Domur, High Mage - Competition Mini

Talae

I just stumbled across this thread by @Pingo

I am intrigued at the idea of limiting myself further than the eight. The color choices of Ultramarine Shadow and Chestnut Brown seem like decent choices here as well. I think I could add Brown Liner and a white.

Any suggestions on what that might be lacking?

• Like 2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Progress begins!

The mini has been primed. I have not gotten confirmation on whether or not I can rebase the mini, so I pinned through the bottom of the base in order to be able to use the mini holder grip.

I also put the limited palette in the picture. The primer doesn't count and I don't think sealer does either. That leaves me four more paints I could use...or maybe I just stick with these?

Any suggestions on changes or additions are welcomed.

IMG_0113.thumb.JPG.88e6d7f1391717bf4ce32a6d4bb3b1fe.JPG

• Like 7

On 3/2/2017 at 8:51 PM, Pochi said:

Ok, so is it you can only use 8 colors? Or you can only use 8 paints? With the 3 primary colors and black and white, you can make almost any color. Plus, if you can use 8 paints but mix all the colors you want, how would they even know? I am a big overthinker.

You can kind of tell.  If you're mixing all your colors from a limited starting palette they will tend to have certain harmonies with each other.  Bringing in ringers can throw off the balance, have certain jolting transitions.

It's a little hard to explain.  Best stick to the honor system anyhow, since that's the point of the exercise, seeing what you can do from this start.

Ooh, I missed the second page of posts ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Talae said:

Progress begins!

The mini has been primed. I have not gotten confirmation on whether or not I can rebase the mini, so I pinned through the bottom of the base in order to be able to use the mini holder grip.

I also put the limited palette in the picture. The primer doesn't count and I don't think sealer does either. That leaves me four more paints I could use...or maybe I just stick with these?

Any suggestions on changes or additions are welcomed.

IMG_0113.thumb.JPG.88e6d7f1391717bf4ce32a6d4bb3b1fe.JPG

When I painted my duochrome giants, I was using a pure Ultramarine Blue paint.  Reaper's Ultramarine Shadow is a mix based on different pigments which will act a little differently.  It should still more or less work.

While I was painting those giants I sometimes yearned for a good yellow.  It would have made skin tones much easier and added the possibilities for some greens and bright contrasts.  A bright red would also open up a lot of possibilities; a cold, magenta-like red (assuming you also add a yellow) would be most useful, adding the possibilities of violets, oranges, and scarlets.

I think you might be able to do without the Linen White in favor of a more pure white, especially if you add a yellow paint.  I've found that white plus a tiny amount of yellow and even less brown makes a versatile, subtly warm white for highlights, very like linen white.  Also, starting with a more pure white will let you mix bluer blues and cleaner greys.

You might be able to manage without the Brown Liner, although it is handy and since you have the options for more paints having it on hand saves having to mix your own approximation.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

You can kind of tell.  If you're mixing all your colors from a limited starting palette they will tend to have certain harmonies with each other.  Bringing in ringers can throw off the balance, have certain jolting transitions.

It's a little hard to explain.  Best stick to the honor system anyhow, since that's the point of the exercise, seeing what you can do from this start.

Ooh, I missed the second page of posts ...

I did a poor job of explaining what I meant. Do you give them a list of the paints you used? How do they know what 8 paints you are using?

As far as what other paints to add, I was going to suggest a nice yellow. Pingo's suggestions are really good and do give you more versatility for mixing.

I will add a yellow (Sun Yellow?) and a red (Clear Magenta?). Also I will swap the Linen White for Pure White (is 09039 a better choice than 29842 Solid White?). I will keep the brown liner if I can, since I love using it for eyes and dark lining.

As for the contest, I am to make paint swatches on a piece of paper and submit that when I enter the mini. It is definitely on the honor system to a certain extent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Talae said:

I will add a yellow (Sun Yellow?) and a red (Clear Magenta?). Also I will swap the Linen White for Pure White (is 09039 a better choice than 29842 Solid White?). I will keep the brown liner if I can, since I love using it for eyes and dark lining.

As for the contest, I am to make paint swatches on a piece of paper and submit that when I enter the mini. It is definitely on the honor system to a certain extent. 

I can't say as to the whites.  I believe Pure White is pure Titanium White, which is as white as you can get.  But I'm not experienced enough in all the ins and outs of Reaper paints to say for sure.  If Solid White is more opaque you might find it easier going.

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, skippen said:

Eight pure colors?  Or are you allowed to mix?  If mixing is allowed, 8 is infinite.

I will confess, mixing not being allowed didn't even cross my mind.

... And it's not infinite, it's an eight-dimensional matrix of possibilities.  

• Like 4

On 3/1/2017 at 8:08 PM, Pingo said:

Assuming black and white must be included, I might suggest a palette of: white, Burnt Sienna, Quinacridone Red, Red Iron Oxide, Hansa Yellow, Phthalo Green, Ultramarine Blue, and one of Phthalo Blue or Yellow Iron Oxide or a black.

I can't find my Q. Red right now, but I'd say it's both more opaque and less purpley than Reaper's Clear Magenta. Both very nice and useful colors, though. (A glaze of Clear Magenta on the face at the end of painting skin tones can really add life to the figure.)

I might add/substitute Dioxazine Purple or Cobalt Blue for one of Pingo's range depending on what I was trying for. Dioxazine Purple plus various amounts of Titanium White makes a gorgeous range of colors that can work really well for a cloak if purple works with the rest of the composition. It will give you a more saturated pure purple than mixing a blue and red will. And Cobalt Blue mixes very nicely to make a range of colors as well.

As others have said, though, eight pigments is an embarrassment of riches.

• Like 2

Chestnut Brown on the belt and staff. Pure White on the flames to set the "shadows" (what do you call them if they area lighter color?). I also hit some more dark lining that I missed the first time around and also dark lined the other arm/book, but I didn't take a pic of it yet.

IMG_0115.thumb.JPG.2b1baff5a7fff555c73a925cab33aed6.JPG

• Like 10