Domur, High Mage - Competition Mini

Talae

8 hours ago, Pingo said:

I will confess, mixing not being allowed didn't even cross my mind.

... And it's not infinite, it's an eight-dimensional matrix of possibilities.  

Well, yes, not technically infinite, but with red, blue, and yellow, plus black and white--there is not a color you can't mix (except metallics).  Some colors of course you would have to mix first before mixing them with another to get some other colors, but based on your mixing skill there is really nothing limiting about eight paints.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Worked up a mix for the face and another for the tongue. The tongue got a little Magenta Clear.

The lighting wasn't as good as I wanted, but hopefully you can see the eyes well enough to give feedback. I am not sure that have the brush control to get color in the iris, but what do you think about pupil locations and size.

I could also use some feedback on color choice of the cloak.

IMG_0118.thumb.JPG.b1157b0de4f72a1f380f3b10429428af.JPG

Edited by Talae
Added feedback requests.
  • Like 13

I think the eyes look great!  I wouldn't worry at all about brush control or further details there (unless later you wish to add a highlight or something).

As for the cloak, I am always a fan of purple.  Eyeballing it, I think you should be able to add a little of that blue you're using for the spell effect to some of the magenta to make one (The magenta, if it's what I think it is, is a weaker pigment, and the blue a strong one.  To mix with control, start with the weaker color and add little bits of the stronger until it's near where you want.).  To make it a more subtle, organic purple, or to make its shadows, mix in a small amount of Chestnut Brown.

Alternately, depending on what colors you wish to make his garments, you could make the cloak, or its lining at least, a green mixed from Sun Yellow plus a little black.  Highlight with more yellow, shade with more black, and it works surprisingly well.

• Like 4

I really like how he's progressing! Way to go ::):!

The flames look great as they are but I think they could look even better. There seems to be a lot of white hot flame areas where some gradual shading of extremely thinned blue could go to merge the white with the blue of the outer flames. It's hard to specify where - actually, look at the last picture (the one of Domur's back). Right where the face ends, there is a line of white that climbs up the middle of the left-most flame tendril. You could gradually glaze a very diluted blue there until it looks seamless. Easy.

Again, on the whole, I love this idea of only having 8 colours (primer excluded) to paint a model. You're doing a wonderful job so keep it up!

• Like 2

/blows dust off this thread. 

Looks like I did it again this month. I have pushed this to the end of the month. Last night I added a few layers of a purple (2:1 magenta:blue) and then started working on highlights by gradually adding in white, but I kept trying to glaze back the mid tone and losing the highlights. 

I am not a big fan of mixing in comparison to the handiness of going back and forth from highlights to shadow colors. I might need to just be less frugal with my paint.

I am unsure on what colors to use for the unpainted parts.

Edited by Talae
  • Like 2

It could be my monitor, but the purple on the cloak/hat is coming off fairly blue (which looks good) so perhaps contrasting with some red on the clothes?  I would suggest white, but shading it might be difficult on a limited pallette.  

• Like 1

Thanks for doing this.  I've just made a new PC to use this mini and am painting him now too.  Your pictures helped me pick out details like the top of the staff with the gem I didn't even know was there.  I am doing red fire with blue robes, grey beard.

When would you suggest attaching the arm?

Edited by gerb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gargs said:

It could be my monitor, but the purple on the cloak/hat is coming off fairly blue (which looks good) so perhaps contrasting with some red on the clothes?  I would suggest white, but shading it might be difficult on a limited pallette.  

I am not sure about my color choice so far. The purple is pretty blue. Do you think it takes away from the flames? Should add another drop of magenta (3:1 clear magenta:ultramarine blue instead of 2:1)?

I will have to think more about the other colors.

35 minutes ago, gerb said:

Thanks for doing this.  I've just made a new PC to use this mini and am painting him now too.  Your pictures helped me pick out details like the top of the staff with the gem I didn't even know was there.  I am doing red fire with blue robes, grey beard.

When would you suggest attaching the arm?

Glad I can help. I want to paint the arm to at least 80% before attaching it. It will be impossible to paint around. This mini is already a pain to paint around the cloak, hat, flames, and staff.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Talae said:

I am not sure about my color choice so far. The purple is pretty blue. Do you think it takes away from the flames? Should add another drop of magenta (3:1 clear magenta:ultramarine blue instead of 2:1)?

I will have to think more about the other colors.

Hmmm, on the one hand, they are definitely not the same color, but they are more harmonious than contrasting.  I think that with the right colors on the rest of the clothes it should likely be fine, but I have to confess that my grasp of color theory comes more in the form of "Yikes, that didn't work!" than "Oh, yeah, that's not going to work."  In other words, I can see it when its done, but not always predict it beforehand.  Regardless, I think somewhere you are likely to have colors that are harmonious to the flames unless you Domur himself to feel pretty monochrome.  Make the cloak redder and the clothes blue and you are back to the same issue.  

All of this is a very long about way of saying that I do actually like the look of it so far, just noting that your purple was more a blue (on my monitor which isn't always going to look like everyone else's) and thus thinking that a reddish color to the clothes would work well (though the pants probably want a different color from the shirt, etc.)

Hope that helps somewhat.  Certainly I don't have the greatest grasp of color theory around so hopefully somebody else can pipe in soon!  :)

• Like 1