support students that used to use Movie Maker.  I'm leaning toward Shotcut (there is no "r") because it is free and cross-platform compatible.  You do have to use the tutorials to figure out how to do some things... heck, the FAQ has a lot of that stuff in it too...  but it is probably what we will put in the labs until it either fails miserably or something better shows up.

I'll check that out, I don't mind a tutorial or two. It's been almost a decade since I've taken a video class so I am definitely not up on what's out there. Thanks.

I think Lightroom also has a free personal edition, but I'm not sure what all the restrictions are... and it is a STEEP learning curve as you are definitely stepping up into production software to use it.  

• Like 1

Wikipedia has a comparison list of these.

Over a decade ago, before video streaming was commonplace, I was a big fan of VirtualDub. I edited, converted and encoded hundreds of hours of video. It wasn't particularly user friendly, but it had lots of community base support. My need for it has come and pass, and it has been discontinued since those days (though support still exists).

• Like 1