I'm not necessarily looking for advice (which might make this the wrong board, but I wasn't sure where else to go), but I sat down to paint tonight for the first time in too long. I have a habit of having several minis going at once. My girlfriend teases me about it, which is fine, but it did get me to wondering if I'm weird in that regard. What about you folks? Do you tend to paint a mini to completion before you move on to the next one (or finish one group that obviously goes together), or do you have a haphazard mix of WIPs at various stages of completion?

• Like 5
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always have a paint test dummy (PTD) standing by. Sometimes 2 or 3.

A PTD is even more useful than a crash test dummy. It checks to see if there is too much paint on the brush if attempting to dry brush. It is a place excess paint can go that would otherwise dry out. Colors can be tried out...

It is something to paint on while the principle mini is allowed to dry.

101 uses.

• Like 5

No you're not unusual at all.  I have about a dozen figures in all different states of completion on my painting table right now.  For some reason, I like to do a little on several different figures, rather then push through just one figure from start to finish.   It somehow makes it seem like I'm getting more done! :)

It also lets me pick up and paint whatever best suits my mood and or time frame, when I sit-down at my table. 

And that doesn't even include the half dozen under-construction terrain projects I have on my shelves...

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 2

I have, uhmmmmm, twenty minis in various states of completion. I tend to mostly finish something then go on to the next one because I got stuck, tired of painting little details, had extra paint I didn't want to waste, got the new hotness that I just couldn't wait to paint.

• Like 6

Current in-process projects:

a unit of 10 wood elves, 3 treekin, and a treeman for a friend

a GW ork just to play with shading skin and blacks

a timber-framed house--28mm scale of course

two Ral Partha metals from the Dragon Quest game

a Reaper hippogryp I converted (from a griffon and a unicorn)

painting cats and sculpting books and building shelves for a library diorama...

Sometimes I will have a main piece I'm working on, but there's always bonus stuff in the background if I get bored/stuck on one project.

• Like 1

Painting: One to done if I can help it (though there are a few abandoned projects).

Sculpting: Typically, I have 3 to 7 sculpts going at once.  That lets me keep going when I hit a point when putty needs to cure on a particular figure. My current load is 5, but one is so big it sort of counts as 2 to 3 as I can let putty cure on one part and move on to a whole different part of it.

• Like 3

I pretty much stick to painting one figure at a time until it's complete. Although, I sometimes queue up a few minis & paint all their eyes together or if I'm using a "go-to colour set" on a given area of a mini, I may also get several painted up partially then sync them all up together to paint the colour set on them all.

• Like 1

Painting: One to done if I can help it (though there are a few abandoned projects).

Sculpting: Typically, I have 3 to 7 sculpts going at once.  That lets me keep going when I hit a point when putty needs to cure on a particular figure. My current load is 5, but one is so big it sort of counts as 2 to 3 as I can let putty cure on one part and move on to a whole different part of it.

Painting paintings is like that too, especially if I'm using oils. I am usually painting at least two or three at a time, but with an extra large one I can move around as the paint dries.

• Like 4

I always have multiple projects going.

As Chris said, some nights I'm in the mood to paint X, other nights It's Y...

I usually also have some type of simple (HAH!) pieces going for short breaks from detail work...

Last 'simple' project

Current 'simple' project

You can see all my current  WiPs listed in the January / February Challenge thread here

• Like 3

I would be interested in hearing from people who paint things in a neat and orderly fashion, one at a time. I am sure there must be such people, although I am beginning to suspect they are rare.

• Like 5

I was haphazard, but I made a conscious switch to One Til Done.  "One" actually refers to the value of a set - so a thief figure is "one", but a 4-pack of goblins is also "one".  Bigger than that and I divide into subsets, so if I had 20 goblins I'd make it 5 sets of 4.  18 hobgoblins I make 6 sets of 3 (4 at once seems to be my effective max; even division helps pace it better).

Not all of what I start I want to finish, but I have thus far been ruthlessly rigorous in sticking to the plan.  The shelf of shame no longer grows and is actually shrinking.  I'm getting good output and practice. 

Right now I don't much care for Project Three and would much rather work on my neato partha enchantress.  I will therefore do Project Three anyway.  7-14 days later it'll be done and then I can do the enchantress.  A month from now I won't even remember the aggravation of Project Three.  Hell, I did Takhisis 2 and a half months back and it's fuzzy like a half-remembered dream.

I dunno if it'll work for other people, but it's paying out like a hacked slot machine for me.

• Like 7