Children of the Zodiac: Aquarius and Virgo (Lots of pics!)

Pochi

I painted up Aquarius and Virgo as statues for my Dragons Don't Share Ruins. My WIP is here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71651-dragons-dont-share-2/

I am still working on the overall but I was happy with how my "statues" turned out so wanted to share them in a Show Off!

I can't get over how cute these two little minis are. I had no idea they were so cute. I will be buying more to paint as "normal" but I think they make excellent statues as well!

post-14071-0-60028600-1487810834_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-60852400-1487810856_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-15334900-1487810873_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-08496900-1487810890_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-58967100-1487810907_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-48417600-1487810927_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-63856300-1487810951_thumb.jpg

Pictures of Virgo in first reply.

• Like 16

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pisces is also a really good one for a statue - or a fountain. So are Libra and Gemini.

If you're going to be using them in ruins, you might consider "aging" them a bit more with a couple thin dark washes applied unevenly.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

Pisces is also a really good one for a statue - or a fountain. So are Libra and Gemini.

If you're going to be using them in ruins, you might consider "aging" them a bit more with a couple thin dark washes applied unevenly.

Yes, there are several of the Zodiac series that would make excellent statues. These were originally supposed to go in the niches of the ruined tower but they were too tall so they got relocated to the arches.

Probably the only thing more I will be doing to them is adding some of the vines growing up them, or at least Aquarius as she has more of the plants near her. In the WIP, we kicked around the idea of "breaking" the statues as well but I decided to keep them whole since I didn't have the proper equipment.

• Like 4

Nice.

I'm slowly collecting the entire set, as fillers for when I'm aiming for free shipping, but hadn't thought of how to actually paint them up, yet.

(Also, how to add LEDs... I got to be me... )

This gives me ideas... lots of ideas...

Breaking statues.

Yeah, a lot of statues breaks over time, but getting the break to look right can't be easy.

How they break may even be different depending on climate and placement.

Libra, with her two bowls and blindfold isn't really suited for this diorama. She's not only 'too specialized'(I'd be expecting that one outside a courthouse), but also 'too breakable'.

Gemini is kind of large to fit most arches. And too 'dynamic' for most statues found in niches, really. That would be a centerpiece in a garden, really.

• Like 2

Nice.

I'm slowly collecting the entire set, as fillers for when I'm aiming for free shipping, but hadn't thought of how to actually paint them up, yet.

(Also, how to add LEDs... I got to be me... )

This gives me ideas... lots of ideas...

Breaking statues.

Yeah, a lot of statues breaks over time, but getting the break to look right can't be easy.

How they break may even be different depending on climate and placement.

Libra, with her two bowls and blindfold isn't really suited for this diorama. She's not only 'too specialized'(I'd be expecting that one outside a courthouse), but also 'too breakable'.

Gemini is kind of large to fit most arches. And too 'dynamic' for most statues found in niches, really. That would be a centerpiece in a garden, really.

Pisces would look so good as a fountain statue. I love Sagittarius too and think it would make a nice statue. Libra is nice but I agree, she belongs in front of a courthouse! I think Aries and Capricorn are cool too. I won't be adding anymore to this diorama but I may start using them as order fillers as well and do a little statue garden or something.

As for breaking statues, many statues were assembled in pieces so when they break, they often break at the joins. Arms were pinned on like we do with minis now which is why so many ancient statues are missing their arms. Any thin, weak spot is a potential breaking point - necks, wings, etc. I only have snippers at the moment so these little ladies got to stay in one piece!

Works like a charm!!!!

I will probably pick those up too!

Good job!

Aren't the figures gorgeous? I really love them!

• Like 2