Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Drow shrunken heads and LARP weapons

I spotted this table of goodies at a science fiction convention last weekend.  The proprietor makes, among other things, a wide variety of soft LARP weapons -- and shrunken head trophies.

He gave me permission to take pictures and post them online.

I note the goblin heads are the proper orange color.

IMG_0651-Caveloot.com_zps7tuvko2y.jpg

Ruler included for scale:

IMG_0653_zpsfxu4uq2f.jpg

IMG_0655_zpsyl2if6r9.jpg

IMG_0656_zpsv2zfebny.jpg

• Like 15

Alas, Photobucket turned Evil.

Since the pix are long gone, the gentleman in question ran a store called Cave Loot, at what used to be caveloot-dot-com and seems to now be thecaverns-dot-net.

He seems to sell a wide variety of fun gaming props, including soft rubber shrunken heads and weapons, deeds and paperwork, and, uh, other stuff.

Here is kinda the method that I use - but there are some differences.

I use strong tea instead of just lemon juice - it dyes the apple a darker brown.

I use beads for the yes - making just slits instead of sockets, or I sew the eyes shut with coarse thread.

Ditto for the mouths - a line of seed pearls or sewing the lips shut.

Some crepe hair to finish it off, held in place with a loop of wire.

I wish I could say I made this up - but the truth is that I learned how to do this from a Craft Toy called Vincent Price's Shrunken Heads.

flashbakshrunkenhead2.jpg

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tolex Cat
      I'm painting this up for the BBEG this weekend. Last night I tried the layering technique for black by using multiple thin layers of complementary colors. Someone posted the artist and demo on the Reaper fan page a couple of weeks back when someone asked about painting black. If anyone knows the artist or link, please let me know since I can't find it. I highly recommend it. While these pics don't show the various tones of colors, it looks like rich black with some depth vs going flat like some black paints do. I love the effect. However, I will say it doesn't work as well on something more curvy. I was also trying it on another mini for her top and she'd very curvaceous. It looked a little weird so I just repainted it.

So that being said, I'd love some thoughts on what to do about the collar piece and gloves he has. Should I do the same black treatment or go with a different color? I think I'm going to do his pants in a gray so the focus is more on his armor. Thanks!
    • By Citrine
      I had used a bunch of leftover paint for the Reaper bones version of Aviriel Tellerion (77070), and those colors where more in the "evil spectrum" so I switched her over to being a dark elf.  Very happy with how her face turned out, sadly she is looking down so you cannot really see it on the table.
      It has been a while since I posted, I have had a slump in my desire to paint this spring and I tend to wait until I have a bunch to show off to get the light box out.   Avirion here was painted in March.

• By Mutilatedlips
      I've had plans to paint this for a long time, wanted to get it done before the bones 4 dark elf throne piece overshadows it. 

• By lazarp
      So one of my friends who plays dnd with me painted this one yesterday to be used as his pc in our campaign. He actually hasn't painted any minis for a few years so this one was a comeback for him . I really like how it turned out!

• By KingMob
      Meet Pollux! And his pseudo-dragon Nestor! Privateer turned Merc, and part of the Red Cloaks. Also: plays with fire.

89014: Seltyiel, Iconic Magus - BONES. Can you say 'fiddly bits'? This guy is packed to the gills with fiddly bits to paint. Yup, that much detail on a BONES miniature.

Painted in Autumn palette with NMM, OSL, and Texture. Really dig this miniature and how much character that was packed into 28mm. Another Klocke sculpt! That guys is brililant. Or insane. Or insanely brilliant. Either way, I like it.

• Who's Online   20 Members, 1 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)