Sign in to follow this  
NecroMancer

Need some help

Hey guys I'm new to painting and was hoping you guys could help me out (again).  

Any ideas on what colors I could mix to get a good bone color and/or a good rust color?  The parts I am painting with these colors would be small (a skull headdress and some chain links and minor armor) so they don't have to be perfect.

Also know that I am using the Walmart brand acrylic paint so just a general ideas of what colors to use then I can play around with it till I get the colors that I like.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Is is paint that comes in premixed colors or paint that is single-pigment? The second is what I use.

A good bone color needs to be a very pale, dull yellow or brown.

So a good bit of Titanium White (which should be your basic, go-to white), plus, in my experience, a little Burnt Umber (a dark, very slightly violet brown) makes a good organic grey ("real" black + white grey tends to look too blue); yellow that up with a little Yellow Ochre (a sort of dull mustard yellow) and you should have a good bone color.

For ease of control and shading, I recommend mixing the brown and yellow first, then taking a bit of it separately and adding white until it looks good. That way if you add too much white you aren't stuck having to remix the original color.

This mix, by the way, makes a pretty good parchment color if less white is added.

You can just use darker and lighter variants of this for shading and highlighting, but I like to actually change the color, add more Burnt Umber for shadows and mix a pale banana yellow of a whole lot of Titanium White and a dab of Yellow Ochre for highlights.

A good rust color is Red Iron Oxide (also called Mars Red or Red Oxide or sometimes Red Ochre). Because it is rust.

Orange Iron Oxide is even better, but hard to find for some reason.

• Like 7

.....the Walmart brand acrylic paint....

Apple Barrel®?

(The Internet says they have several other brands as well.)

I don't know about your budget, Vallejo has a great Special Effect set with 7 paints and a Chipping Medium, for blood, rust and verdigris.

Reaper has a few nice Bone triads ( 3 paints basically shadow, midtone and highlight)

I have had great results priming white and then using a little thinned down brown wash for Bones.