ThatDeadGuy

Warlord - the state of play

Well, how could fans push / encourage Warlord without stepping on Reaper's IP, strategy or prerogatives?

The prices for the books on Amazon be cray cray:

[MOD] Links removed [/MOD]

[Note to any mods that review this. The links are broken. But if some astute person repaired them they would go to Reaper products...just being resold at insane prices. But take them out if you must.]

Book straight from the source: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Warlord/sku-down/25101

Edited by Qwyksilver
Links removed

I haven't played beyond 300 points, trying to get my usual group to pkay something new - not to mention me getting time to play anything at all - is a pain in the arse.

Wow. It's like you're me. :(

Like Bryan said they don't have the manpower to push Warlord. If it's going to be pushed it needs to be done by the fans (again).

Actually he said they don't have the human resources to do anything with Warlord while they concentrate on Bones III. Thus (again) giving us (false) hope that they may give it some love at some point in the future. Maybe SOON.

:down:

• Like 1

I haven't played beyond 300 points, trying to get my usual group to pkay something new - not to mention me getting time to play anything at all - is a pain in the arse.

Wow. It's like you're me. :(
Didn't we have that conversation last Kickstarter when you and I were screaming "ANHURIANS!" in tandem?
  • Like 3

So tangentially to this conversation, and to follow up on my previous post, I got the 2e Warlord book last week (though over the holidays haven't had much time to do much with it). I saw there was a sample battle towards the back, with a fixed army list for Necropolis and Dwarfs. I was already intending to collect dwarfs anyway, and I never had an "undead" faction, so I started loading up the shopping cart with a few items (the other army I intend to collect will be Elfs, because I am a dwarf & elf fanboy...). I'll probably use some of my GW dwarfs as proxies, and maybe I'll do a batrep at some point...

Edit: Re -- fluff. It's hard these days to become invested in any major property as a fan, whether it is gaming related, movie related (i.e. Star Trek) or the like. Invariably, the deeper you become invested, the more disappointed you will be when it goes right off the rails. That being said, however, fluff plays an important part in determining why we play the game, beyond pushing figures together and rolling dice. Why are we here? Why are we fighting? are key questions I ask myself whenever I face off against an opponent. Good fluff and background facilitate this, makes the game more logical, and thus enhances the experience. I play Battletech from time to time, and definitely wouldn't have stuck with it for 30 years if it didn't have such deep and engrossing background fluff.

Damon.

Edited by Lars Porsenna

Invariably, the deeper you become invested, the more disappointed you will be when it goes right off the rails.

Damon.

I just watched a hilarious video where some dude burned his 8th Edition Hardback Warhammer Rulebook on a hibachi. The thing took forever to burn. Sad portentous mood music playing throughout...

• Haha 1

To be fair, if the BRB had enough Dark Elf fluff in it to contain the name "Malus Darkblade" then a hibachi is too good for it new edition or not.

The 8th edition is the one being closed out.. [?] ..and the one the nutter burned.

Getting back to Warlord. It does not need to go to a v3.0. Two is good the way it is.

If something new happens someday Warlord 2.1 if anything.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

Invariably, the deeper you become invested, the more disappointed you will be when it goes right off the rails.

Damon.

I just watched a hilarious video where some dude burned his 8th Edition Hardback Warhammer Rulebook on a hibachi. The thing took forever to burn. Sad portentous mood music playing throughout...

Dramatic, but silly.  There is nothing stopping you from playing an older version of a game if you have the friends to do it. 

A game is only as dead as the people's want to play it.  Heck, I still love Marvel Super Heroes and Legions of Steel.  They have been "dead" for years!

• Like 2

If you want fluff, look up the faction books. I believe all the original 8 were published. They're still floating around places like ebay, and amazon.

I thought only 3 faction books were released? Crusaders, Reven, and Necropolis . . .