Sign in to follow this  

I have been working on this Idol of Crom to use in the Monolith Conan game - made from a bust and then surrounded/based in  cork for the rough stone. I started with black and worked up with overbrushed layers of grey, as well as pushing around some nearly dry paints in parts to create texture. There are also washes of black and Secret Weapon Stone involved. I am basically at the final highlight stage, then will do some dirt and grass around the rough stone part. A fun project!

First picture, starting to build up the base:

post-1081-0-06975800-1487882902.jpg

• Like 7

I never knew what Crom was supposed to be. For all I knew he had the head of a Bear and the tail of a Fish...and a big axe (:unsure: obviously).

• Like 3

Well you could be right :) I have always had a pet theory that he was based on a real warrior/warlord and that Conan is of that bloodline. One of the pastiche novels Tor put out had a similar idea, there is a scene where someone looks upon a huge statue of Crom and it's implied that it looks like Conan.But REH himself never addressed it as far as I recall.

Edited by primeval
  • Like 1

Well you could be right :) I have always had a pet theory that he was based on a real warrior/warlord and that Conan is of that bloodline. One of the pastiche novels Tor put out had a similar idea, there is a scene where someone looks upon a huge statue of Crom and it's implied that it looks like Conan.But REH himself never addressed it as far as I recall.

I read the REH stories way back when...and like you say, I don't recall anymuch detail about Crom at all.

Did the movie add some stuff about forges, and steel, and swords?

• Like 1

Crom himself is done - but not sure if I should do the rest of the rock the same way or leave it as is; I like the look of this but not sure it makes sense. Any input appreciated!

post-1081-0-41186900-1487960319_thumb.png

• Like 4

That's amazing! Love it

I would definitely leave the stone and statue the way you've done them (colour wise) - it makes Crom really stand out.

Some snow would be really awesome though as well!

• Like 1