Sign in to follow this  
NecroMancer

My WIP, please lend advise

Ok so I'll probably start with the MSP.  They sell it at my local game store for about 3.75 a bottle, with shipping figured in, it seems about the going rate.

What colors would be the first you would get (lets say first 10) and be as specific as possible since there are so many variations of each color.

Or should I do it on a mini by mini basis?

I just want to have a good starting point. 

The basics are always good.  Black & White, yellow, red, blue, green, purple and a couple of browns would be my choice for ten colors to start with.  Pick a good mid-tone at the store for all your basic colors, and then play with them to see what happens.  Having a million different bottles of paint is convenient, but it doesn't teach you how to tweak a color if you want it to be richer or faded or any other variation.   With a basic set of ten colors you can ultimately create any shade and color you want.  If you're afraid of wasting paint, then you can always experiment with the less expensive paints.

• Like 1

I have the first Mega Set.

The white is so very thick and chalky that I've never been able to get a good result with it.

Some of the other colours also have issues. The bottles are smaller than Reaper's, and they're filled so full that the first time you use them paint or medium gushes out as soon as you uscrew the cap. And yeah, when they're so full it's impossible to shake them up properly, which means that the stuff you squeeze out(or gushes out) is either mostly pigment or mostly medium. So that the mix afterwards is always going to be wrong.

I've had to pour out 3 - 4ml of some to be able to fit a Hematite bead as a stirrer.

But that's my experience with them.

The tones and the varnish is good, though. The brushes are... OK. Not Rosemary & Co OK, but they'll do. Better than most sold in ordinary hobby or craft stores.

Their brushes have a triangular cross-section of the handle, so some prefer them just for that.

Reaper's paints are $3.29 from their store, and assuming you're in the US, $40 worth of goods will not just get you a lot of nice stuff and free shipping, but also this month's Free Mini.

(The first LTPK is $37.99. Add a bottle of varnish and you're over the limit)

CMON had their paints at half off. I don't know if they still have any left...

• Like 2

Any thoughts on Army Painter?

Found a descent priced kit on Amazon, I don't want to link to it because I'm unsure if it will cause my post to be removed.

From the description: The Army Painter Mega Paint Set has 34 Warpaints, 7 Quickshade Ink Tones and 1 Anti-Shine Varnish and 3 wargaming brushes

Priced at $79.99

They're not terrible but the consistency varies considerably from color to color.  Some of them are peerless for special uses (black is amazing), but I wouldn't use them as a starter core.  I have and use a lot of Coat d'Arms and feel the same way about them - LOVE them for what they're good at, wouldn't build my core from them. 

• Like 3

I think since you're interested in working on layering, the Reaper Layer Up Learn to Paint kit would be an excellent choice for you to check out some MSP. Good variety of colours in that set to build a paint collection with and you can still use them in conjunction with your craft paints and see what works best for you.

• Like 2

Ok so I'll probably start with the MSP.  They sell it at my local game store for about 3.75 a bottle, with shipping figured in, it seems about the going rate.

What colors would be the first you would get (lets say first 10) and be as specific as possible since there are so many variations of each color.

Or should I do it on a mini by mini basis?

I just want to have a good starting point.

Well you cant go wrong with White, Black, Blue, Red, Yellow, Orange, Purple, Green, Brown, Flow Improver

Also keep in mind. When you buy paint from a second hand store. (by second hand I mean not the company directly.) Paint has a shelf life. So sometimes you get bad paint.

• Like 1

Alrighty! I finally got the Demon Boar finished!  I think I improved from my first paint but got a long ways to go.

I know my dry brushing could use some work but feel that I'm getting a better handle of the idea.

Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_20170228_222056.thumb.jpg.ae8153d12714017372e89d56f3a1c8cb.jpgIMG_20170228_222216.thumb.jpg.34fda8df1802b76e947bb91a6d03f1cf.jpg58b88cb99c599_IMG_20170228_222404(1).thumb.jpg.d72dc5ee51f87e4495d6f7763afc34f8.jpg58b88cbd2426f_IMG_20170228_222432(1).thumb.jpg.c5680c6863d164721fbbf95a02e66204.jpgO

Oh and I just began the mage and am actually using some Vallejo Game Color, so I am starting to move away from the craft paints!

I did a lot of touch up after the photos so I am sure there are no bare spots... I think its mostly the flash that's making the spots looks bare.  Oh well I am trying to figure out painting and then I'll work on my photography.

IMG_20170228_222412.jpg

IMG_20170228_222432.jpg

• Like 10

I'll chime in on the paints and the well-painted boar. 

Let's start with the boar:

I'm a fan of those skin tones.  In fact, I paint very similar skin tones on my Fire Giants and on the Warpwolf that I have painted.  Very well done, and done with craft paints if I've read everything correctly.  Great work!  The fur feels fairly natural, and some places are highlighted a little higher than I'd expect, but it's overall a great piece.  Now, the base, the base is looks like stone. You succeeded there and, looking at the fur, used some of the tones to tie it all together.  That's a good piece and good work! 

Have you given thoughts to using a base of any sort or are you going to leave him as is (which really works for this monster, to be honest).

Now, to paints and brushes:

For my own use (and some in the gallery WILL cringe at me for this), but I use Hobby Lobby's Master's Series Golden Taklon brushes.  When cleaned after EVERY use, they last for about a year and a half.  I have a size zero, and and a size three.  I also have some Craftsmart brushes (which are also a Hobby Lobby brush), but they are not nearly as nice, and I use them for primers and base coating.  I am about to take the leap to nicer brushes, but that will likely happen after I become more ancient (read: after my birthday).

For paints: 

My current mixture is a mix of Vallejo, Reaper, and even some army painter.  I have their ink washes (Soft, Strong, and Dark tones), and they are equal to the Citadel Nuln oil if not better simply for having different tones built right in.  Dark tone, no matter how much I thin it, seems to darken quite a bit, while Strong and Soft tones can be diluted.  The other colors I have are Hydra Turquoise, Lava Orange, and their yellow.  Their yellow and orange need a bright tone underneath (i.e WHITE or yellow for orange).  Otherwise they just fall flat.  My only other wash that I use is privateer press's "brown ink."  It's sepia.  Not brown.  It's wonderful stuff for certain effects.

Vallejo makes up the core of my collection, with their model color metallics being my metallics of choice (no experience with Reaper, but the Army Painter ones only the Copper has been used by me, and it's decent, but not the level of awesome that Valleho paints are).  

The skin tones you used remind me of a mix I use, as I said above.  The mix for that is Vallejo Model Color german Grey plus either Prussian Blue or Dark Blue (same line) for shadows, with Vallejo Game Color Dark Skin for the main skin, using various reds (I'm fond of Game color Scarlet Red which is dull and Gory Red which is a bright blood color,  or Model Color Red (more of an orange red) or Cadmium Red).  Highlight up with oranges and away you go. 

Speaking of Skin Tones, I have started working with Reaper paint triads for my skin tones.  I've had some great results, but I have some suggestions.  Pick a much darker tone to put down below your main skin tone.  Some have used Drow or Dusky skin for the deepest shadows, while I have used browns and tans depending on the tone, even a red once as an experiment.

You'll find that each paint has something it's really good at for you.  Some paints work amazingly well for some people, while they don't work at all for the same thing for you.  You work with your paints, they will either sing or stomp on you, and you need to decide what way they go for you to make them work for you. 

• Like 4