Sign in to follow this  
NecroMancer

My WIP, please lend advise

Hey guys I am new and just finished my first mini which I posted here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/73347-my-first-attempt-painting/

Any who, Xherman suggested that I start a WIP and that it is a great way to get some helpful input that can help me improve...So that's what I am going to do!

And please be honest (just not mean), I don't feel I can get better without some constructive criticism.

Here are my next 3 projects primed and ready!  I have the Demon Boar, Ice Troll, and Mercenary Mage.  I will probably start with the Demon Boar as I want to hone my skills on the bigger guys at least a little before I tackle a true mini (they are so small!).  Also if anyone is wondering I cut the teeth out of the snake on the staff of the mage because I want to add an orb instead.

post-15489-0-79650900-1487862949_thumb.jpg

I will update periodically (not that I think you guys will be sitting on the edge of your seats waiting  :wacko: ) and just let me know what you think.

Thanks

• Like 18

Harsh critics doesn't really happen here. Trolling in this area is non-existent, and I should know as I'm a troll myself...

Eyes are generally the most difficult to get right, or at least OK... so it's common to tackle those as soon as you've basecoated the minis.

That way you won't lose too much work if you decide to give the mini a dip in Simple Green or Acetone-free nailpolish-remover to start over.

If you could tell us what plans you have, how you intend to try, and with what, we can point out tutorials and guides, or steer you the right way.

Remember, though, that there was an awesome FINGERPAINTED mini posted not long ago, and while Kaladrax wasn't dressed up in a tutu, he was painted in pink, and came out awesome.

In other words, the level of insanity here is kind of through the roof, while the meanness index was recycled for use as terrain...

• Like 4

Harsh critics doesn't really happen here. Trolling in this area is non-existent, and I should know as I'm a troll myself...

Eyes are generally the most difficult to get right, or at least OK... so it's common to tackle those as soon as you've basecoated the minis.

That way you won't lose too much work if you decide to give the mini a dip in Simple Green or Acetone-free nailpolish-remover to start over.

If you could tell us what plans you have, how you intend to try, and with what, we can point out tutorials and guides, or steer you the right way.

Remember, though, that there was an awesome FINGERPAINTED mini posted not long ago, and while Kaladrax wasn't dressed up in a tutu, he was painted in pink, and came out awesome.

In other words, the level of insanity here is kind of through the roof, while the meanness index was recycled for use as terrain...

With these I am really just trying to get better at layering, highlighting, and dry brushing.  Once I get a little more confidence I think I'll try to expand my "craziness".

Although people have been really kind about my first attempt (thanks for your comment on that post by the way) and its giving me confidence to keep going.  Also it's a really crappy day here in Colorado and I kind of just want to leave work and go home and paint.

• Like 2

Even tho I've only been once (and when it was in a completely different location), I'm going to plug the Colorado Miniature Painting A-something. That is, if you are close to the Denver metro. Although, you've missed this month's get together.

Look for the CMPA thread in the Randomness section, currently on the second page. Several painters here sit down and paint, so it might be really good to get feedback in person, and see some techniques others are using.

I really should go myself.

• Like 2

It looks like you primed Bones minis with grey spray primer.  Do you find that the primer dries tacky?   You really don't need to prime Bones before painting them.    Just a good soak and scrub in some liquid dish detergent and you can paint directly on the mini.  

I'm another painter who uses mostly craft paint, so if you get a moment, you may want to check out my "All Bones About It" blog (Linked in my signature below) for some examples of Bones painted with craft paint. 

• Like 2

This place isn't usually very rough, we like to see new faces.  And anyway, I never believed in roasting fresh painters because everyone starts somewhere.  More to the point, threads get more reads than posts - so when I post something to you it might also be read by a dozen or more other new people too shy to post.  If I were mean to you, it definitely wouldn't encourage them very much!

This brings me to my favourite illustration for new people:

This is Marike Reimer's site, which is chock full of wonderful and intimidating work:

http://www.destroyerminis.com/gallery/

And THIS is her very first miniature:

http://www.destroyerminis.com/portfolio/number-1/gallery/reaper-miniatures/

I'm so grateful she posted her first ever mini, because Marike Reimer is a genuine treasure.  It's nice to see that even she started out a bit rough before she became a master.

• Like 7

buglips' post reminded me of this thread right here on the Reaper forums where folks posted pictures of their first minis and their most recent.  Lots of inspiration as far as how much progress you can make with practice! :)

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/70130-hobby-report-first-and-best-so-far-groupopen/?hl=ub3r-n3rd

• Like 5

They are bit grey... HAHAH You should probably add a little more color to them. (Jokes, I's got them)

Anyway,

What helps with me is to visualize it... but more than that make it into something "moving" in your head and personalizes it. Example, you want to paint an assassin picture him preparing for the next job; putting knives in his belts, etc etc. Then stop the image and try and paint what you see. I like to stop the image and pick out the major colors ( the easy bits to figure out). It's a form of pre-planning and that really helps if you have some of the colors you want ready to go. 

Example with your Demon boar:

• Standing in the cold the the solider can hear a deep groan in the distance. The sound echoing off the ancient forest. Ice and snow flopping to the ground as the moans beat the trees. The solider begins to sweat... suddenly out of the haze of frost...thud thud thud... the ground shakes and rumbles as the Demon Boar barrels through the forest knocking down trees.

FREEZE, what do you see? Try to paint that. The more you practice painting what you see the better you get. To the point where you can paint the miniature in your head and just replicate that when you get home. ::):

That my two cents as far as the concept turning to action. 

Thoughts on actual colors:

Remember, no one color is actually one color. It's usually a minimum of three. Reaper Triad are a GREAT starting point for this concept. It's honestly how I got my paint collection up past the 120 mark is because of Triads. 

Washes & Inks: Both are very good for a quick shadow, blending help and other such transition.

Flow Improver: Does exactly what it sounds like. There are other post here on the forums that explain exactly what it does. In short, Thins down differently from water in that it breaks surface tension (Side note to the link for this sentence, Reaper brush on sealer is a semi gloss. Not a flat. Last I remember)

Dry Retarder: I use this for SUPER fine detail like dots and eyes. It makes it so the paint doesnt dry up on your brush so quickly. Use sparingly.

Tusks are never just Off-White, they usually a progress from a grey or brown... or both...

elephant-tusk.jpg

I dont normally ever paint anything with a Pure White. I use it only for upper highlights and mixing... usually.

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 2

I'm interested in how you tackle the ice troll When I did mine I like my 8 Yr old twins "paint" him with a purple wash.. I touched it up and I'll be darned if it didn't turn out OK.

Edited by amuller33
  • Like 2

buglips' post reminded me of this thread right here on the Reaper forums where folks posted pictures of their first minis and their most recent.  Lots of inspiration as far as how much progress you can make with practice! :)

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/70130-hobby-report-first-and-best-so-far-groupopen/?hl=ub3r-n3rd

I suggested on his other post painting the same mini every couple of months to see progression.. I do a lizardman taht way

• Like 3

Army Painter as a Quickshade Ink set (eye droppers) and you can wash a figure after priming (washes won't work directly on bones plastic). For the boar, try the brown Strong Tone ink. For the ice troll, try the blue ink. For the wizard, black ink. You can also zenithal prime with the Army Painter color primers. Brown for the boar, and pale blue for the ice demon. I typically zenithal prime by completely spraying black, an overhead spray with a color primer (or grey then white, or just white), then ink all over the figure. 

Blue ink wash over zenithal priming of black, grey, then white:

pic2420062_md.jpg

• Like 2

You are already getting some good advice so I'll take a different tack,

One thing to decide is why you are painting minis.  Is it to get them looking decent for a game of D&D? is to have armies of minis for a tabletop game? Do you eventually want to be entering your minis in contests?  Each of those might take a different approach.  

No matter what, painting minis you don't like or in a style you don't enjoy isn't any kind of hobby and I don't recommend it.

• Like 3

You are already getting some good advice so I'll take a different tack,

One thing to decide is why you are painting minis.  Is it to get them looking decent for a game of D&D? is to have armies of minis for a tabletop game? Do you eventually want to be entering your minis in contests?  Each of those might take a different approach.  

No matter what, painting minis you don't like or in a style you don't enjoy isn't any kind of hobby and I don't recommend it.

I am just painting them to paint.  I also really like the fantasy subject matter so that draws me interests me as well.  

• Like 2