Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Basilisk from the Bones 5 Core Set.
I wanted to give him the classic green and gold coloring of the basilisks of lore, and I am happy with how he turned out.
Learning how to blend and layer is a continuous process of improvement for me, so tips and advice are welcome!
One of the two selections this week was the basilisk. I immediately knew I wanted to this guy as blue when I saw him, but didn't realize I'd go orange, too.
* Started this one with a brush coating of the new dark purple from Bones 5. I mean, you get these new colors, you gotta use 'em, right?
* Lightening up the purple to blues with rich indigo, then again to aquamarine. I wanted the blue to really pop.
* After getting all the blues in place it immediately occurred to me I wanted to go in a different direction. I looked at the color wheel and saw orange on the opposite end of the spectrum. Let's do it. Used it as a filter to not lose the dry brushing color and it ended up making a cool skin effect. Sweet!
* Using the orange now as my basis for something brighter and could lighten up, I placed it between all the scales and used it to bring forward the shadows.
* The shadows weren't bright enough, so I took the liberties of using an orange/yellow mix to show scales on the underbelly and match them to the little dots I found on this guy's skin. With there only being a few dots they looked out of place, so I added some more dots to bring it out. May have gone a little heavy handed...
* Taking a note from my Werewolf I did in a previous post, I used the Drakenshade for areas where the muscle or armor were and used it very sparingly. Looks great and worked great! Helped define the musculature.
* Eyes pop, but feel I could have made them better.
* I love the way the bone and horns look, but I'm not sure they work for this basilisk. I originally had them as blue, but opted to keep them light. Not sure how anyone else feels about this?
* The scales on the feet needed something and rather than going orange, I went with the blue seen above. Again, seems pretty bright and I'm not totally sold on it, but it works.
This guy was fun, looks good overall, but also has a LOT going on for colors. Obviously, this is a departure from classic basilisk colors, but then again - IT'S FANTASY! I thought making the yellow areas look as though they are soft spots for a team to target. Not sure it worked fully, but it was fun. Win.
If you have any feedback or comments, please lay them on me. I can't get better without some direction from the team.
I have been slightly less of a workaholic in May than in April, so I have been able to do some quartely challenges as well as the monthlies. I am probably not going to be able to paint anything else this month, so here goes.
These were all painted for the Reaper challenge league May, and again, squeezed in between work. So, low effort speed painting is the key. which also shows that is it possible to get quite decent results in a short time as long as you accept there will be some rough bits.
there are some pictures below
Hello everyone. Here it is, I completed my chimeric aberration. At the heart of the barren wasteland, during a cursed journey to redemption, the champion met a limping chimeric aberration. It has the main features of a giant hound, a vulture head stretches out of its right side and a hulking insect head sits on the left side.
Every part I used are from Reaper Miniatures. The main body is a 02817 Moor Hound sculpted by Ben Siens. The two extra heads are from 03069, Hooked Hulk sculpted by Michael Brower which are included in 03440 creature components pack 2. The spiked tail is from a 14456 Mastema sculpted by Julie Guthrie, included in 03334 Creature Components. The wings are from a 03641 Gunslinger model sculpted by Bob Ridolfi. I finally swapped its left side paws for claw and a palmed foot at the back. These parts are part of the 03440 creature components pack 2.
The colors are all Reaper MSP paint. I was inspired by the Cù-Sìth from the Scottish folklore for the main body. The additional heads have traditional vulture and praying mantis colors. Due to the large size of the monster, I built a 50mm wide base. I plan to create the stats for this monster and build a surprise encounter for my fellow D&D player. Let me know what you think about it.
Here is the link to the WIP.
More pics under the spoiler.
Who's Online 6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 88 Guests (See full list)