Before January 10, 2017, I would have said Windows Movie Maker, but that has gone bye bye now (though you might can find it on TechRadar for a while... but long term it probably isn't the best solution).  I do most of my editing on a Mac, but we support students that used to use Movie Maker.  I'm leaning toward Shotcut (there is no "r") because it is free and cross-platform compatible.  You do have to use the tutorials to figure out how to do some things... heck, the FAQ has a lot of that stuff in it too...  but it is probably what we will put in the labs until it either fails miserably or something better shows up.

• Like 1

Oh... and if you are recording interviews, your most challenging aspect is going to be capturing audio.  That's a whole other story, but if you can get a good audio recorder you can get by without too much effort as long as you can eliminate most external noise (or if you don't care).  You generally don't want to use in-camera audio except as a reference point to link your audio from another source.  Some video cameras can do ok, but can be expensive for all of the options that will allow you to include this.  We have gotten to where we just use a DSLR for anything under 20 minutes (and most are), and pipe in sound with a wireless lapel mic.  Using an audio recorder at close range (but out of shot) will accomplish the same thing for much less money.  

Edited by Grayfax

If you only need it temporarily, adobe premiere can be rented for a month for about $20, possibly less if you get it through the school. but it is software by subscription, so the cost can really pile up quickly on a longer project

We briefly looked at premier and it's still an option on the table since we can use it for some photo stuff too, if I read the description right, like collages.

Before January 10, 2017, I would have said Windows Movie Maker, but that has gone bye bye now (though you might can find it on TechRadar for a while... but long term it probably isn't the best solution).  I do most of my editing on a Mac, but we support students that used to use Movie Maker.  I'm leaning toward Shotcut (there is no "r") because it is free and cross-platform compatible.  You do have to use the tutorials to figure out how to do some things... heck, the FAQ has a lot of that stuff in it too...  but it is probably what we will put in the labs until it either fails miserably or something better shows up.

I'll check that out, I don't mind a tutorial or two. It's been almost a decade since I've taken a video class so I am definitely not up on what's out there. Thanks.

Wikipedia has a comparison list of these.

Over a decade ago, before video streaming was commonplace, I was a big fan of VirtualDub. I edited, converted and encoded hundreds of hours of video. It wasn't particularly user friendly, but it had lots of community base support. My need for it has come and pass, and it has been discontinued since those days (though support still exists).

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ManvsMini
      Looks like the recorded classes from the RVE have started to be posted to Reaper Youtube channel for those who may have missed any of it. Looks like they are being posted alphabetically by title.

So they don't get buried on the channel as more videos get posted to their channel over time, or for anyone who visits the forums, I'm starting an index here and will update as I see more videos posted.

Painting-Based Classes
      A Beginner's Guide to Metallic Paints - Lauren "OneBoot" Cowles
      A Beginning Miniature Painter's Toolkit - Ron Vutpakdi
      Additives, Mediums, and Texture Pastes Oh My! - Rhonda "Wren" Bender
      Airbrush Care and Feeding - Dan Holmes
      Airbrush Usage 101 - Dan Holmes
      Beginner Blending - Brice Cocanour
      Buttery Blends - Blending through Layering and Feathering - Ian Markon
      Chromatic Shine - Exploring Colored Metallics - Lauren "OneBoot" Cowles
      Chibi Dynamics and Chibi Eyes - Captain MaDDlove
      Dirty and Distressed - Gregory Zuniga
      Everything I Wish I Knew When I Started Painting - Brice Cocanour
      Fun Faces - Ian Markon
      Fun and Easy Effects - Lyn Stahl
      Fun with Shiny Paint! - Lauren "OneBoot" Cowles
      Heavy Metal Bootcamp Introduction to Non-Metallic Metal - Ian Markon
      Hey There Shaky Shaky, Beginner Freehand - Brice Cocanour
      How to Paint Hair - Geoff Davis
      Off the Page and On the Table - Comic Style Painting - Mike Cousins
      Painting a Cloak with Effects/Freehand - David Gustaf-Janson
      Painting Eyes is Secretly Easy - Geoff Davis
      Painting Faces and Eyes for Miniatures and Models - Lyn Stahl
      Painting Scales - Rhonda "Wren" Bender
      Planning and Painting a Tartan - Geoff Davis
      Realistic Horror, All the Gory Details - David Cecil

Photography Classes
      Advanced Concepts in Miniature Photography - Joanie Bass

Panels/Discussion-style Classes
      Miniatures and Game Aids for TTRPGs - Joe and Paul Oakes

Miscellaneous Classes
      Casting with Dental Plaster - Dale Jardine
      Ground Effect Basing for Beginners pt 2 - Joe Oakes
      Paper Plants and Brass Etch Details - Greg Zuniga

• By Pingo
      Well, I've gone and done it. I got a YouTube channel and have started making a series of videos on matters of paint and painting.

Okay, I say "series of videos" all grandly, but at the moment it's one video and a planned syllabus. But I have more planned!

This is pretty much my first video ever. I was helped a great deal by my family members who have more experience in this.

The first video is a paint comparison, looking at one of the new Liquitex Acrylic Gouache paints (Quinacridone Magenta, PR122) and considering its suitability for miniatures painting.

Enjoy!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwonRqv0Xgk

• By Pingo
      This is the Reaper Bones 77371 Basilisk sculpted by Julie Guthrie. It's quite small - about the size of a large dog, with a wonderfully grouchy visage.

I painted it up fairly quickly to illustrate a video about how yellow and black can be mixed to make greens. This was an example of the less vivid greens (For a really vivid yellow-and-black green, see my She-Hulk Show-Off thread). All the colors on the critter were mixed just from yellow (mostly Yellow Ochre, but also a little Hansa Yellow), black, and white.

The video is here, if anyone cares to watch it.

• By Pingo
      This is Reaper's magnificent 50212 "Incredible Woman," sculpted by Bob Ridolfi.

She's a great figure that can be painted up like a lot of (tall - she's a big one) women superheroes. Wonder Woman is on my wish list, and maybe Captain Marvel one day.

This version is Marvel's She-Hulk from her classic days as one of the Fantastic Four, replacing Ben Grimm for a time.

As a materials and techniques note, I didn't use any green or blue pigments in her skin. It's all mixed from yellow and black. This was partly to prove a point and is kind of central in the art video I posted on YouTube last week: Yellow and Black Make Green.

Enjoy!

• By ub3r_n3rd
      I recently discovered that I really liked listening to D&D games being played while painting.  I watched/listened to a few videos with Matt Mercer DMing some really cool games. 

What podcasts/videos do you all like to watch/listen to?
  • Who's Online   28 Members, 2 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)