True story: before I had built the base, I left this guy out on the table to dry, and one of my daughters shrieked upon seeing it. She then politely requested that I paint no more of them. I'll consider that a win.

This was my first experiment with pinning, as the spider was a single unit and had no base. Fun, but next time I'll try to remember to do it BEFORE painting...

I hate to keep posting minis of uncertain sources, but... The problem with spiders is that the sculpts look very similar.  I think this one is Reaper 02417, but am not 100% sure.

post-14952-0-47271900-1488220234_thumb.png

post-14952-0-44750700-1488220248_thumb.png

post-14952-0-52072300-1488220270_thumb.png

post-14952-0-64731100-1488220302_thumb.png

post-14952-0-79678700-1488220317_thumb.png

post-14952-0-36444000-1488220330_thumb.png

post-14952-0-11249400-1488220345_thumb.png

• Like 22
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59031: Terrantula

(For spiders, always look at the positions of the eyes, and the presence/shape of the pedipalps)

Whether to pin before or after painting is dependent on the particular miniature and just how you're attaching it to the base. Sometimes pinning pieces of a multi-part mini together or putting a mini on a base can make it harder (or impossible) to reach certain spots to paint them. But usually you'll at least want to make sure to drill the holes and attach the pins to one side or the other before you begin painting, and dry fit everything together to see how well it fits.

Often, you can use a pin in the bottom of a figure as a means of holding it while painting (either just holding it with your fingers or putting it in a pin vise to create a handle for the figure)...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lord of the Dish Pit
      Continuing on what will hopefully be a Halloween Season painting binge, a Wizkids Phase Spider in the traditional Halloween colors of Orange, Black, Green and Purple...

Surprisingly the underside wasn't too difficult to get to considering it's attached to the base out of the blister.

I liked the naturalistic pose of it, and here we can see the magic that is Reaper's Coal Black adding a nice subdued greenish tint to the legs.

I don't know what release phase the spider was a part of, but I've had him for awhile. WizKids can be kind of hit or miss when it comes to the frustration level of painting them, but this one was easy to work with and there wasn't any missing or obscured detail, nor were the mold line too bothersome. 

• By Zira
      First Reaper minis I've painted! Pretty proud of how the spider turned out! I tried to get an iridescent look on the crow, but I couldn't quite figure it out 😅
      Constructive critiques welcome!

• By lexomatic
      My 3rd encounter in the last month and I'll need to slow down a bit.
      Main Bones 5 WIP
      Specific WIP

The spiders were influenced by real spider types. The big black one was painted like the little red and blue one, Opadometa sarawakensis, but it was too distracting, so the color is on the underside. See p7 of WIP for more. The blue fuzzies ( Poecilotheria metallica) are tarantulas - adult and juvenile, so the small one is intentionally less bright.

More pics later

• By lexomatic
      Painting got interrupted by basement  flooding... and show off pics got got interrupted by more flooding... I will have a few more pics to add later  from behind and under when I have a moment.
      I may not do much more painting for a while  though. WIP starts here. A few posts surrounding show some of my Bones 5 dry fits and will have other Bones 5 stuff in that thread ...whenever I can paint again.
      Spider:

Base:

• By MoonglowMinis
      Back again with some spiders!

I tried out Rangers of Shadow Deep last night and got to break out my spider minis.  I've got a few Giant Spiders and Spider Swarms from the D&D board games Castle Ravenloft, and Legend of Drizzt respectively.

I had started these ages ago but quickly became dissatisfied with the direction they were headed.  A few months ago I picked them back up and went in a different direction.

The giant spiders in particular were letting me down.  The sculpt is pretty undefined.  It took some freehand fur work to bring it to life.  I also switched from a warm brown tone to a cool grey.  I think the added contrast makes them stand out a lot better.

I also added some used dryer sheets as webbing.  It's mostly successful.  The super glue turned it invisible in places which sort of works as holes in the web.  Definitely will revisit this idea again in future projects.

The spider swarms are less successful.  I tried to keep three distinct colorations to help them stand apart from one another.  But with such poorly defined details, they could have used more contrast.  They work well enough.  Maybe I'll revisit them, but I tend to just move on after calling something "good enough."

What do you all do for swarm minis?  I find that most of mine look rather drab or incomprehensible.
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 3 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)