Any airplane modelers among us?

haldir

After this past weekend's mishap with a car model, lets just say a hammer was involved.....:blink:,  I think I'm ready to start on that Iron Maiden Boeing 747-400 kit now. Now I know of the various aftermarket sites & stuff for car models but I have no clue for planes, let alone a passenger jetliner. Mainly need photo-etch & such for plane kits. I know of Eduard as they do PE sets for all kinds of model.

What little I did find after doing a google the other day was that I might be out of luck for my model of Boeing. Now I did come across a 737-400 set. Curious if that would work since really just using the PE stuff for the smaller stuff on a kit. I need to email that company that I seen that one today.

Either way, post away if you are. We might be able to help each other every now & then.

thanks!

• Like 2

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been many years since I touched a plane kit as well & even then it was a military jet. ha ha.

The IM kit is very nice overall just with almost every new kit I open I look at the aftermarket options before I did into it. Seems like the B747 isn't a popular number. I think that honor goes to the B737.

• Like 1

I occasionally dabble in aircraft models. If I do build, usually it is in 1/72. I am really digging the new Airfix line of models. Big improvement over their older molds. Also have a few kits from Academy, Fujimi & Hasegawa.

Really though I am an armor modeler and have quite the stash of kits! Right now I am working on a 1/35 AFV Club M5A1 Stuart. Slow going as it is very detailed (parts breakdown suggest they wanted to do a full interior; I'm not that big on full interiors though so its lack doesn't bother me too much). I recently finished up a Dragon M60 Patton tank (M60 "Slick" as they used to say), with a new aftermarket 105mm gun barrel, cupola robbed from an Academy Patton, and new mantlet from Tiger Models. Kit wasn't bad but some well known issues, and the IR searchlight was noticably too small. A little dissappointing as the M60 is my favorite tank...

The key to using PE is that you don't NEED to use it all! If I buy some AM photo-etch, I'll usually use perhaps half the fret. Some parts are just insane or not really necessary (like pe grab handles...make those out of wire or plastic rod!) or don't actually enhance detail where it is needed. Sometimes they detail areas that are not needed, while omitting areas that are (Eduard's PE fret for the Zvezda JS-2 comes to mind...). And you know, sometimes it's just easier to find detail parts in another media (like resin or white metal) than to goof around with the PE (like the DshK machine gun on aformentioned JS-2...easier to just pick up an AM resin machine gun instead). These are the lessons I have learned from model building...

Damon.

• Like 2

Check Squadron. They carry a wide variety of aftermarket detailing sets for all sorts of models. I don't know that their prices are the best, but they have very good selection.

For that matter, I know that passenger liners are a significant market for model companies, but that's about all I know, as I only ever really built military models.

• Like 2

Yah after I posted (again) I came across a pretty decent jetliner model store. It mostly had resin engines for all scales & various decals for schemes over the years. The old United logo/scheme made me think of my first jetliner ride back when I was a kid..Heck even had Frontier's schemes. Love those tails!!

Anyways I did find a photo-etch set for 1/144 scale kits, even said Revell so at least I got a lead. Now I just gotta convert Revell brand to other paint companies.

• Like 1

You will find that aftermarket resin and photo-etch detail parts for airliners are few and far between. Most aircraft detail parts center on cockpits, engines, wheelwells, and ordnance. This is impractical for airliners due to their scale - small windows for the cockpits and pax compartments and most airliner gear doors are only open when the gear is cycling. Not much to see when the doors are closed. There were a few resin replacement engine pods with the maintenance clamshell doors open revealing the engine. These may be similar to the ones you mentioned. Ordnance, of course,is a non-player.

The greatest aftermarket accessory by far was decals depicting the various airlines around the world. This changed a number of years ago due a sudden awareness of copyright issues on the part of the airlines. Model railroaders went through a similar issue with train markings.

Good luck in your search.

• Like 1