Sign in to follow this  
NecroMancer

My WIP, please lend advise

I'm interested in how you tackle the ice boar When I did mine I like my 8 Yr old twins "paint" him with a purple wash.. I touched it up and I'll be darned if it didn't turn out OK.

That's funny I was thinking about painting him purple.  I don't know why, just when I look at him I see purple.

• Like 1

Alright last night I got some painting done and I really tried to focus on thinning my paint and layering to add some depth.

I did several layers and I think I was fairly successful.  Although some of the highlights didn't come out as well as I hoped but I feel I have already improved a lot since my last mini.

Let me know what you guys think.

post-15489-0-17189200-1487948909_thumb.jpgpost-15489-0-58549900-1487948910_thumb.jpgpost-15489-0-96453200-1487948911_thumb.jpgpost-15489-0-55731000-1487948913_thumb.jpgpost-15489-0-22876700-1487948915_thumb.jpgpost-15489-0-62841800-1487948916_thumb.jpgpost-15489-0-04667000-1487948918_thumb.jpgpost-15489-0-72320300-1487948919_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

That's not bad and is on the right track.  Looks to me like you learn pretty quick. 

You may reach a point where the craft paint limits will show, but where that limit is can be hard to guess because the quality can vary quite a lot!  You'll probably know it when you reach it, but since you came quickly to the right idea with the method I thought it worth mentioning.  Some of what turns out "not right" may be a material limitation as you push its capabilities.

Edit to add:  Material limitations come down to a question of consistency and control.  As you improve you'll want greater control over what the paint does and how much you can count on it to behave itself each time. All paint has quirks!  When (or if) the craft paint hits this wall you'll probably want to introduce more purpose-made miniature paint so you can control this variable.  You want more Good Quirks than bad quirks. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 4

That's not bad and is on the right track.  Looks to me like you learn pretty quick. 

You may reach a point where the craft paint limits will show, but where that limit is can be hard to guess because the quality can vary quite a lot!  You'll probably know it when you reach it, but since you came quickly to the right idea with the method I thought it worth mentioning.  Some of what turns out "not right" may be a material limitation as you push its capabilities.

Yeah I was think the same thing.  I think I am going to slowly start getting the better miniature paints, and just slowly build up my collection of those.

Any suggestions on which is the "best"?  Someone suggested a good way to build up is to buy the MSP triads.

Good progress!!!

I would invest in some nice paints from Reaper / Vallejo or Scale 75 and some quality brushes at some point.

Anyway, that Boar Demon starts to look pretty good.

I find it helpful to have pics around or on my screen, of painted examples or real animals and such.

• Like 2

Also, for ideas on paint colors, I often find it helpful to google search the name of the mini, and then look at how others have painted it...

you can also look in the Inspiration Gallery here on the Reaper site. Just type in the name or sku number into the search engine on the right hand side of the page...

This can also be helpful for those WTF is that doo dad on his neck / belt etc....

• Like 4

Good progress!!!

I would invest in some nice paints from Reaper / Vallejo or Scale 75 and some quality brushes at some point.

Anyway, that Boar Demon starts to look pretty good.

I find it helpful to have pics around or on my screen, of painted examples or real animals and such.

This!

Rosemary & Co makes wonderful series 33 Kolinsky Sable brushes for very reasonable prices as well. Last order I placed with them I got a #2, 2x #1, 2x 0, a 00, and a 000, all for $45 US, including shipping....

Not sure where you are located, but there is also the Warcolours line of paints that I have been enjoying using, as well as the others Fuzzy mentioned.... (These come from Cyprus)

There are also P3 and Games Workshop, Coat d'arms, Army Painter (I don't like AP myself, but others love them) Secret Weapon, Tamiya for airbrushing etc, etc

So look and see what you may have available locally.... as winter is not the best time to mail order paints...

• Like 2

Yeah I was think the same thing.  I think I am going to slowly start getting the better miniature paints, and just slowly build up my collection of those.

Any suggestions on which is the "best"?  Someone suggested a good way to build up is to buy the MSP triads.

Everybody has their own preference, but Reaper MSP has a good rep and few anomalies.  Most can be solved by using one of the liner colours as a primer coat on Bones (I like Brown Liner but they should all work just as well).  Reaper is generally the handiest by-mail source.  MSP would be a good start, and as you read what other people use you may want to try other brands. 

Much of what I use is no longer in production (Reaper Pro Paint and Partha Paint).  In fact, next year my oldest paint still in use will turn 30 years old!

(my minis may tend to 90's style partly because I'm essentially using 90's paints)

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 2

I'll second the Rosemary & Co brushes. After I got hold of those I rarely look for my W&N or other quality brushes. They just works for me.

Rosemary & Co also have sets of brushes, containing brushes hand-picked from all their models by other artists. There's at least one or two of those sets geared just for miniature painting.

Take a look at those sets and don't get hung up on Series 33 as 'the only series to have'.

I find that having a couple of their Filberts is nice for 'large' evenly covering areas.

Another option for you is to buy one or both the Reaper Learn To Paint Kits.

They're not all that expensive, and contains 3 minis, brushes and a set of paints suited for the topic of the kits.

Some people my brag about owning 20/0 or even a 30/0 brush...

(I did, too, when I started out. They're even Reaper brushes... )

They're just too small for most uses, so they never gets taken out of the bamboo roll I store brushes in.

Sure, you can do some precision work with them, but most of that work can also be done with a R&co #0 because it's so perfectly pointed. And the R & Co brush is less likely to have the paint dry out in the bristles after you dip and before you can touch it to the mini...

Brush soap. It's not just a good idea. It's an elfed good idea.

• Like 2

Here is what I use to paint

The bulk of my paint is reaper and citadel. (I do not recommend Citadel as its price is not worth the paint. It was a gift)

What I will say about Citadel though is their shade line is awesome!. They are worth the money. Its technical paints are pretty good as well. Blood for the blood god and Nurgle Rot are my favorite.

Now Reaper paints for the most part I find to be the easiest for wet blending (that's just personal preference) I think the triads do well and recommend them.

What I don't recommend from reaper though is their line of metallics. To be fair to reaper they do have a new line but I have yet to test them. Vallejo Has good metallics and transparents (which are pretty cool)

So basically my paint rack looks like this

Reaper - bulk colors (I have citadel also but I don't like using them that much Ive been trying to use them up)

Vallejo - Inks, Metallics and Transparents (Transparents are like glazes but I have found that when I try to use a glaze on a clear miniature it fogs. The Transparents don't...)

Citadel - Shades, Glazes, and technicals (btw shades are washes)

I have some Pokorny paint for my terrain stuff. (Dwarven forge paint...its really good surprisingly most cost effective that any of the other miniature paints but better quality than apple barrel or other generic craft paint. I have not tried it on miniatures yet but I plan to.)

• Like 2

About 40% of my paints are Reaper MSP, 40% Scale 75 ( best metallics imho) 15% Vallejo and 5% other ( P3, GW a few crafts paints etc)

• Like 1

Ok so I'll probably start with the MSP.  They sell it at my local game store for about 3.75 a bottle, with shipping figured in, it seems about the going rate.

What colors would be the first you would get (lets say first 10) and be as specific as possible since there are so many variations of each color.

Or should I do it on a mini by mini basis?

I just want to have a good starting point. 

• Like 2

Ok so I'll probably start with the MSP.  They sell it at my local game store for about 3.75 a bottle, with shipping figured in, it seems about the going rate.

What colors would be the first you would get (lets say first 10) and be as specific as possible since there are so many variations of each color.

Or should I do it on a mini by mini basis?

I just want to have a good starting point. 

Depends on what kind of minis you like to paint, and on what you already have covered for now.

For example if you paint mainly undead you will want bone colours, browns maybe sickly greens, while for humans you need a good skin colour, maybe some brighter blues and reds.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on Army Painter?

Found a descent priced kit on Amazon, I don't want to link to it because I'm unsure if it will cause my post to be removed.

From the description: The Army Painter Mega Paint Set has 34 Warpaints, 7 Quickshade Ink Tones and 1 Anti-Shine Varnish and 3 wargaming brushes

Priced at $79.99